Help! Unlocking Thermostat

Discussion in 'Home Improvement' started by Jayce Gray, Sep 23, 2023.

1. Jayce Gray

Jayce Gray Active Member
    Registered

Carrier non-programmable.

Followed manual instructions...somewhat..
    But..
    Can't get beyond U1 f

2nd step..Says "press mode button until the display is U3 of

But..does that mean hold..or keep pressing?

Totally frustrated

Jake Smith and Marie Mallery like this.
  2. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Normally that would mean to hold the button down until the display does whatever.
    If all else fails, try turning the circuit breaker off for a couple of minutes then back on. Most gadgets nowadays will go back to factory specs when they’re disconnected then reconnected.

Other than that…..dunno. Might need a new thermostat. For the most part, they’re inexpensive unless ya grab a “Nest” or something along that line.

3. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

What you might do is go to youtube and search for the exact thermostat that you have, @Jayce Gray , and see if someone there has posted better instructions.
    Even just listing more information about it here on the forum might help if anyone else here has the same kind of thermostat, or at least knows about them.
    Also, I moved your thread because it was in the section for forum help and not in the section for something in the home that you wanted help with.

4. Jayce Gray

Jayce Gray Active Member
    Registered

Went on Utube..in foreign language..and was way different than
    Manual inst ructions.

Also..shut off breaker for over 5 minutes..not..still locked

5. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

If you pressed the button down and held it there until it read U3 or whatever, then you could continue with the instructions. If you pressed the button and held it and it never changed reading, my bet would be 'the motherboard is bad' That is what they say when all the high tech hits the fan. You can get a cheap thermostat at our big box store. That is what I get because I hate throwing high tech, expensive stuff away. It is usually too expensive to repair.
    Yes, you have to manually set it up and down instead of pre-setting for each day. But I know when I am too hot or too cold anyway. And If I will be gone for a while, I just set it down or turn it off.