Hip And Knee Surgeries, Would You Do It All Over Again?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Janine Coral, May 27, 2024.

1. Janine Coral

Janine Coral Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

**Yes, my topic is just an informal survey of sorts and interest. I am gathering information like I always do and like
    to visit with others. As you said John, making an informed decision. Thank You..

John Brunner likes this.
  2. Joy Martin

Joy Martin Veteran Member
    Registered

Some surgeons I've run into on the net are discontuing doing anterior.
    Femoral nerve damage is given as reason.

If you can go to Prolotherapy and or Prozone I'd go here FIRST.....

Janine Coral likes this.
  3. Joy Martin

Registered

4. Janine Coral

Registered

Joy Martin, I have read your information and links.
    I've therefore gained more insight. Thanks!

John Brunner likes this.
  5. Janine Coral

Registered

* The Femoral nerve damages are painful, and the groin/pelvis areas are already issues for me also.
    Joy not a good experience for you having The Anterior Hip Replacement, I feel for you. The pain is
    gone as you said, but the other areas of damage are difficult, I can truly understand how difficult this
    had/has to be. I am glad you shared your story on this. Thank You.

Don Alaska and John Brunner like this.
  6. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

Not sure if I told you this yet But I had a bad fall from a horse, landed on my hip and nothing was done for it. I had broken a rib on my own elbow that didn't show up on xray (?) so I muddled on ok. Later I fell when cutting wood. I was pulling on a grape vine up in a tree and fell over a cinder block I'd moved to avoid falling over it. Blew out my shoulder and didn't do my hip much good.
    The hip got worse and eventually I had it assessed. It needed replacement. I was in good shape, basically, muscle wise, good bone etc. I had the required body mass to have an anterior replacement. I had it done and was very happy with the outcome.
    My concern for you would be your osteoporosis. I was told I had bones like rocks. I had NO pain after the procedure. I was t the barn in two weeks. My surgeon was one of the best in the area.
    Hope your are taking vitamin d3 and k2-7 with red algae calcium.

Don Alaska and Yvonne Smith like this.
  7. Johnny Forster

Registered

I had my hip replaced 9 weeks ago, after putting it off for 6 months. I am 78. My surgeon uses just posterior. He has used posterior for over 20 years. He does nothing but hip replacements. People have to wait 4 months to have him do it, while other surgeons are waiting for patients to choose them for the anterior approach. My recovery was quick and painless. My only regret is that I didn't have it done when I was told I needed it. Of course if my other hip needs the surgery I will sign up immediately. BTW, I did research before the surgery and was all set to go with anterior. I am so happy I did not. Too much hype. The tried and true is always the best.

Don Alaska likes this.
  8. Joy Martin

Registered

Sounds like it's going good for you, hope it continues. I went with the STUFF I was hearing and I'm screwed up and did good for 5 MONTHS after surgery and it went downhill....that was 13 yrs ago.

9. Tony Nathanson

Tony Nathanson Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

So true! Rather like asking the dental receptionist/assistant, "Is he a good dentist?"

10. Tony Nathanson

Tony Nathanson Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I'm 71 & haven't had problems that are serious enough to consider it. I would consider it IF I were in constant, unbearable pain, so bad that the risk of a bad outcome would be worth it.

11. Johnny Forster

Registered

I am 78. I also put off my suggested total hip replacement for 8 months, thinking I could deal with the pain level. I was very concerned about the possible complications of surgery, including full anesthesia. Over those 8 months the pain from the bone on bone joint increased. Then I was told I had to wait 4 months for surgery (that is how backlogged the surgery center had been). Finally in late April of 2024 I had it done. Well, the surgery went smoothly, no complications so far, and I had a very quick and easy recovery. At 78, that is saying a lot. 9 weeks after surgery I feel completely normal, have had all movement restrictions lifted, and yesterday I walked almost 5 miles, my normal distance for a walk. I know that complications from surgery may occur any time, but I feel if I had to go through it all again, I would not hesitate. Also, after surgery my surgeon informed me that 1/2" of the top section of the femur was completely gone, due to the bone on bone contact. The femur is an extremely important part of the anatomy. I am lucky I came away with no associated problems. My advice to anyone is: if you are told you need a hip replacement, DO IT ASAP!

Don Alaska and John Brunner like this.
  12. Joy Martin

Registered

Your decision was YOURS, and it could have gone Bad, you are fortunate.....I'd NEVER telll another to do it ASAP....