Historic Louisiana Flooding

Discussion in 'Weather & Natural Disasters' started by Babs Hunt, Aug 13, 2016.

1. Marilyn Pahl

Marilyn Pahl Veteran Member
    Registered

It sickens me to see the misery once again, in Louisiana. I have friends that live in New Orleans who made it out during Katrina. They came back and some worked with Habitat for the Humanities. They tell me it's a struggle, but this is our home. One said, maybe Obama will give those in need, some left over moldy trailers, complements of FEMA like what was done to us during Katrina.:(

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

On the FEMA site, they discuss their new and improved trailers.

3. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

I haven't faced nearly the devastation these people have, although I have lost some belongings due to Hurricane Ike, and been displaced for several weeks. I love stories like this, because they give me hope for the future of our country. I wish more children (and adults) would focus on others, rather than themselves. Initially, he was trying to give the flood victims a few dozen pizzas, but with the help of social media, the word spread, and they ended up giving out over 300 pizzas to those dealing with the floods/aftermath.

Yvonne Smith and Ina I. Wonder like this.
  4. Marilyn Pahl

Marilyn Pahl Veteran Member
    Registered

Hurricane Wilma was our big headache. We didn't have to evacuate, and I wasn't going to anyway. After living here 30 yrs. and seeing nature unleash her furry you got to know the Ol'e Gal. We, me and Pip stayed in the trailer. I watched from my kitchen window the top of my carport rolled up like a piece of carpet and neatly placed in a corner of my lot. I had a Ruby Red grapefruit tree, and a tangelo tree that moved 2 feet, in the ground. Both died of shock. We were without power 2 weeks, but had a good supply of water, and kept big bags of ice, food in the washing machine covered with old blankets. Propane grill for cooking. There was one Chinese restaurant that was open. (Most Chinese cook with propane) restaurant was jammed pack.Red Cross came down the street and handed out cheese sandwiches and apple sauce. If another one hits us and most of us agree were overdue for one, I'll leave then ride it out, and sleep in the back of my Yukon. I don't trust shelters. One hurricane we were to evacuate and go to a shelter. Me and Pip drove around and decided to go back home. When we turned to go on our street Pip said, look no one left all the cars are in the driveways. I drove down the street, people watching TV eating popcorn, drinking soda. We just left everything in the car and brought in the necessary items, just in case we had to leave.

5. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

When was Wilma, @Marilyn Pahl?

Sometimes I stay, and sometimes I evacuate. It just depends on how the storm seems, as well as my budget and whether I have a place to go. Each storm is different, so it can be difficult to gauge, and despite making the best efforts to determine where the storm will go and how fierce it will be, sometimes errors are made, and lives are lost. So far so good this season, but the tropics seem to be heating up, and I'm hearing about multiple potential storms that could affect us, and that always makes me a bit antsy. I love the stories of those reaching out to help others, but I wish more would do so. Each area has vulnerabilities, and I get tired of hearing people in other areas who seem to feel invulnerable, complaining about people dealing with floods. Not every flood is able to be forecast, and many aren't even along the coast.

6. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

Here in the DR we are having a good rain and well needed rain as a tropical wave is gong by. The local guru for sailing weather has made a forecast that just might be something to watch out for.

As discombobulated as 99L is, enough remains to generate into a serious threat once the LLC (low level circulation) and associated stacked layers over it reach the Bahamas. By avoiding the mountains of Hispaniola, the LLC and associated contents of 99L will trek over the Turks and Caicos and arrive at a short stalling point off the South Florida coast. Shallow waters, SST's at a premium, low wind shear and a steering current most likely into South Florida and the Gulf of Mexico look to be the likely table setup.

This is not cut in stone but the entire region should be on alert. Rapid intensification into a Cat 2 or more hurricane is a distinct possibility with little time to evacuate so there is an even more sense of urgency to prepare and supply.

if this scenario plays out, by crossing the Florida peninsula, it will be a caged animal in the Gulf as it will have to impact land somewhere. Sadly, it might impact Louisiana which definitely doesn't need any more rain much less a hurricane

7. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

Update on my daughter's home that got flooded. She and her family will hopely be back in their home by Christmas. And in answer to someone's question...yes, they did have very good flood insurance and they also were able to save many things that to the heart can not be replaced easily. There is blessing even among the devastation because when they move back in the inside of their home will be completely renovated and like a brand new home. My daughter was also able to make some adjustments to her home that will make it more user friendly to them as they get older. She removed the tub in the main bathroom and has replaced it with a walk in shower with safety fixtures installed for people of all ages. My daughter and her husband were fortunate that they could afford flood insurance and since they live next door to a Coulee, it is something that they should have. There are many senior citizens on fixed incomes especially around my husband and me that did not have flood insurance because they were not in a flood zone and did not have the money for flood insurance and their home flooded and they are doing the best they can to make their homes liveable again. There is a non denominational church not far from us that has been bringing these folks meals and also providing free materials and labor to help them fix up their homes. God bless all these people. We helped our daughter and some of our neighbors in gutting the insides of their homes too. People have to come together at times like these and help each other...even if you are strangers to each other at first.

For my daughter's family they should be home again by Christmas and in the meantime they have family to open their home to them so they could go on with their lives while the work is being done on their home. One thing I did not expect from this flooding was how it would affect my grandchildren whose home got flooded. Physically they are fine, but emotionally they are having problems dealing with what happened and it is affecting their school work, etc. My daughter finally has made Counseling Appointments for them because she tried talking to them about everything but nothing she said or has done has helped...and she wants to know how she can help them to cope and move on from what happened.