How’s The Weather Where You Are?

Discussion in 'Weather & Natural Disasters' started by Ed Wilson, Oct 18, 2021.

1. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Supreme Member
    Registered

More thunderstorms this morning. Power flickering off and on. More predicted this afternoon with strong winds. :rolleyes:

Don Alaska likes this.
  2. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

We have been having adequate rainfall recently. Normally we don't have to mow the lawns etc so often in the summer as in the spring. We have been getting a steady 'all day' rain since midnight and it is one- ish pm now. I put my water catching pan out before I went to the barn this morning. I figured the rain was almost over and I might not get much, but it is still steadily going. The pan is overflowing.
    The mowing needed doing yesterday and will be a lot worse come Wednesday.
    All the animals demanded breakfast in bed instead of alfresco.
    Glad I picked beans and wild foods for the upcoming dinners yesterday.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2023
    Don Alaska and Nancy Hart like this.
  3. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

We arrived home last night. Left Washington at 83 F. and sunny, and arrived home at 59 and rainy. It was 43 this morning. This is somewhat normal weather for August but a bit cooler than most years. People come to Alaska in August because they think it will be the warmest month. Most are surprised as it is usually cooler and rainier than June and July. A guys house burned down on our road on Sunday. We received a test message that a building was on fire on our road but they didn't know which one. Our house sitter was at church when it happened, so she didn't know either. If she had been at our place and the fire hit the woods, she wouldn't have been able to get out as the road would have been blocked. There apparently was a windstorm on Saturday, but things were calm on Sunday. We came home to overflowing greenhouses and gardens, but our son had picked things about a week ago, so we are not overwhelmed.

Ken Anderson likes this.
  4. Mary Stetler

Registered

I KNEW there was a reason we had kids!;)

Don Alaska likes this.
  5. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Was 57 at 6 am this morning - 87 at 3:30 pm.. hotter next week again

Yvonne Smith and Don Alaska like this.
  6. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

The fall storms have begun and this usually marks the end of summer for us. We are under a flood watch until at least Saturday with an expected 3 inches or more of rain by then. When the rain stops, we will probably have a hard freeze and that will be the end of outdoor gardening for the year. It rained all day today as we were at the fair all day. Wife was doing produce judging and she has won another grand champion ribbon and premium for her display despite the poor growing season. Judging again next week and another garden display, this time for the local garden club.

Mary Stetler likes this.
  7. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Overall, we've had a fairly cool summer. We had only a few hot days, and we had rain several times a week.

Don Alaska likes this.
  8. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

This humidity is draining. I can't move without breaking into a sweat. Sleeping is a relief. There has been an air quality alert, heat alert, pollen alert, haze alert, tips and hacks to save energy to prevent power outage. Most of which are suggested at hours you typically are sleeping :eek:. I feel bad for California though. :oops::(

Don Alaska and Mary Stetler like this.
  9. Mary Stetler

Registered

Welllll We made it through one of the hottest days I can remember 98 and humid. Mostly I just stayed in the house. My poor chickens were panting and digging cooling spots out to hunker down in under the cedars. I am going to rip out the garden area this weekend and replant last crop of beans, although we see and feel fall coming. Birds flocked and left already. Can't get hay in because of the rain schedule. Something is eating the potatoes. I would not mind except he goes from one to another eating only about a fourth.:mad:

Don Alaska likes this.
  10. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

From yesterday (Thursday), to today (Friday) we have dropped some 21 degrees, with 90 % chance of rain. Both of us can feel (body/hands) the change in weather!

Just don't want rain for next Friday, the 1st of Sept., when the moving company shows up, or on the following Sunday when we load up our Durango, leave Colorado and head for Nevada.

11. Vada Bloom

Vada Bloom Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

We're supposed to get flooding rains this afternoon and tonight. I like rain but I could do with out floods, lightening and hail, please, if anybody happens to want to fulfill my requests. :(

12. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Supreme Member
    Registered

Hurricane Idalia passed well south of us. Just got a few sprinkles off and on all day yesterday. The super moon peaked out from the clouds at 11 pm just long enough to see that it was indeed brighter than normal, then disappeared.

13. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

We have made it through August without frost, but it is still raining and the wind is predicted to pick up today. Garden is still going but we are starting fires in the big greenhouse on nights that are particularly cool. Down in 40s F. at night and around 60 F. during the day.

Yvonne Smith and Hedi Mitchell like this.
  14. Mary Stetler

Registered

We have gotten down to the forties at nite and now, form Sunday to Wednesday it is supposed to be back into the ninteies. My garden is so confused.

Don Alaska likes this.
  15. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Sunny and 80 so far,,high today 99 by 4 pm
    has been in low 60s at night ..nice

Don Alaska likes this.