Hitchhiker

Discussion in 'Personal Diaries' started by Dwight Ward, Aug 14, 2021.

1. Dwight Ward

Dwight Ward Veteran Member
    Registered

I only went straight through North Dakota on the interstate and don't remember stopping anywhere except to hitch. Forgive me for saying so, but the parts of the state I traveled through looked bleak. Every state has great places to see, though, and I'm sure North Dakota does. Usually I'd take my time traveling but for some reason, this time I was in a hurry to get back to Oregon. I'll have to get a good map of the USA and tote up the states i saw. I never got to NY state or anywhere north of it and never got down to Florida but I traveled through the rest of them.... (later edit) I never got to Alaska, either.

Where is Bonners? What's it close to?

(later, later edit) ...nor Hawaii.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2021
    Yvonne Smith likes this.
  2. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Bonners Ferry is about 30 miles south of the Canadian border in northern Idaho. Here is a map showing where it is in relation to Canada and Montana. The red X on the map is where we had our little country cafe.

C4E06940-74CD-47AA-91DA-83ACE2F99F39.jpeg

Don Alaska likes this.
  3. Dwight Ward

Registered

I found a raggedy map of the US among my debris of yesteryear. Bonner's Ferry doesn't show up. Were you on the Park River or is that too far south?

4. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Wrong state, @Dwight Ward . I am talking about north IDAHO, and you are looking at North Dakota. Check the map I just posted for better idea of where Idaho is at.

Don Alaska likes this.
  5. Dwight Ward

Registered

Sorry about the confusion on my part. I worked a hard morning. That's my excuse.

One of the very worst jobs I've ever had was in Idaho on a potato farm. It was just over the line from Oregon. We worked in this huge Quonset-style bunker with potatoes piled 12 feet deep. My lovely job was to pick out bad potatoes as they came by on a belt. Someone at the end of the belt was doing the bagging and loading the forklift with stacks of bagged-up potatoes. It was always chilly in there.

They paid us in bad potatoes - no, just kidding, but we were getting not much over minimum wage. Fun, fun, fun.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  6. Dwight Ward

Registered

Bonners Ferry is on my map of the US. I see you were close to the Cabinet Mountains. I'm supposing there were a lot of cabinet factories there.