How’s The Weather Where You Are?

Discussion in 'Weather & Natural Disasters' started by Ed Wilson, Oct 18, 2021.

1. Ed Wilson

Ed Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

Summer is over. We had an unseasonably warm and humid stretch for a while but last night it was 38F and tonight closer to freezing is expected. Wind has picked up and leaves are blowing around. Fall colors popping up all over.

I have to bring in the garden hose today before the freeze and shut off the water going to it in the basement. There might be three more grass cuttings left and that will be it, so I’ll have to find something else to complain about.

I started putting the bird feeder out but not a whole lot have visited yet but a few. Squirrels have noticed it though and I have had one raid so far. The feeder is on a clothes line and empty peanut jars flank it on the line so a squirrel has nothing firm to grasp because they rotate and he falls off. I re-positioned everything because it might have been where he could jump.

2. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Fairly warm today with a high about 40 F. Our hoses have been put away or blown out for a while. Bird feeder is out, but not full as there may still be bears awake. Lots of wind yesterday as a large low passed to the south of us, but no precip of any kind.

Marie Mallery likes this.
  3. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

This morning 58 degrees, 4PM this afternoon 78 degrees, bright sun all day. Humidity 23% 4PM, Dew Point 33 degrees. Nice!

Don Alaska and Marie Mallery like this.
  4. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

After noting but rain for past year we have had sunshine here in the 'Sunshine' state of Florida for past week or two.
    But today we opened all the windows and doors and turned on the heater all day long so it will be ready for winter.Tonight will be 53 coldest night so far this year.tomorrow back into 80s. Thats Florida for you.

Don Alaska likes this.
  5. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

It's getting cooler. In a couple of weeks I'll have to fire up the wood stove. I fire it up if the temps get below 40, since that's where heat pump efficiencies fall off.

It's getting tiresome to mess with this, but I got no choice if I don't want to freeze. Somehow once I get in the swing of things it's not so bad. And since I built and stocked those racks in the spring, I have a slew of seasoned wood this year.

Frank Sanoica and Don Alaska like this.
  6. Bibbi Wright

Bibbi Wright Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

We’ve had a couple of nights of heavy frost, but it’s set to rain today. DH has got all the garden furniture in winter storage, divided and replanted perennials, emptied our little pond - we don’t have fish in it and cut the grass for the last time. All that remains to do is sweep up the leaves that blow in from the sycamore tree next door. I wish they’d chop it down.

Frank Sanoica and Don Alaska like this.
  7. Joanna Newton

Joanna Newton Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Too cold. After a few days/nights of almost-nonstop rain, the temperatures dropped.
    This is the third day I've been trying to 'motivate' to go to the grocery store.

8. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Cool and breezy :)

Ed Wilson and Yvonne Smith like this.
  9. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

That sounds like us, too………we are in northern Alabama, where are you at @Joanna Newton ? I realize that cold for us down south is not the same as cold for people who live where it actually does get snow and cold winter weather; but nonetheless, I am cold.
    It has been one of those cold rains that feels like it could turn into ice-rain, although it is not actually cold enough for that yet. We are supposed to be below freezing by next week, so we have been bringing in some of the plants we keep outside during the summer, like the asparagus fern and the Christmas cactus and the aloe vera .

I can’t seem to really get awakened, even with a cup of coffee. I think it is time that my body wants to go into hibernation . (Maybe I was a bear in a previous incarnation ?)

10. Ed Wilson

Ed Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

That was me this morning. I forced myself to go out in the car and then parked outside to clean up the garage before putting the car back in. You have to get moving; preferably outside.

11. John West

John West Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Cold(er), rainy and a little windy - not good riding weather. In short, it sucks.

John Brunner and Don Alaska like this.
  12. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Windy and cool this morning--about 40 F. I expected a wind chill when I went out to check orchards and chickens, but it was rather pleasant for this time of year. I'm hoping for clear skies tonight for aurora viewing, but who knows?

Tom Galty and John Brunner like this.
  13. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

It's been rainy & sprinkling the past couple of days here in the middle of Virginia. The overnight temps are gonna be in the 30s starting Tuesday through the rest of the forecasted period (next Monday at least.) Time to fire up the wood stove.

I gotta find a way to make my butt give up the relationship it has with the couch (kinda sucks, they were made for each other), gather and cut some kindling, then get my stash of firewood and kindling loaded on the front porch, and season my soapstone stove for the winter.

I always whine about the work, but once it's done I really appreciate the "real heat" I get from burning wood. This will be my first year with a full load of wood that has pretty much fully seasoned, and with using black locust for my overnight burns.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2021
    Don Alaska likes this.
  14. Bruce Andrew

Bruce Andrew Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

We had our first frost a few mornings ago.

But rain, wow. We had about 3" over Tuesday night and another 2.5" last night. I came home from my buddy's house around 10 last night and my road (dirt) was flooded in two spots from gullies that come down the hills that fill up under heavy rain.

It was a little creepy cuz I couldn't see much, but I could tell that I was driving through about a foot of water (4WD truck). Today, in the daylight, those areas were scattered with limbs and branches that had washed down.

None of this is unusual, but it's been several years since it happened. Also, my sump pump has been running for the first time in a few years. But that's behind us now, cold (40s) and sunny most of next week.

Don Alaska and John Brunner like this.
  15. Joanna Newton

Joanna Newton Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

As I quickly add when asked that question: I'm not from here!!! but my current location is Iowa.

Don Alaska and Yvonne Smith like this.