Homemade Bread

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by John Brunner, Aug 29, 2020.

1. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I've never heard of that, Tony. Wish I had seen the CC show.

2. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

According to the show the recipe was brought from Italy to Brooklyn. The recipe was changed to ingredients that are available, and that's what we have today. The chef on the show talked about his uncle buying some prosciutto bread and as they walk down the street just ripping a piece off and eating it, nothing formal. When we buy it we serve it sliced, it can't be used with meals or by itself like you were eating a large soft pretzel.

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  3. Beth Gallagher

Registered

I was just thinking how the "cooking expert" shows always screw with recipes. I lived in Baton Rouge for a few years where Cajun food is King. I learned how to make a lot of things from Cajun friends and bought a few cookbooks from local churches and a Cajun restaurant. When I see some TV Chef making "gumbo," I want to yell at the screen... "YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG!!!" :D:D:D I cringe when I see how they mess stuff up.

Mary Stetler and Tony Page like this.
  4. Beth Gallagher

Registered

So I was sucked in by yet another Youtube video. Some British guy making crumpets of all things. It looks fairly easy (she said, foolishly) so I have ordered crumpet molds and I will give it a go.

Here's the video in case you'd like to see. I recommend playing at 2x speed with the sound off, and ignore all the built-in ads for stuff he's selling. :rolleyes: It's like an infomercial with a recipe. (10 minute video)

5. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Interesting he says to let it proof for 45 minutes. I was looking at another recipe (that used buttermilk) and it was rated 3/5 stars. That recipe also said 45 minute rise, but people said it needed 3-4 hours. Some recipes call for buttermilk, others say to use spelt flour. I would imagine those are regional nuances.

It's interesting that he showed those shower cap bowl covers. I bought a multiple-diameter set of cheaper ones at a dollar store years ago, and always use them when I make yeast breads.

6. Beth Gallagher

Registered

It doesn't appear that the "batter" rises as much as regular dough; it just gets all bubbly from the yeast. I'm going to follow his directions and see what happens.

I need to look at his website for all the crap he's selling. :rolleyes: Those shower caps made me "lol". I just use plastic wrap. I do like that tiny little whisk he used for the yeast starter, though.

Krystal Shay and John Brunner like this.
  7. John Brunner

I use a big bowl for my Italian bread. Plastic wrap is barely wide enough. When you gotta deflate it a few times and have to recover, the cap makes it so much easier.

I didn't notice the whisk, I kinda bounced through it. I think I watched one of his vids before, but I can't recall which one.

8. Beth Gallagher

Registered

I found a tiny whisk on Amazon :oops:, and also this...

upload_2023-5-29_1-2-2.png

I'm pathetic. :D

John Brunner likes this.
  9. Krystal Shay

Krystal Shay Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I didn't watch the whole video yet but, to me, if you use the buttermilk instead of the water, and butter for the oil, his recipe for crumpets looks similar to a biscuit recipe with yeast added to it. I’ve never made crumpets. If you make them, let us know how they taste.:)

10. Krystal Shay

Krystal Shay Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Here you go, John.:) Plastic wrap for your big bowls. 18x2000. I have used this size of wrap for years for all my big bowls and platters, and to wrap up my homemade pizzas that I freeze. The roll will last you forever.:p

wrap.jpg

John Brunner likes this.
  11. John Brunner

I have no qualms when I buy any cooking appliance or gadget, other than fretting over storage space.

12. Beth Gallagher

Registered

I'm thinking they will be similar to an English muffin but we'll see. Also seems that he's making a thinner batter rather than "dough." I'm wondering how it will go when cooking them in a skillet on top of the stove... there will likely be a learning curve to keep from burning the bottoms.

Last edited: May 29, 2023
    John Brunner and Yvonne Smith like this.
  13. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

I have been looking forever for a plain, stainless steel whisk that is not made in China. Their 'stainless steel' items always seem to incorporate something other than stainless steel. Same for India.

John Brunner likes this.
  14. John Brunner

It depends on how much you want to pay, Mary. I guess that's always the issue...$15 for an American made whisk, or $9.99 for a 3 pak from overseas.

Here are Amazon search results. There are 5 stainless steel Made in USA whisks and one silicone one under the Results banner. All the rest (Highly Rated and More Results) are not American made.

Meadow Home Country Store offers 19 American made whisks. They offer free shipping on orders over $35. I've never bought from them, they just came up in the search results.

I doubt that we'd be able to find USA Made whisks (or much else) in the stores. All this makes me miss the kitchen stores there used to be in the malls.

15. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

I bought one 'made in USA' and the handle came off second use.:mad: Not free return.
    Still questionable source

John Brunner likes this.