Hottest Time In Decades

Discussion in 'Weather & Natural Disasters' started by Thomas Stillhere, Jun 15, 2022.

1. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

I have water in the ceiling. It seemed to be dripping through the ceiling fan pipe so I called my roofer (newer roof). It is not the roof. Called handiman and he took out the fan and some drywall. He says there is 'pooling' has been happening for a while. In my CEILING. Need to get my plumber out. He has several cameras and can fix a pinhole leak, if needs be but he can't get out till end of next week.
    I am thinking of the movie Money Pit. as the area will expand.
    We had an episode of carpenter ants in the spring. I guess I should have listened to them.

2. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

It's really wearing me down. My last house was built in 1945 and it seems I was constantly under the crawl space. I had plastic put down a couple of years ago here, and asked what happens when you get a plumbing issue...the guy told me "Shop Vac." Under legacy circumstances all this water would perk through the dirt. Now I have a lined pool.

Don Alaska and Nancy Hart like this.
  3. Thomas Stillhere

Thomas Stillhere Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

My-pit-looking-at-the-entrance-doorway.png
    When the Army shut down all the Nike sites they were more or less abandoned for years until just about every one was sold or in some cases demolished. Over the years many sat so long the elevator seals rotted and allowed all the rain water to accumulate in the pit, there is one way in and no way out unless you have a pump installed under the elevator, it is the lowest point in the bunker. Water damage is severe and can destroy just about everything. Two photos of my old pit after it was shut down for over 10 or 15 years but notice the owner who had it leased installed a water pump under the elevator.

Attached Files:

Mary Stetler and John Brunner like this.
  4. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

It's the middle of July and it's 67 degrees right now; and yes, the sun is still up.

Thomas Stillhere and Don Alaska like this.
  5. Mary Stetler

Registered

Damn that global warming!
    Maybe with the cool summer we can have a warm winter.
    We finally got a little rain today, just in time.

Don Alaska likes this.
  6. John Brunner

7. Ralf Mannheim

Ralf Mannheim Well-Known Member
    Registered

Global warming refers to an only slight increase in surface temperature: you won't even notice it. It's like increasing the temperature in your air con by a degree or so.

The problem is climate change, where the slight increase in warming leads to multiple feedback loops, and that ironically includes warmer summers and colder winters because of significant changes in precipitation, etc.

Nancy Hart likes this.
  8. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

That's convenient.

9. Thomas Stillhere

Thomas Stillhere Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I think I read a long time ago that just a 2 degree shift in the tilt of earth or the rotation would be enough to just about wipe out all seasonal growth of crops to sustain life here on earth. Now no one speaks about the possibilities of that happening because it would take a catastrophic event for that to happen, like a major impact of a meteor. However no one has ever talked about the daily effects of soil erosion on the planet which blows away everyday we exist. We are really getting smaller and smaller as a planet and to some extent that has to effect the natural tilt that is so important for us to sustain life, or continue to sustain life. It does happen we just don't live long enough to witness it. One good example is our natural shore lines, the tiny island of Galveston loses a half inch of land mass per year. I was fortunate to land at midway island in early 69 heading back to Vietnam and looking out the window while landing you could see the WWII bunkers way out past the shore line and they were under water, naturally the island itself had shrunk. So we are losing mass as a planet and it must have some effect on many things that help us survive., we just don't realize it. I doubt we would ever be able to stop the act of nature.

Teresa Levitt likes this.
  10. Teresa Levitt

Teresa Levitt Veteran Member
    Registered

there are so many major upheavals in the world right now...i will say that climate change...global warming...whatever you name it..is our least problem

Thomas Stillhere likes this.
  11. Ralf Mannheim

Registered

According to skeptics, it's also what actually happens.

The problem is predicting the effects of positive feedback loops.

