How About Etiquette? How About Manners? Do's And Don'ts

Discussion in 'Education & Learning' started by Janine Coral, Mar 29, 2023.

1. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

No, there have always been curmudgeons. It is just there are more of us in the baby boom generation.o_O

2. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Regardless of you coming on your own, or being invited... stay off your phone. That includes my kids, their kids, neighbors and etc. Just find that it is very distracting and rude when someone is trying to talk with you, but your phone is more important. ;)

3. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I find that annoying too. Every text message, even alerts for news articles, seems to be more important than whatever actual conversation they are supposed to be engaged in. I've walked away from people who've done this, but this gets harder when you're married to the person who does it. Really? The Washington Post publishes a new propaganda piece on its website and you really have to check to see if it isn't maybe more interesting than what I'm literally in the middle of saying.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2023
  4. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

The weather alerts, which I don't look at, make the same sound as text messages on my phone. I look at text messages whenever. If you need to talk to me, call me. Otherwise, I will look at texts when I get around to it. They don't evaporate.

Janine Coral likes this.
  5. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

You can turn off those alerts you know that would help you

Janine Coral and Mary Stetler like this.
  6. Janine Coral

Janine Coral Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Social etiquette when eating out in public and a customer prefers
    to lick their knife, either as they are eating their meal, or after
    they are eating their foods etc. I observe this now and then and
    just smile to myself, I think if the food was good or appealing enough
    to them, what is wrong really with a lick of their knifes?

7. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Cause it’s kinda hard to put a bandage on one’s tongue.

Janine Coral and Beth Gallagher like this.
  8. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Main things I notice are never getting any thank you for giving gifts or putting on a dinner or party. No one hangs around to clean up or even offers. I solved this by never hosting dinners or any parties anymore. I also quit giving gifts.

The phone thing is a big irritation if they drop by to visit. If someone drops by unexpected because their doctor appointment was rescheduled for an hour later, then please get on their phone so I can concentrate on my SOC post. ;)

Holding doors is about 50/50 around here. Littering seems to be the worst especially with teens. Old things like no elbows on the table isn't an issue since most don't eat at a table anymore. Teens walking side by side on the sideway that force old folks in the street including wheelchair folks.

9. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

First, one person's idea of rudeness is another person's feelings of "no it wasn't".

My SIL has called me "rude" a number of times, but wife and I think that that is because she is so "straight-laced" and doesn't like to say anything bad about anyone. I'm more vocal about talking about someone's behavior, where my wife thinks the same way I do, but just doesn't voice to anyone but me.

We just sent my wife's younger sister $30 for her birthday, but I know that her oldest sister will keep the money. Younger sister is in a Nursing Home, so oldest sister gets all of her mail and any money, Government or gifts, that comes to her that is for younger sister. Oldest sister told us, "she still owes me money for all of the money I spent for her hospital visits, etc.. Besides that, she doesn't need any money."

So, I told my wife, from now on, no more money to younger sister. Send her something for her birthday/Christmas, but not money!

So many things have changed from previous years, especially the way people act. Because we see very few people in our city smile, when I see someone smile, I commend them for that.

10. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

How about when you start a cell phone conversation with someone and their tv is on and loud? And, until you ask them to turn down their tv, they keep on talking to you.

Now my question is...............what has made so many people in America so unfriendly? We simply can hardly wait to move out of the apartment complex we've been living in for 3 1/2 years. It has become so, so unfriendly!! IOW, we have lived in much, much friendlier apartment complexes.

Janine Coral likes this.
  11. Krystal Shay

Krystal Shay Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Everything you said!
    500_F_132784355_f54qfKh5DOXFGpNY3Qyee7lWgm3TQYdv.jpg

Janine Coral and Faye Fox like this.
  12. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

If they can hear you and it’s their tv that is on, how would they know it’s too loud for you to hear them unless you tell them?

Edit: To me, it’s poor form for anyone to call me and expect to have a conversation with me to begin with. I HATE phones and just because I have to have one doesn’t mean I want to talk to someone,

Last edited: May 8, 2023
    Janine Coral and Mary Stetler like this.
  13. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

Down the sidewalk? We have young people walking side by side down the middle of the Street !
    A couple of years ago a couple were doing that and I tapped on the horn and got cursed out. So….I got out of the truck and in my best military style voice I yelled that their mama’s were going to cry at their funerals (combined with some accidental verbiage), then jumped back into the truck, put her in gear and revved the engine. They ran to the sidewalk and being the gentleman I am, when I passed by them I said Thank You.

14. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

That’s the way my BIL is (wife’s brother). If we never called him, we’d never/ever know how he is! After my wife’s mom died, he basically separated himself from the family.
    He also never calls and says “thanks” for any Christmas presents we send him, but we know how he is, so we send him something.

Janine Coral and Bobby Cole like this.
  15. Jane Carlson

Jane Carlson Well-Known Member
    Registered

Oddly, I can't remember a time when I didn't get thanked for holding open a door for someone. Even if it was just a nod or hand wave. Just recently I held the door for a man carrying some large item. He thanked me and then his wife behind him said thanks. Their 3 teenagers behind them hesitated and looked at me and I just smiled and waved them through, too. They also said thank you as they scurried through. As long as I was playing doorman, I figured what the heck!

So, now that I've said all this, next time I'll probably get one of those entitled impolite people that everyone else seems to run into! :D

Concerning thank you notes for gifts, I totally agree. I constantly have to remind my granddaughters to send thank you notes to my sister (a stickler for the proprieties) when they receive something from her or her feelings get hurt. I've started getting thank you notes now too, so I think the message is finally getting received.

Cell phone etiquette? Don't get me started.