Hottest Time In Decades

Discussion in 'Weather & Natural Disasters' started by Thomas Stillhere, Jun 15, 2022.

1. Teresa Levitt

Teresa Levitt Veteran Member
    Registered

You're magic...thanx!

2. Thomas Stillhere

Thomas Stillhere Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

The cord is warm but the plug is a breaker so if there were something amiss it would trip very easy. We just had a storm move thru and the power tripped 3 times over an hour, the unit came back on each time after the system restarted. I think it was just a misfire in the digital controls because I never turned off the power to the unit while I was trying to get it to turn back on. It cooled off outside real good but it will be short lived. Got 100 degrees coming over the weekend, that should be fun. My property owner called and if it does continue to give me problems they will get a new one, for now it is still cooling.

Don Alaska and Beth Gallagher like this.
  3. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

So now my central A/C has taken a poop. The electronic thermostat has died. I've reset the breakers, but I think it's shot.

I've been concerned about this. I do not live like a normal human being. I won't even tell the guy to mind the mess, I'll just make him sign a waiver before he comes in. Oh, well. It will only hurt for a moment.

4. Teresa Levitt

Registered

oh my...if somebody's coming out to repair...you are soooo lucky....i sure hope that they can get it going ...soon

5. John Brunner

I've yet to get a return call from the message I left. At least these people like me. It's a small business...the tech, his brother, one other guy and his wife. He replaced my unit a while ago and when it was done called to ask if I could pay immediately, so I drove by their home on my way from work and dropped off a check that afternoon (you know how small businesses are.)

Don Alaska likes this.
  6. Teresa Levitt

Registered

we just got a welcome huge storm...everything is soaked...critters happy...
    i hope the ac people get out there ...or you get a good soaker....20 degrees cooler here

Don Alaska likes this.
  7. John Brunner

Well, this is not good. I stuck my head under the crawlspace and it looks like a lake, probably originating under the air handler unit. I was just under there a couple of days ago fixing a small leak in the kitchen drain, and it was fine. This must have just happened overnight.

damn

Don Alaska and Thomas Stillhere like this.
  8. Teresa Levitt

Registered

do you have to pump it out

9. John Brunner

maybe. And it has to be coming from the air handler...there are no plumbing sources, unless that storm blew it in.

10. Teresa Levitt

Registered

if never did blow in before...yeah....shame ac's are $$...window units sometimes cheaper and cheaper to use...blocks our view tho

11. Thomas Stillhere

Registered

My A/C started working night before last set at 72, I really believe the digital controls got messed up with a brownout and turned the compressor off. I pulled the breaker plug and then reinserted it and started it back up and it has ran good since that time. Yesterday there were 3 power shutdowns due to a storm that came thu and it still came back online after the normal wait for a power loss.

12. Thomas Stillhere

Registered

Sounds like the drain hole on the evaporator pan is plugged, usually lint or insulation. If you have a pvc tube coming out of the attic it should be the drain. Sometimes a good shot of compressed air into the tube will clear it at least until it can be cleaned. I guess my post with my kitchen window unit was contagious, but the good news is it is now back online, hope the same for you. It's times like these when I wish I lived in Alaska...

13. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

That's a good possibility, Thomas. There's usually a float in the drain pan that will shut it down if the pan gets full.

John, I hope it's a simple fix.

14. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

Was just thinking back to when I first married my present hubby. He wanted to buy an air conditioner (1978) I said, What do we need an air conditioner for? It is only in the 90's for four days a year!
    Actually, I am just cheap. His factory closed for two full weeks in the summer, for the heat every year, at least. So we got a window air conditioner. I remember a hurricane in the sixties in NY. Snow! Heat...There are famed pictures of the great snow and flooding of NYC early in the last century.
    We are over populated. We destroyed the rain forests which has an effect on climate. We have destroyed farmland which has a definite effect on climate. We have destroyed the oceans. the stories and info about the life in the oceans dealing with plastic are heart breaking. That is where I would start repair if I were President and truly concerned with our future.
    Climate changes.
    My car was not at fault for the end of the ice ages.

15. Teresa Levitt

Registered

and...aiming solar panels towards the thin ozone layer....i wonder