12. Mary Stetler

Registered

Ya know, Ralf. I don't doubt climate changes. Big ones have happened for various reasons. My car did not cause those.
    Actually, the earth wobbles on it's axis a good amount and magnetic north with it.
    There was a good documentary about deserts being caused by bad farming techniqes and in the US a man proved how we could bring worthless, eroding land back by proper stewardship, rotation with animal foraging (not feedlots) . He showed the test area next to an equally barren area to explain. Other scientists say the total destruction of the South American rain forests and others, contribute to the climate problems with earth rotational winds.
    I would say climate change is all because of my car exhaust and cow burps. But neither was around when the glaciers retreated.;)

13. John Brunner

[​IMG]
    Keep in mind volcanic eruptions and the ash reflecting back sunlight and the instant cooling. Then there's the rewarming as the ash dissipates. Pinatubo erupted in 1991 and cooled the planet. As the ash dissipated, the planet warmed. That had more than a 1° effect.

14. Ralf Mannheim

Registered

I think it's that and the distance between the earth and the sun that leads to increased warming and cold every few hundred thousand years. But throughout that time, we see average surface temperature anomaly and CO2 ppm tracking each other consistently, with CO2 ppm maxxing out at 300. As explained in another thread, that's been taking place for over a million years.

But it's now above 400, and the last time that happened was around 1.5 million years ago, when there was no large human population yet dependent on industrial civilization. What effect does increased CO2 ppm have on the climate?

According to the NAS, the top science organization of the U.S., CO2 ppm has both a forcing and a feedback effect, and it looks like the former is kicking in, as we've been detecting over 50 positive feedback loops since 2000. Skeptics funded Berkeley Earth to debunk the NAS but ended up giving the same confirmation.

In short, car exhaust, cow farts, etc., aren't causing climate change. Rather, they are leading to increased CO2 ppm that's operating as a forcing factor that makes multiple things lead to global warming, which in turn causes climate change.

15. Ralf Mannheim

Registered

One problem with graphs is that if one looks at only a short timeline, then one might miss the trend line. For example,

[​IMG]

In which case, what I would do is extend the timeline to around 600,000 years or so:

[​IMG]
    Hence, we see the natural cycles of warming and cooling, with surface temperature anomaly and CO2 ppm tracking each other. Except now, CO2 ppm is above 400, way above the natural cycles. What effect should that have?

The National Academy of Sciences reviewed multiple studies and concluded that CO2 ppm has a forcing and feedback factor, but the former is now kicking in, as seen in 50+ positive feedback loops for the last two decades. In short, CO2 is not the main cause of warming but forcing others. Why's that? Apparently, as skeptics and even deniers state, it's because the science is complex.

About the latter, they decided to fund their own independent study of the matter, Berkeley Earth. Unfortunately, the plan backfired, as their own study gave the same conclusions as NAS:

https://archive.thinkprogress.org/b...-end-and-essentially-all-due-to-be07aeadc3de/

http://berkeleyearth.org/archive/summary-of-findings/

So, the skeptics are back to square one, posting the same arguments across many sites: there's warming but it's natural, there's no warming but cooling, there's warming but it's due to cow farts, there's no warming or cooling, there's warming but it's not much because weather is climate, and on and on and on. In addition, they claim that scientists are in it just for the money while arguing that there's no global warming because the science isn't conclusive, which means more money is needed to study the matter further.

Meanwhile, the Pentagon, HSBC, the U.S. military, Lloyds of London, and even oil companies have been publishing reports for their personnel and clients preparing for the effects of climate change plus a resource crunch.

As for me, I think none of that will matter because for most people their families, businesses, and the present matter. In the end, these are not problems but predicaments: crises for which there are no solutions. Those 50+ positive feedback loops since 2000, conventional oil production peaking after 2005, the 2008 global financial crash, war after war, pandemics that scientists were warning about since the late 1990s, combinations of heat waves and record cold leading to floods, crop destruction, famine, a thirtyfold increase in arms production and deployment worldwide, etc., and more point to that.