Home Remedies

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Diane Lane, Feb 17, 2016.

1. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

There is more and more proof that weed killers like round up gives long lasting health problem even cancer. Even using heavy black plastic will eleminate weeds.

2. Bonnie Thomas

Bonnie Thomas Veteran Member
    Registered

Well you guys convinced me not to go to the store and buy some Weed n Feed. ... will give the weeds some ole fashioned muscle. Will take a shovel and start digging out the bad stuff coming up in the grass. A lot of work, but that is doable for me. Thanks for reminding me about all the information that I should already know.

Dogs like the grass, so putting down stones won't work in the backyard, and black plastic won't either.

Diane Lane likes this.
  3. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Actually, many times, just a lot of mowing will get rid of weeds, as long as there is some grass growing in the area.
    An example would be when I first moved back up to north Idaho, and the area where I had my trailer house set on had been used as a loading area after being logged.
    There was very little grass at all; but lots of weeds, scrub ferns, and thistles, and the rest was bare dirt where the logging operations had cleared everything that was growing.
    Since weeds need to grow and go to seed to actively spread, if you can keep them mowed down so they can't grow and seed out, then the grass can grow and spread.
    I used the riding lawnmower over about an acre or so at least once each week, plus I took the weedeater and cut the most invasive weeds clear back to the roots each time.
    It took a while to work, and I also planted grass and clover mixture to help the grass spread faster; but the end result was a lush green lawn, and eventually all of the weeds were killed or crowded out by the grass.

4. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

Diane, if you want to kill everything in your yard, Grass and all, you can use salt. You can get large bags of loose salt at a feed store.
    You need to have a plan for your yard because with nothing growing your yard will be a muddy mess when it rains.

Diane Lane likes this.
  5. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

Thanks, Sheldon. I hadn't thought about salt, but I suppose it does the same or similar as the vinegar, which dries everything from the inside out. I'd be o.k. with leaving the dried out plants there, especially out back, where no one would even see it. I've considered doing the meadow thing mentioned on Ken's link, but putting in stone pathways to/from the shed and gate. I'd really like that option if it didn't involve weeding, since that would present the same problem I have currently.

At least my foot is healing somewhat, and the swelling isn't as bad as it was. I've never encountered this particular weed before, at least that I recall. From what I've read, some use it as food or medicinally, but obviously I wouldn't, since I'm apparently allergic. http://urbanherbology.org/2011/03/25/cleavers-nlkleefkruid-galium-aparine/ I've seen people complaining about it on Facebook, and this is the first year I've heard about it, so for some reason, it seems more prevalent than usual.

Sheldon Scott likes this.
  6. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

Oh wow. I think you've answered a question I've had for a couple of years now. We lived up north for a year and a half, during which time I wasn't paying a lot of attention to my yard here in Millinocket, other than to mow it every few weeks to avoid nasty letters from the town. Then when we returned, there was this interesting looking weed growing up along the fence. I didn't know what it was, but it looked interesting so I didn't mow it down. I have tried figuring out what it was from a weed identification book that I have, but to no avail. I'll have to look closer in the spring once things start growing again but I think it was similar to this stuff.

7. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

We have mentioned the benefits of taking apple cider vinegar in quite a few topics on this forum; but this one seemed the most appropriate for adding this newly learned tidbit of information.
    I have tried adding ACV to water and then drinking it; but like Ken mentioned, it is pretty sour tasting unless you sweeten it with something. But since it is also very healthy and good for helping everything from colds to arthritis, and supposedly also good for losing weight, I have been adding some to my water again.
    The other day, I read that adding the ACV to sparkling water makes it taste better. Actually, they said it made it taste like a glass of wine. I fizzed up a bottle of water in the SodaStream this morning and added a couple spoonfuls of the Braggs ACV, and I am drinking it.
    No, I would not say it tastes like having a glass of wine; but the carbonation does help a lot; so if you are inclined to add ACV into your diet, this might be an interesting experiment to try.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2017
    Frank Sanoica likes this.
  8. Doc James

Doc James Veteran Member
    Registered

hello!.
    Yes, Home remedies are quite helpful if you know the properties of the lants you use because most of our present medications in the market have been based on the healing proprties of the plants that was used during the old times. You can boil guava leaves and use it as an antiseptic feminine wash. It can also be used as an antiseptic wash for cuts, but should be rinsed off with warm and clean water. Boiled ginger can also be used for coughs and sore throat.
    I also suggest boiling the seeds of bitter gourd and drinking at least half glass of it 2 times a week in order to lower your blood sugar for our folks here who has diabetes. eating garlic raw will also help lower blood pressure and blood cholesterol. Hope this will help.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  9. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

Additionally, garlic is an excellent source of manganese and vitamin B6. It is also a very good source of vitamin C and copper. In addition, garlic is a good source of selenium, phosphorus, vitamin B1 and calcium.
    Vitamin B1 is for Beri beri / congestive heart failure/ senility caused by Korsakoff syndrome
    Copper is what the body need for elastin which gives the body flexibility stops aneurisms
    Selenium has many benefits one is Keshan disease/ myocardial fibrosis

10. Emma Smith

Emma Smith Veteran Member
    Registered

A Miraculous Detoxifying Drink that Fights Obesity, Diabetes and High Blood Pressure

2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar

2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice

1/2 - 1 teaspoon cinnamon (recipe stated 1 Tablespoon)

1 tablespoon honey

1 cup water

Mix all ingredients together.

I add ice, 2 pkts Stevia instead of honey, and spices: cayenne pepper and turmeric.
    Used the juice from half a lime instead of lemon juice.

I've made this twice.
    It's very good.

Bess Barber likes this.
  11. Jeff Elohim

Jeff Elohim Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Guessing is what most doctors and clinics do, or not - they just say here's a rx for pain, take it (and come back later for more, on and on and on, and then later for more rx for the side effects).

The world's best pain reliever is what the liver (inside our bodies) produces itself. No toxicity, no bad side effects, gentle enough for young children , octogenarians, birds, kittens, puppies and so on. It does not cost much , so don't expect any ama controlled doctor to prescribe it.

12. Jeff Elohim

Registered

Cool.
    I've been taking this basically for over 30 years, and it is best health results as you noted, and many more as well.

13. Jeff Elohim

Registered

Instead of just for a day or a month,
    life changing diet step by step eliminating all the foods and drinks and sweets that harm our health
    results in freedom from most aches and diseases.

Not even buying nor allowing those illness-causing things in our homes is a life change that results in glowing skin, radiant , healthy.