Hottest Time In Decades

Discussion in 'Weather & Natural Disasters' started by Thomas Stillhere, Jun 15, 2022.

1. Thomas Stillhere

Thomas Stillhere Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I think all these rocket launches aren't helping our ozone layer at all.

Don Alaska and Teresa Levitt like this.
  2. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

There's a small lake under my house. We'll see...

3. Teresa Levitt

Teresa Levitt Veteran Member
    Registered

first...it's "global warming "...then those polar expresses came down....they changed it to "climate change"...ozone depletion....glacial melt...blame it on the cows even.....anything to push their global agenda....
    1936 dust bowl...extreme heat wave over vast areas of farmland...drought...high winds ....
    caused by...? cows?...ha!

Thomas Stillhere and Don Alaska like this.
  4. John Brunner

Houston, we have chilly!!!

There was a connector in the air handler under the house that got corroded, so he removed it and direct-connected things with wire nuts. These people are so nice. The guy got sick of managing people so he works alone and brings his wife with him as his helper. She manages things via cell phone and a service they use.

5. Teresa Levitt

Teresa Levitt Veteran Member
    Registered

Yea!...now back to bizness here!...ha!

John Brunner likes this.
  6. Thomas Stillhere

Thomas Stillhere Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Two happy endings today, my new A/C is delivered tomorrow, plus I do have good air in this room I spend all my time.

7. John Brunner

That's good. I'd rather live in cold than sticky heat & humidity.

Thomas Stillhere and Don Alaska like this.
  8. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Come on up, @John Brunner !

John Brunner likes this.
  9. John Brunner

Hey! You have no right to make me live by my hyperbole. ;)

I'd love to see you, but Alaska's just a little too chilly. There is no place that is "Just Right."

Last edited: Jun 17, 2022
    Don Alaska likes this.
  10. Jeff Elohim

Jeff Elohim Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

That's the opinion of a lot of people,
    but swamp coolers, evaporative coolers, here in oklahoma even in hot humid august weather
    work fine and drop the temperature around twenty degrees plus don't dry out the air
    and
    nicely
    cost a fraction of what a/c's cost to operate.
    Home Depot , it looks like, has stocked up on them for over a month and
    it may , or may not be, a best seller now.

The first time we used one it was an old one not hooked up in an upstairs apt of a two story house .... we did not have money for an ac, nor even a hose to hook up the water for it, but found a nice usable long hose in the dumpster of a business that cut the ends off, a great strong durable black hose,
    and was able to hook that up to fill as needed automatically with water,
    and the thing was DELIGHTFULLY COOL to sit in front of , all the way through the three rooms of the apt, and it did dramatically cool the entire three rooms even on the hottest and most humid days of the month.

Thankfully, no one had told me that it would not work.... or I might not have tried it.

11. Jeff Elohim

Jeff Elohim Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

.... just a thought,
    how about underground somewhere,
    where the temperature is constant all year, all day, all night, all the time ?

John Brunner likes this.
  12. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

We have a heat pump and, although it's billed as something that would reduce our dependence on heating oil, and does, it does a better job of cooling in the summer than it does heating in the winter. I think heat pumps use a similar technology to swamp coolers.

13. John Brunner

I've been in such places with work, where manufacturing was done in reclaimed GPO document storage caves.

14. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

A convenience store I go to has a problem with the drains from the pans getting clogged on their roof top units. When that happens they call me because the clogged drains causes an overflow of the pans and yup, there’s water all over the place and the panels on the ceiling get soaked also.

I bought a very small wet vac from Walmart (about $29.00) and have been using it to suck out the drains. There are times when that doesn’t work so I reverse it and it throws whatever is in the drain back into the pan which allows the water to drain fully. (somewhat like @Thomas Stillhere suggested)

Whilst the water is draining I then put the thing on vacuum again and the gunk and mold comes out with the water which is when I tried something different.
    After everything was drained, I emptied the wet vac and filled it with bleach water because I noticed that whilst blowing air into the drain earlier, some of the contents of the wet vac blew back into the drain and unfortunately, all over me as well.
    Bleach water isn’t the best thing there is to kill mold but I just needed to try to slow it down a bit because with the amount of condensation those big units produce and the temps that the units run at, the mold problem is increased especially this time of year and this year it’s even hotter so far than it’s been for the last couple of years.

I think the bleach thing might have worked because for the last couple of years they call me to do it about every 2 weeks and it’s been almost 3 weeks and everything is dry and the drains are still dripping over the edge of the flat roof.
    It’s a given that a whole lot of the bleach water didn’t come out of the wet vac but it might have been just enough to keep things dry for a while longer.

Heck, all I do is string a cord and set up a ladder and 5 minutes later I have a $20 bill but doing it when it’s nearing a hundred degrees isn’t fun at all.

John Brunner and Beth Gallagher like this.
  15. John Brunner

I don't really know where this came from. I was working under there one rainy day and noticed a rivulet of water running down the inside of the foundation, the entire length of the house. I shoved a corrugated pipe on the uphill downspout to channel the water away and that fixed it. Perhaps the storms we had slammed the foundation with so much water that it flooded things. Also, I had plastic put down a couple of years ago, so the water no longer perks through the soil. I was under there just 3 days ago doing work on a kitchen drain and the water was not there then. I lived in a house with a crawlspace for 30 years and told myself the next one was gonna have a basement, yet here I am.

I have a huge shop vac and I have a small one. I also went to Lowes today and bought one of these:

[​IMG]

This one does not come with a foot valve (check valve), so I bought one of those and a bunch of fittings so I can cut down hoses and connectorize them at the proper length. I'll do it tomorrow since it's gonna be 20° cooler than today.

*sigh* It really messes with my head.