Home Made Ice Cream

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Frank Sanoica, Aug 2, 2021.

1. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Yeh, I'm right there with you. I hadn't thought of that aspect.

It wasn't until well into my adult life that I had a checkup with no cavities, but by that time there wasn't much unmolested real estate left to work with, so it was hardly an accomplishment.

I recall as a kid they thought that starchy saliva might contribute to cavities, so they gave you a big chunk of wax to chew on to generate spit and you filled a vial that got sent out for analysis.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  2. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

One of the dentists I went to after I move away from home commented that I must have grown up on well water, because of all the fillings and crowns. I never got a cavity in a good tooth after moving to city water. Only around the edges of old fillings and crowns. And I eat way more sweets now than when I was a kid. Ice cream was only for special occasions back then.

3. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

Let's not get too far off on a dental tangent. The topic here is homemade ice cream.

4. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Ken Anderson

The dental aspect may be significant to studying ice cream. Our old family doctor preached moderation to kids regarding very cold treats like ice cream and popsicles. He said the cold caused minute cracks in the tooth enamel. Our dentists agreed.....

Frank

5. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

As it pertains to homemade ice cream, I agree, but discussions that have more to do with dentistry and dental health, than about homemade ice cream, should be in a health thread.

6. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Ken Anderson

Okay!

Frank

7. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Yay, it's ice cream season!! (Pretty much year-round, but whatever.) I'm considering giving my Cuisinart ice cream maker to one of my kids and buying this 2-qt. Kitchenaid attachment for my stand mixer.

[​IMG]

It works on the same principle; freeze the bowl and then use the mixer dasher to churn the ice cream.

P.S. I miss @Frank Sanoica . :(

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  8. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

One of the things I have been thinking about doing, is using some of my homemade yogurt and kefir to make the frozen yogurt type of ice cream.
    It looks like there are a lot of ways to do it at home that are similar to the plastic bag idea that @Nancy Hart shared; but I found an electric one similar to Beth’s cuisinart model, and it was normally $43, but on sale for $19; so I cashed in some amazon points and ordered it.
    It is possible that if i can turn the kefir into ice cream that even @Bobby Cole might try some of it , and it will be a somewhat healthy treat for us since it will be made with fresh cultured milk that has lots of vitamins and probiotics.
    Once I learn to use it, I can try using fruit for sweetness and less sugar.

31BC8D5F-FDAA-4F39-80C2-BCA0B3E5EAB3.jpeg

Janine Coral and Nancy Hart like this.
  9. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

We will be making our ice cream real soon, just waiting for a tad warmer

10. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

The ice cream maker arrived and my first trial batch of frozen yogurt is in the machine . It is actually kefir, but the results should be about the same. I am making plain vanilla for a starter batch.
    I used almost a quart of kefir and a packet of sugar-free vanilla instant pudding, and just a little bit of extra vanilla and plain sugar to sweeting it a bit more, but basically, we are having a bowl of kefir and it should be healthy and make a good dessert.

Beth Gallagher likes this.