How’s The Weather Where You Are?

Discussion in 'Weather & Natural Disasters' started by Ed Wilson, Oct 18, 2021.

1. Vada Bloom

Vada Bloom Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

We've been so dry for the last few years as has much of the west but the pattern has been changing this year. We're certainly getting enough right now.

Yesterday afternoon, all night and this morning, we've had heavy rain, lightning, tornado warnings, snow, hail in some spots (not here, please God) and now it's getting really windy.

I'm not complaining. We needed this rain so much. :)

2. Janine Coral

Janine Coral Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Today a glorious sunny blue skies kind of day, what a welcome thing
    around here and more to come next week ;)

Mary Stetler and Don Alaska like this.
  3. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

In the 60s F. for the first time this year. It didn't get below 45 last night, so maybe spring is here.

4. Janine Coral

Janine Coral Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Great warm weather this week, not one complaint, I love it, just
    don't prefer it any hotter :)

Don Alaska and Mary Stetler like this.
  5. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

It is back in the 80’s here again. Bobby set up the little backyard swimming pool, which we enjoy in the summer. It is not large enough to actually do much swimming, but great for sunbathing, and just splashing and getting cooled off.
    I was in and out today and worked in the garden, and then inside for the hot part of the day. It will take a few days of warm weather before the pool is warm enough to actually use, but then it is good for the summer.

This is Poodle in the swimming pool last summer with his shark fins on.
    IMG_4040.jpeg

6. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

Today was actually glorious. We went out for a belated Mother's day lunch. Didn't get any work done but there's always tomorrow.:rolleyes:

7. Eilidh McFarlane

Registered

Still plenty of snow on the ground, but today I saw the first pussy willows and got my first mosquito bite. I believe Spring has finally sprung!

8. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

In the 40s F. and raining. It isn't supposed to rain until later this afternoon, but what do they know? It is very welcome, as things were getting very dry here despite a few piles of snow here and there. It should keep the wildfire danger down, and that is one of my biggest concerns every year. I was just thinking in bed last night that I needed to work on irrigation set up today...but I can now put than one task off.

9. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

Putting things off is my favorite sport!

10. Eilidh McFarlane

Registered

I don’t call it putting things off anymore. I tell my children I’m retired, I do what I want.
    I do get a feeling of accomplishment if I complete just one chore/project in a day. An old timer Alaskan told me years ago that when you make plans up here you have to look at time differently. Take the unit of time you need to complete something, go up one unit, multiply by two - that’s how long it will probably take. So a one day job may be done in 2 weeks. It was the best tip I ever received :D

11. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

We used to work long hours. Wife and I would be out in the field and one of the daughters would come out and ask if they should start dinner as it was 10:30 PM. We eventually started a policy that outside work should stop at 9:00 PM. As the kids are gone and we are old, work now stops around 5 or 6 depending on weather and how backed-up we are with tasks. This month and September are our busiest times, but we can lay back and relax all winter these days.

12. Eilidh McFarlane

Registered

Same. I tried to keep decent bedtime hours for my children during the long days, but that’s especially difficult when you finally get some sunshine at 8 PM after a day of rain. The sun always won out! I tell friends and relatives in the lower 48, you can learn to seriously appreciate sun when you live long periods of time without it. :)

13. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

We are getting more rain this evening; everything is waterlogged. On Sunday it really poured and we got over 7" in one day. I think the April Showers took a wrong turn somewhere.

14. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

73 F. yesterday, the warmest day so far and it only got down to 40 F. last night. All the snow is now gone as far as I can find. We spent our first day in outside work yesterday, raking with both the hand rakes and the tractor landscape rake. Wife was on the mower for the first time to mulch left over leaves from last fall. One of the high times for her is the first ride on the mower every season. She even fertilized the lawn and rode it all over the property (that she could access with a riding mower) just for pleasure. We will be tilling soon when I am sure it is dry enough. Until then, greenhouse work and getting ready for the plant sale next weekend....

15. Eilidh McFarlane

Registered

Still a fair amount of snow at my place, but it’s going fast. The trees budded overnight as they tend to do here, and I realized summer will be over tomorrow. :D
    I once saw a sign that applies here as well: I love summer in Scotland. This year it was a Wednesday.