How’s The Weather Where You Are?

Discussion in 'Weather & Natural Disasters' started by Ed Wilson, Oct 18, 2021.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

2. Ed Wilson

Ed Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

Now that they are more certain of the track of the storm coming up from the south, we are forecasted to get from 1 to 3 inches possibly and then turning to sleet and rain. Temperature is supposed to get to 38F Monday so what we get will start melting right away. It will be down to -2F tomorrow morning then be in the 20s in the day. No big deal.

John Brunner and Don Alaska like this.
  3. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

They say for us, it will begin as snow, then turn to freezing rain. Duke Energy does a good job of keeping trees away from power lines but there's not much they can do about ice freezing on the lines.

4. Ed Wilson

Ed Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

On ABC news tonight they showed a line of trucks from out of state power companies ready to go if needed.

Don Alaska and Shirley Martin like this.
  5. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

I was talking to people this afternoon who told me that 97.5% of my county lost power during the last storm!!! I had no idea. I don't routinely watch the "news" anymore, so knew it was bad but had not heard it was that bad. My power didn't even flicker. The storm didn't seem all that bad (just 10" or so), although there were a number of trees surrounding my fields that had snapped off about 2/3 of the way up and a bunch that were split. A friend had texted me that day to ask about my power, but not having the context I thought it was just a casual storm conversation, not that we were both 2.5%ers. Now I understand the context for how blessed she was saying we were.

The path for the power lines to our houses down here has been kept trimmed way back, but my neighbor's son could not even reach our right-of-way to help clear it because there so many trees were down across the paved road he had to stop and turn around. I guess they all fell the right way to avoid the main power lines. Feeds to substations were taken out, thus killing to power to tons of customers all at once.

The ice (not the snow) on Sunday & then winds on Monday seem to be our high-risk issues this time around.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2022
    Don Alaska likes this.
  6. Bruce Andrew

Bruce Andrew Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Currently:

Temp 1-15-22.JPG

Note the indoor temp, this is about 10 feet away from the coal heater. But it's only 77 in the living room where I'm watching the Bills DEVASTATE the Pats, 47-10, two minutes to go. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Coal fire.JPG

7. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

All you people from up north have let your snow get out of control again, and it is down here in my yard. Please come and get it back up there where it belongs..

F7BFD5F9-11E8-4DD1-82DB-DC4A1127B978.jpeg

8. Bruce Andrew

Bruce Andrew Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Yvonne, don't worry, it's headed this way. :(

Supposed to get 8-12 tonight, then another 8-12 tomorrow. It's been a real easy winter so far, so we're due.

Don Alaska and Yvonne Smith like this.
  9. Ed Wilson

Ed Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

upload_2022-1-16_11-45-47.jpeg
    This mornings temperature of -0.2F. Indoors hadn't warmed up yet since I turn down the heat at night. Took the pic with my new camera.

Don Alaska and John Brunner like this.
  10. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

We got snow! :cool: It should be melted off before dark. :)

11. John Brunner

That's a chilly evening, Ed. We got down to the upper teens, with temps being propped up by cloud cover rolling in (there was a bright moon at 2AM.)

I keep my heat pump turned off most of the winter and use the wood stove. I didn't restoke the stove in the middle of the night as I usually do, so it was 63° when I woke up. It doesn't usually get that cold in here, and the outside temps aren't often sub-20° all morning long, so it's taking a while to get the place back up to 70°. It's worth it when I see an electric bill of only $80. Of course, summertime is a different story.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2022
    Don Alaska and Ed Wilson like this.
  12. John Brunner

It's coming down pretty hard, but generally, forecasts are trimmed back to 3" or less. There's still gonna be some ice.

What a goat rodeo.

Don Alaska likes this.
  13. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Gorgeous, sunny and mild; around 50 degrees.

Don Alaska and Yvonne Smith like this.
  14. Hugh Manely

Hugh Manely Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

It started snowing at 8:45 this morning, and we've gotten about an inch per hour, and its still coming down.
    I gave up on scraping my walkway, it was a losing battle. After it stops this afternoon, we are supposed to get 2 or 3 inches of sleet during the night before the wind starts blowing at about 20 to 30 mph. How nice!

Don Alaska and John Brunner like this.
  15. John Brunner

Here outside of Charlottesville it's still 18° ground temp and there was a 1/2 hour period of sleet a while ago, then it changed back to all big fat flakes. All precip is supposed to end by 10PM or so...then the winds come. It hit us around 11AM.

I hope we all keep our power!

Don Alaska likes this.