How’s The Weather Where You Are?

Discussion in 'Weather & Natural Disasters' started by Ed Wilson, Oct 18, 2021.

1. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

27 but up to 63 today here in our area of Kansas - Sunny also

2. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

We had a high of 51 yesterday and that, to a point, is a heatwave for us, especially in February. We seen numerous young folks, not Seniors, wearing shorts. Forecast for next Saturday, suppose to be the same.

Funny, but even in 51 degree weather, there were still some folks ice fishing on local private lake.

Don Alaska likes this.
  3. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Winter is back here. -6 and clear. It snowed a bit yesterday, but it cleared and the temp plummeted.

4. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

We got about 4 inches of new snow yesterday, but overnight it dropped to near 0 F. It stayed cool all day but no new snow.

Although only remotely weather-related, I went to my youngest son's house yesterday to pick up my snowmachine/snowmobile that he did some work on for me while we were on our trip. When pulling away form his home and driving along his back road, I couldn't see the edge of the road due to the new snow. Those of you who live in snow country may have experienced this. Anyway, I dropped off the road and became stuck. I have never been stuck in my jacked-up truck and I have had it for some years. Anyway, after a call, my son came to pull me out with his much larger truck in which he has a 100-gallon auxiliary diesel fuel tank in the bed that provides wonderful ballast. Without hesitation, his truck pulled mine out of the ditch and snow and we went on our way.

Sorry, I just had to tell the short story.

5. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I drove from Falmouth, Maine to my home in Millinocket during a blizzard several years ago. Although it was daytime, I couldn't see the onramp to I-95. I saw the sign and I knew the onramp was there, but I couldn't determine where the paved portion of the ramp was. I ended up driving past it a few times until, finally, a larger truck got onto the highway, and I was able to follow its tracks.

Mary Stetler and Don Alaska like this.
  6. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

Although not often in the DC area, I've been able to get to work in heavy snows when very few have because of the tonnage of snow I was carrying around in the bed of my truck. That, and the 4WD so there was weight (the engine) over the drive wheels AND I wasn't trying to push dead weight.

I've not experienced obscuringly deep snow, but in the DC region we were often on the sleet/snow line, and I've done a few 360°/720°maneuvers. I may have tested the quality of anchoring for a guard rail...just once. (They did a good job...it didn't budge.)

Last edited: Feb 7, 2023
    Mary Stetler and Don Alaska like this.
  7. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

I usually load my bed with 300 to 400 pounds of gravel during the winter as it allows me to stay in 2WD for more of the time. I spoke too soon, as it is snowing hard at the moment...and I just got the driveway cleared....:(

8. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

The worst driving conditions I have ever seen was some years ago on the road to Fairbanks. Our twin sons were in college there, and we always made a trip up to celebrate their birthday near the end of October. We decided that since it was often so ungodly cold there in October that we would drive up in September and celebrate their birthday(s) a month early. It started snowing on the way up and the temperature was just below freezing. We ended up driving through 18 inches of slush! We were in 4WD low until it turned back into snow and we made it the rest of the way. Semis were pulled over and we slogged our way through. It was a drive I won't ever forget.

9. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Running the a/c today. It's 79 degrees but the humidity is terrible.

10. Teresa Levitt

Teresa Levitt Veteran Member
    Registered

getting ready for wind up to 50 mph...rain

Don Alaska likes this.
  11. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

Oh no! not again!:eek:

Teresa Levitt likes this.
  12. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

We had a mixture of sleet and snow last night, so there was new snow with a frozen crust on top this morning. It wasn't a huge amount of snow so, except for the stuff the town power dumped in my driveway, I thought I'd be able to get the cars out. I got one of them out easily enough, after shoveling most of the snow that the town gifted me away.

Then, with that one out of the way, I thought I'd be able to drive the other one from the back of the driveway through the snow several times, packing it down rather than shoveling it, as I've done before. But it got stuck. Although I was able to clear all four tires, there was snow packed along the center of the car that wouldn't allow the tires to get a grip. I ended up breaking my shovel, going out and buying another one, then having to use a heavy scraper to break through the frozen snow and ice in the center of the car.

I expected it to be a messy job, as it was, because it involved getting down in the snow so that I could see what I was doing under the car, but I didn't expect that I'd get so tired out from it. Of course, I had already shoveled the sidewalk, removed the snow from all three cars, and shoveled the large load of snow that the town dumped at the foot of my driveway. I was tired, cold, and messy, and I don't want to do it again. Afterward, I went back to bed until 5:00 pm and I don't usually sleep during the day.

The alternative would have been to jack the car up, which would have given me better access, but that would have involved getting down in the snow too, so it seemed like an extra step.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2023
    Don Alaska and Beth Gallagher like this.
  13. Kate Ellery

Kate Ellery Supreme Member
    Registered

Very mild summers day it’s going to be around 28c or 82 f for the next 5 days then up to a stinking hot 38 ..around the old 100f
    Next Thursday and Friday and no rain ( as usual )

Don Alaska and Mary Stetler like this.
  14. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

Sorry, I think I sent you that.
    We had a very heavy wet snow. I hate removing/plowing it because then the coating that is left freezes into ice and the old lady and the cane really looks like an old lady with a cane. The people door to the barn was frozen shut even though I thought I had wiped it dry before closing it and one leg does not lend itself to leverage so I went home and got my middle daughter who is staying with us to lend her shoulder. Cat and everyone inside was complaining about breakfast being late.:mad:

15. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Some of the people here are beginning to grumble again. Today, Saturday, high of 50, but possible heavy snowstorm headed our way by Wednesday next week.

Don Alaska likes this.