Have You Received Your Seasonal Flu Shot Yet?

Discussion in 'Viruses' started by Lon Tanner, Sep 17, 2021.

1. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

NO! not getting it. Never have.
    Just saw a new vaccine advertised on TV for seniors and read about a new flu that affects seniors and children to be vaccinated against. I am running out of fingers to count the flu vaccines we need.
    Anyone catch a cold the last couple of years? No? Maybe it is because the common cold is also a covid virus. (true)

Yvonne Smith and John Brunner like this.
  2. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

People who tell us we should never get ill are sick.

3. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

All medications are not good for all people. That is why it should always be an individual's choice.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  4. Hugh Manely

Hugh Manely Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Yes, 2 days ago.

As a side note, I've decided not to discuss vaccines with anyone, since it causes so much divisiveness.
    Its not worth the hard feelings I've received from some, including church friends, neighbors, car shop repairmen, and even family members.

So I keep quiet about it, listen to other viewpoints to be courteous, but then I either don't respond, or change the subject very fast. One reason is that my wife is immunocompromised, so I feel I must obey her doctor's orders, who is also a Christian lady who we know very well, and whose opinion we highly value. We will also get the booster shot in 2 weeks, as she advised.

I had a bad case of the flu 8 years ago, and when I went to the ER environment, it was terrible. I talked my wife into asking the doctor to give me a shot and let me go home, because I would die there - there was no room available, and people were coming in with all assortments of ailments, some by helicopters screaming, and the doctors and nurses were bumping into me while on a rolling bed as they scurried around, so finally they did what I requested and I went home at about 3 A.M. I was never so glad to be in my own bed.

I also had viral encephalitis once, which was much worse than the flu, along with the worst headache you can imagine. (I won't try to describe it)
    So, for me, if there is a chance I can avoid covid with a shot, then I'm all for it. I'm not opposed or offended by others' viewpoints. Its still a free country (I think).

Maybe I'm wrong, but that's how I feel. sorry.

John Brunner and Don Alaska like this.
  5. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

Many people have contracted various Corona viruses and they exhibit much like a Rhinovirus. That is exactly why many virologists believe that a large part of the population (about 80%) is already partially immune to the Covid 19 virus. It explains why only some people in a family get sick when exposed to the same viral source.

6. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

You are not wrong @Hugh Manely . Everyone is different and should be free to make their own choices. Some people with compromised immune systems are being advised to avoid vaccines and other sare being encouraged to get all the vaccinations they can. That is again precisely why it should always be an individual adult's choice as to whether to receive a drug or device or not.

7. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

• One year, I got the flu vaccine and I got sick
    • Two years, I didn't get the vaccine and I got sick, although I don't think there was a vaccine the first time.
    • In all of the other 67 years of my life, I didn't get the vaccine and I didn't get sick.
    Statistically, it looks like I'm better off without it. Every single time that I got the vaccine, I got sick, but nearly every time that I didn't get the vaccine, I didn't get sick.