How’s The Weather Where You Are?

Discussion in 'Weather & Natural Disasters' started by Ed Wilson, Oct 18, 2021.

1. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Gonna hit 10° here overnight (and lots of folks still lack power.) Today barely broke 30°. We did get an inch or two of snow last night. The main concern now is that rain is called for on Sunday, and it's gonna wash away the snow and cause flooding (but probably not around me.)

Mary Stetler and Don Alaska like this.
  2. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Pouring rain and a nasty, overcast day. Around 60 degrees.

3. Ed Wilson

Ed Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

It was 7.5F in the backyard this morning and 24F now on a bright sunny day with snow on the ground. Freezing rain and sleet tonight turning to all rain tomorrow. Hanging around in the house today. If I took a drive I'd only get some frozen slush under the car’s wheel wells where it would melt and drip in the garage.

4. Al Amoling

Al Amoling Veteran Member
    Registered

Sunny and 24 degrees....Tomorrow supposed to be sunny agina but high temp for day only expected to be 5 degrees.

5. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Gorgeous, sunny, 49 degrees.

Mary Stetler and Faye Fox like this.
  6. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Beautiful red and yellow sunrise but now overcast at 30F with frost everywhere. Working on finding some attitudinal sunshine before I go grocery shopping.

7. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

It was -4 when I got out to the barn this morning (and I waited for a bit to go). Chickens were a bit stiff and I had to bring one breakfast in bed (surprisingly not my silkie). My poor cat had to think about whether to get up for breakfast or stay in his nice bed. The sheep were fine.

8. John Brunner

It's gonna dip into the mid teens tonight. Exceptionally cold weather had been driving field mice into my crawlspace and up into the house. I need to replace my crawlspace door & frame...I know it's at least one point of entry. I get these little guests every 3-4 years. Needs more snakes...

There are still a lot of people in this part of the state without power from last Sunday night's storm (8 days ago.) It's the topography and rural [scattered housing] nature of the region causing this, not incompetent utilities. All of the power companies have angry customers. Lots of resources have been brought in from out-of-state. I feel so bad for these families. There is no "normal" without heat, refrigeration, freezers, hot water (or even any well water), stoves, lights, etc. etc. etc.

9. Kate Ellery

Kate Ellery Supreme Member
    Registered

The forecast is for a very hot dry day ( 102F ) or 39c however it’s almost 12 noon and there is a beautiful southerly sea breeze outside..(not a gale like we tend to get at times )

I’ve been out seeing to my poor tomatoes and washing the pot and all the bits I used for making apricot jam about 7 pm last night ( 20 ball mason jars )

10. Joe Smith

Joe Smith Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

11. John Brunner

I'm sorry if you've already said, Kate, but do you sell/gift all that jam, or is it just for the two of you? That's quite a bit.

12. Kate Ellery

Kate Ellery Supreme Member
    Registered

Normally just the neighbours get a jar or two ..my family are not sweet tooth’s so one jar is enough for a year of two for them .
    We don’t eat allot of jam but it’s still nice to have if we want something sweet , I’ve just washed all their bottoms sticky stuff off them I’ll take a photo
    @John Brunner
    Some of the jars are only smallish but still ball mason as well as pint size BM jars

13. John Brunner

There was a post yesterday on Next Door (a regionally-based forum) that "they" are calling for a 20" storm this Sunday. I looked on my resources and saw a 40% chance of 1". Others pooh-poohed the poster. I looked a few minutes ago and WeatherUnderground is calling for 12"!!!!! The Weather Channel agrees. NOAA says "Confidence in the exact details of this system remains low at this time...please stay tuned." Yeh, that's not good. Not good at all.

This is not good. Some people just got their power back after 10 days without, and there are still 500 folks without power throughout the state.

Don Alaska and Ed Wilson like this.
  14. Ed Wilson

Ed Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

That's the same storm that will hit us too. TV weather guy didn't nail it down but it's either a lot or no snow. He likes to say to check back for updates.

John Brunner likes this.
  15. John Brunner

I don't like it. If power stays on I'm OK, but otherwise it's not a good time at all.