How’s The Weather Where You Are?

Discussion in 'Weather & Natural Disasters' started by Ed Wilson, Oct 18, 2021.

1. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Haha... love the new avatar!! Hope you get some rain.

Mary Stetler likes this.
  2. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Supreme Member
    Registered

I sure hope they are over-hyping this hurricane, because it sounds like it's going to be really bad for the Florida panhandle area. I hope everyone in the path along the Florida coast has evacuated, but not everyone has the means.

So far, we've had a nice slow shower, only 1.25 inches over the whole night. The winds will come after midnight tonight. We'll probably lose power because of all the old trees in town, but can't complain about that.

3. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I hope you come through it all well @Nancy Hart , and @Yvonne Smith and @Bobby Cole as well. I will have to check with old friends in south Georgia to see how they fare.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2024 at 2:45 PM
    Yvonne Smith and Bobby Cole like this.
  4. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Thanks Don.
    It will be interesting indeed. Our southern side is lined by the neighbor’s 100’++ pine trees and I am always concerned when any high winds come from that direction.

5. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

Me too. My neighbor and I were just speaking on the trees where we live. If any of them are uprooted and fall our house, well, I'm not going to say it. Forecast warns of high winds tomorrow and into Saturday. The last time high winds were forecast it ended up being a tornado.

Bobby Cole and Don Alaska like this.
  6. Beth Gallagher

Registered

The hurricane is getting close to my family in south GA. I am glued to the Weather Channel since Jim Cantore et al are showing live action in several areas of Florida and Georgia.

7. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

I checked in to a station that presented a live viewing, uh, only saw lights shining and nothing else, you could hear the water batting against something though. My thought position the camera in another direction.

Don Alaska and Bobby Cole like this.
  8. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Supreme Member
    Registered

I think Helene's path moved a little east of the latest prediction. They say there is more wind on the east side of such a storm. Never got as bad as predicted here. Power went off only some time in the middle of the night. Back on this morning. When we had only electric analog clocks you could tell when, and for how long.

Six inches of rain in the last 24 hours. No water in the basement.:) The worst part was no satellite TV for 24 hours. Missed seeing guys standing in the wind and rain. ;)

Last edited: Sep 27, 2024 at 11:37 AM
  9. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Yes, the right side of a hurricane (viewed on a map) is the "dirty" side where most of the wind damage happens. My sister had damage to outbuildings (she lives on a farm), lost the tractor shed, and the fence around her yard blew down. No damage to her home but the power is out in the entire county. My niece is trying to get to her but there are lots of trees down blocking the roads.

10. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Glad to hear that they are at least all safe and the house is okay, @Beth Gallagher . It looks like there is still a lot of damage to be reported from this storm. We have had plenty of rain, but nothing else here, and most of the rain went north of us into Tennessee.

11. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I saw that Asheville, NC had record amounts of rain, and that flash flooding and mudslides were a serious problem. I am glad everyone here seems to have gotten through in good shape.

Von Jones likes this.
  12. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

It is windy now started around noon. There have been some gusts but nothing that would blow me around and down if I was standing outside.

Don Alaska likes this.
  13. Beth Gallagher

Registered

My niece and her husband got to my sister's place and got her generator started. So now she has her fridge, 2 freezers, a lamp, a fan, and her phone charger... all the necessities!! I hope she has sandwich fixin's because she has an electric stove.

14. Krystal Shay

Krystal Shay Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

It's currently 68 degrees and we are getting some of the rain from the hurricane. It had started to rain pretty steady at 2 AM last night and has been raining steadily all day long, thus far. We have winds at 25-35mph with some gusts higher, and both wind and rain is supposed to continue through the night and through tomorrow evening. According to the weather guessers, it is supposed to slow down by Sunday. We are currently under a flood watch and wind advisory.

15. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

Power has been on and off with the wind gusts much stronger now. So if I suddenly disappear when writing that's why.