Have You Chosen Your Prescription Drug Coverage For Next Year

Discussion in 'Money & Finances' started by Shirley Martin, Nov 22, 2019.

1. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

I've been looking to see which plan will be better for me. Based on what I found, I think I'm going to switch. Medicare has a site where you can compare plans.

Have you checked? What do you look for when you compare?

Bess Barber likes this.
  2. Tex Dennis

Tex Dennis Veteran Member
    Registered

Sure have I took my meds names and looked at different ones compared co-pays if any with monthly costs and remained on the same one, it works for me. Same for drug plan also. I am limited to 1 pharmacy though CVS.
    3 main meds and zero cost on all.

3. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

We both have a Medicare Advantage plan. Ours has been through Humana, and before that we had United health Care, and both were excellent. this year, I am going to stay with Humana and Bobby is switching back to United Health Care.
    We get the Silver Sneakers plan with both companies, but Humana covers the swimming area and UHC covered the gym area with the weight lifting equipment, which is what Bobby uses.
    Why they only cover part of the fitness center, I don’t know, but that is how it works, at least with this fitness center.

I get my heart meds from Humana online, and I really like that because I can just go to the website and re-order when I need more of anything, and usually they let me know before I even order that it is time for a refill.
    Plus, we get the $100 worth of the OTC items each month, and I can order all of my vitamins on line that way, too.

4. Bess Barber

Bess Barber Veteran Member
    Task Force Registered

I'm not old enough for Medicare. At this time, I don't take any prescription drugs, so I've not yet dealt with any plans.

5. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

I go to an independent agent that finds me the best price for the drugs I take. Too much mumbo jumbo and tricky wording for me on the online places. Sad thing is even if you pick the best plan, remember that the amount of pills allowed per month may be different than what your doctor prescribes and is supported by medical science. This happened to me and I had to file for an exclusion that was several phone calls causing me to get aggravated and behaving very unladylike. I worked all my life for a few benefits and now they wait till I get on the rug, then pull it out from under me every chance they get. I finally got it all straight and then I received a letter telling me I will have to do it all again next year. It causes my hemorrhoids to flare. Maybe by next year I will get them removed and I will become a sweet old lady and such elder abuse won't bother me so much.

6. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

I will keep the same coverage with CVS/AETNA RX by mail.

Faye Fox likes this.
  7. Shirley Martin

Registered

The one I'm looking at covers all my (3) meds and I can use my local drugstore. I probably could save a little by buying them online but I like to support local businesses whenever I can. The plan I'm considering costs a few dollars less than the one I have.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2019
    Faye Fox likes this.
  8. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

@Shirley Martin You must have some expensive drugs! I can't imagine paying that kind of money just for part D.

9. Shirley Martin

Registered

Faye Fox likes this.
  10. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Good! glad that was a typo!

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  11. Shirley Martin

Registered

More like a brain fart. ;)

12. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Was going to start a thread about supplement drug plans, but just like Beth recommended to me "do a search before starting a new thread" and here is a thread.

Anyway, we currently have Humana Drug Plan each. First got it in 2015 and it was $15.70 per month for each of us. Just informed, from Humana, that our Drug Plan will go up to $78.10 per month (premium) starting in January 2022. The Plan has gone up each year since we first got it in 2015.

All of my meds come from the VA, but a Medicare doctor or a pharmacy can not prescribe any kind medication thru the VA. So, if we have some type of emergency on the weekend, and have to go to the ER and an ER doctor prescribes us with some kind of medication/medications, we have to have a Drug Plan to help pay for it.

Our monthly premium just seems to high for a Plan that we use very little. In fact, Humana doesn't cover certain meds. We are now looking for a new Drug Plan and, hopefully, a cheaper one than a premium of $78.10 per month.

We just have regular Medicare A/B, but do have the medical supplement and Humana for drugs.

Beth Gallagher and Yvonne Smith like this.
  13. Yvonne Smith

I just got my update from Humana, and they are making a few changes this year, but pretty much everything stays the same. I really like the 365go from Humana, because I get points for walking and a gift card each month for the points, and our plan includes the Silver Sneakers, so we can go to the fitness center as often as we want to.

14. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

That's great for you. But, what we are looking for is a new drug plan and I was seeking info here at perhaps who has got what. And, any recommendations for a new one for us.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  15. Yvonne Smith

We have an insurance agent who specializes in medicare plans, and each year he reviews the new plans coming out and then lets us know if he thinks something different would work better for our needs.
    I totally would recommend finding an independent agent (maybe where you have the auto or renters insurance through) and ask them to review what you want/need for your medicare plan, and see what he can find for you.
    We did not get any of the extra benefits that we have now before we started letting Jassen manage our insurance for us. It doesn’t cost anything to do this, and they understand the plans coming out much better than trying to decide on your own.

Beth Gallagher likes this.