How’s The Weather Where You Are?

Discussion in 'Weather & Natural Disasters' started by Ed Wilson, Oct 18, 2021.

1. Thomas Stillhere

Thomas Stillhere Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I usually put some cardboard in this west window in my bedroom around 2pm and just lay down until about 4. It is getting really hot now and even with two decent air conditioners it is just overwhelming in this one room due to window facing west. This time of year the sun does not set until 7:30 or later and that makes it even worse. I am used to it and already know how hot it gets so it does not take me by surprise. I don't mind the late nap because I am really ready to rest and stay cool as possible, and of course watch Judge Judy nip it in the bud !!! Commercial TV here is a vast emptiness, you have a constant barrage of Judge shows. I think they actually believe it scares all these thugs out there to live a better life..... wrong !!! :D

2. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

3. Ed Wilson

Ed Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

We had a long dry spell and now we're in a long wet spell. I wish they would mix it up a little. Grass is getting out of control and there's not much of a window to mow.

Beth Gallagher and John Brunner like this.
  4. Thomas Stillhere

Registered

One week I may have two inch cracks in the earth around me and the next I have 6 inches of water around me. Last month after one of those wet weeks I had a half of an acre of yellow flowers growing. Have no idea where they came from but they were so thick I assume the seed floated in during the heavy rains. Ant beds reappeared and it was back to the normal. Normally the hot months are July and August but it started early this year. I try to shop in the early hours to beat the high sun and even this morning I shopped around 9:15 and it was so hot out. I came home had an early lunch and sat here for a few moments then I started feeling bad and I lay down for an hour and rested, my knees just can't take the walking and I find the best way to cope is to go back to bed and just relax. This morning while shopping I was living large and bought myself a large bottle of Creme Soda. The good stuff that does not use that non caffeine crapola. Loves that Creme Soda :D

John Brunner and Beth Gallagher like this.
  5. Krystal Shay

Krystal Shay Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Our temp is supposed to be 102 degrees with heat index of a 110 for the next two days. I just hope we don't have any power outages or brownouts.

the-weather.jpg

6. Thomas Stillhere

Registered

Power where I live is terrible. There have been times when it was down for half a day, no storms or bad weather it just goes down often. If I see it will be off for a long time I will go fill the tube with nice cool water and just take a nap rather than sit here and die of heat stress. No point in going outside because there is no cooler air out there. I make a point to shop early in summer because of the heat. When I was younger the heat did not bother me like it does today at 75. I closed my window after shopping and took a nap for a couple hours and rested. Got up and then took another nap. Cats laying on their little hutch under the window air over the window not in the window so they can feel a bit of air coming down and I have a floor fan running on high so it moves the air better. The 3rd little guy sleeps under my TV stand that has shelves on each end. So we just take it easy and cope the best we can. The other cats that claim my bathroom come in and get out of the heat or bad weather. I plan on buying another floor fan to put on the floor in front of the bathroom door and let it blow thru the crack I leave in that door and that will give them plenty of cool air. They already like it and the mother cat with the 3 little ones loves to lay down in front of the lower crack in the door because there must be a lot of cool air coming in. When we had the storm two days ago we had very high winds and I would imagine there was lots of air coming into the bathroom.

Don Alaska likes this.
  7. Beth Gallagher

Registered

When I was a kid, I loved a "float" made with vanilla ice cream and creme soda. I haven't thought about that in many years.

8. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

My husband was always concerned with my sanity as I finished off my basements. This one has a Florida room theme. I have caught him sneaking down to watch dvd's lately. It is almost too cold down there:D
    But it was 90 yesterday. I think it is 87 now.
    Our biggest problem lately is the smog from the Canada fires. It looks like New York City air used to look. Or China. I had the windows open last night and woke up wondering how to get the air OUT.

Don Alaska likes this.
  9. Beth Gallagher

Registered

We finally got a break in the heat; it's rainy and 80 degrees today... feels almost cold compared to last week.

Don Alaska likes this.
  10. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

We did too. and darn it, now we have to mow the lawns again.
    But the alfalfa looks great!

Don Alaska and Beth Gallagher like this.
  11. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

We're having a horrific thunderstorm right now. I just came home from the bank less than fifteen minutes ago and it wasn't even raining, although I could see that a storm was coming. I should have known this was coming because I spent a half hour watering the gardens yesterday afternoon.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2023
  12. Vada Bloom

Vada Bloom Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Still raining at the moment. I was so happy when it finally started raining a couple of months ago. Now it's just routine. o_O

13. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Not raining at the moment, but it has been raining almost all summer with temps rarely above 65 F. One of the coolest summers I remember. Crews working to repair undersea cables are unable to work due to too much ice! Ice usually moves off the coast by early June, but this year it is still in as we approach mid-July.

Mary Stetler and Beth Gallagher like this.
  14. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

We had nasty thunderstorms come through Friday afternoon. It's been a long time since I've seen it rain that hard with one of those strong winds that blasts it against the house. You could hardly see 10 feet through it.

Another storm just blew through this afternoon that lasted about an hour or so. There are flood warnings out all over the place...those don't affect me.

Mary Stetler and Don Alaska like this.
  15. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Near 70 F. and sunny. Cloudy and cool was predicted, but thankfully they were wrong again. All our crops need a little sun to catch up.

Mary Stetler likes this.