Have You Ever Been To A Circus?

Discussion in 'Other Reminiscences' started by Jayce Gray, Mar 13, 2023.

1. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

Yes, I was on my paint QH and never asked for anything he just started cutting and moving one cow to a corner of the pasture. Cow did not want to go but I could almost see a smile at the corners of QH's mouth. He never had any training.

Cody Fousnaugh and Yvonne Smith like this.
  2. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I'd venture to guess that fully 3/4 of those people attending the Houston Rodeo never see a single rodeo event. They attend for the entertainers, the trail rides, the food, the carnival rides, and for a chance to be a rhinestone cowboy for a few hours.

Mary Stetler likes this.
  3. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Then again, the same thing could be said about any of the major rodeos that happen in Texas and, for us, we simply can't believe that. But, I won't totally dispute your post either. As for myself, I definitely wasn't a "rhinestone cowboy" when I was in the arena or out. I went to a Roping School, had the gear/horse and competed.

There are major rodeos in different parts of America where there is no carnival rides, like in Denver, Colorado. And, each rodeo performance in Denver is pretty much-to-all sold out. IOW, Beth, you simply can't say that all rodeo fans are "rhinestone cowboys/cowgirls". However, Billy Bobs Nightclub in Ft Worth would probably have a lot of them. We've met Pam Minick, who, with her husband, are part owners of that nightclub. And, Pam has credentials that show she definitely isn't the "rhinestone" type.

But, bottom line here, I do understand what you're saying in your post. Wife and I have met, and seen, quite a few of the "rhinestone" type, especially at the Cowboy Christmas Gift Show that was part of the National Finals Rodeo in Las Vegas last month. A whole lot of "rhinestone"!!

4. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Nowhere did I say that ALL rodeo fans are rhinestone cowboys. I have been to the Houston rodeo several times in the past and never saw a single rodeo event. The last time was to see ZZ Top in 2012. I was wearing regular clothes.

Mary Stetler likes this.
  5. Tony Nathanson

Tony Nathanson Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Yes, popularity = money. Where money is concerned, compassion, conscience & respect for living beings always takes a back seat.

6. Tony Nathanson

Tony Nathanson Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

You wore regular clothes at a rodeo? And you weren't turned away at the entrance?? :D

Beth Gallagher and Mary Stetler like this.
  7. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

If I'm not mistaken, any concert at the Houston Stock Show & Rodeo is held on a stage that comes out of the side of the arena. Now, apparently, any concert goers that only want to see the concert, are let in for the concert after the rodeo is over. Because, from what I understand, a ticket to the rodeo includes the concert.

As far as clothes go, if a person has no "western" style clothes, you'd have to wear regular clothes. Heck, not everyone that attends a rodeo is wearing western clothes. We'd never go to one without wearing western clothes, then again, we are both very, very serious rodeo fans. I didn't use to be a "fan", as I was in "contestant" category with the Association. But, today, I'm a fan.

Actually, Houston, just like Ft Worth and San Antonio, are huge paying rodeos. Those that rodeo for a career, have to go enter those. It's a must.

8. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Yawn. I don't know how this thread got sidetracked; it's supposed to be about going to the CIRCUS. When I went to the circus, I wore regular clothes, too. I don't have a clown costume to wear.

Sorry for the hijack, @Jayce Gray .

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  9. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

How did it get sidetracked? Talking about circus's and those that like/loved it, like us and other "animal" related events that some love and some get disgusted with. Rodeo, zoos, horse racing, greyhound racing are among that subject. As is hunting can be.

10. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Okee-Dokee…So, how about this:
    Who remembers “The Big Top” TV series from way back in the 50’s?
    After my aunt divorced her first husband, Jack Sterling, the Ringmaster, came close to being her second husband or rather, my uncle.

By the bye, Ed McMahon was the clown.

11. Julia Curtis

Julia Curtis Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I have but we cannot have those here anymore because the animals are sometimes not treated well so they banned them here.We still have the trapeze artists and clowns and clown cars ect.But the trapeze artists....definitely my favorite circus act.