How’s The Weather Where You Are?

Discussion in 'Weather & Natural Disasters' started by Ed Wilson, Oct 18, 2021.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

We're having a normal summer, which means rain at least four days out of seven.

Don Alaska likes this.
  2. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Be very careful driving through water flowing over a road or bridge. Dangers can lurk beneath or the current can push you to places you don't wish to be in some cases.

John Brunner likes this.
  3. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

Yup. And as this guy found out, some of the bridge might be missing.

Don Alaska likes this.
  4. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

:(

John Brunner likes this.
  5. John Brunner

We had those nasty storms bow though last night with no ill effects. This afternoon there were brief summertime showers (with no wind), and the daggone power went out for 2 hours!

I will say that I am pleasantly surprised at the reliability of the electric service here,considering how remote I am. Outages are rare. Outages lasting longer than a brief *blip* are even rarer.

6. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

Hail is not good for tomatoes. I am glad I put the critters in early

7. John Brunner

Yeh, all I can think is that the guy was close to home, the waters were receding, he was in a truck, and he just wanted to get inside. We all know how rationalization is.

The sad thing is that he could have backtracked south to the main road, cut over, taken a parallel road back north that intersects with his very short road, and it would have cost him well under 10 minutes, even if his home had been just on the other side of that bridge.

Don Alaska likes this.
  8. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

9. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

Someone here posted on Facebook in one of the groups that they were glad it has only rained twice so far this summer; once for 44 days and once for 37 days.:)

10. Thomas Stillhere

Thomas Stillhere Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I'm not complaining because the past several weeks our rain in my area has completely gone around us. It is so hot during the day and night the ground cracks and opens up very large cracks. Farmers need rain all season not just a few days, especially sugar cane. So it actually rained yesterday late and came by surprise because I had seen no reports on news about anything coming my way. I was napping around 5 and noticed it was getting very dark inside which it does not do even when I have the window completely blocked off to keep out the sun. I got up and about an hour after getting up it started storming for a full 3 hours and dropped some good showers to boot. Same thing is possible today later but that will be toward the late afternoon. Going to go shop at 9 and it is only 2 blocks from me so no big deal. All the young cats outside got a good taste of mother nature but they are high and dry and in the shade all day so that was a good training day for them. One group is eating under the bedroom window and I just toss out the food and they are waiting, the other 3 young ones eat under the entrance at the vanity. They gather soon as I make a noise going into the bathroom to feed their mothers which they are the only two grownups still showing up to eat. I have 3 that have disappeared and no longer coming to eat in the morning. I hope I see them again some day soon. I know they are just being cats and have gone out into the world on their own. Even 2 meals a day can't compete with Mother Nature. I suspect by winter time if they are still out there they will know where to come and stay warm and eat. I gained 7 little mouths to feed and lost 3 so that appears to be the way things will work out.

The 4 are all black and one has white booties and the other a little white on his nose and neck. I will miss Mr Debonair with his pretty full white mustache. One of the 3 young ones looks like his Uncle and he was one of the two white and black cats that were born with no hair on their ears, their mother is the other white and black that is the runt of that litter. She has been a very good mother to the little ones and now she spends most of her time outside with them instead of here in the hot bathroom. Her and her Mother both are here for breakfast. Her Mother once would come in and was trying to eat all the food I put down for my 3 indoors, so I would have to grab her and put her outside after she had ate her food. She had a hard time living out doors and was left here by the people in front of me along with another yellow tabby. The Tabby finally figured out they were not coming home again and he left one day and never came back. A friend told me that the girls that left here and are living with their grandparents have the yellow tabby so he found his way to where they live and I am sure he is happy now.

Mary Stetler and John Brunner like this.
  11. Thomas Stillhere

Registered

Update I went shopping and came home and Mr Debonair and Shaver both were standing outside my bedroom window. I put down some really good dry food and they were starving since they have missed days of feeding. No sign of the white and black but I hope I see it again. It was nice the two others were talking to me and glad to see they still have a home and free meals.

Mary Stetler and John Brunner like this.
  12. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

13. Thomas Stillhere

Registered

I drink POP and very little water, just about every edible liquid has water so I do get a little water. Mother Nature ignored one of the most important things which was a way for the body to know it needed more water. Thirst is a point that is actually too late. Some people can tolerate large amounts of water drinking but I don't think I could do that. Strange the 3 cats inside drink a tremendous amount of water, even when they were just little tots they loved that water I would feed them with the little syringes I got for them.

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  14. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

Weather has been great recently--highs in the upper 70s F. and lows in the mid-50s F. Those are normal summer temps for us, but usually occur in early June, not late July. If nothing else the seasons seem to be shifting here and in some other places. It hasn't rained for a week now, so we may be getting into fire danger. It isn't usually as bad later in the year when everything is leafed out, but if it occurs in August or September, people don't have time to fine suitable shelter before winter if they are burned out.

15. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Supreme Member
    Registered

Another thunderstorm with very strong winds tonight around 7pm. Power off again. Not sure how long, because I fell asleep and didn't wake up until 11 pm.

Don Alaska likes this.