How About Etiquette? How About Manners? Do's And Don'ts

Discussion in 'Education & Learning' started by Janine Coral, Mar 29, 2023.

1. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Cell phones cause brain damage and as proof one only need to look at nearly any Tik-Tok repeat on YouTube and there they are, highly brain damaged individuals making complete asses out of themselves.

And….speaking of butts, people holding up a stall in the restroom or sitting on a machine at the gym so they can converse on their cellphones is extremely rude.

Also, healthy folks who would rather whip out their cell phone and take a flippin’ video whilst a molestation, rape, assault or some such is going on instead of helping the victim should be locked in the stocks and pummeled by rotted vegetables.

2. Jane Carlson

Jane Carlson Well-Known Member
    Registered

Also a pet peeve of mine!

Janine Coral and Bobby Cole like this.
  3. Lois Winters

Lois Winters Veteran Member
    Registered

I see people with appalling table manners each day. Some cut up their food all at once and mix it together, and that totally grosses me out. Licking the knife really sends me up a wall. Do not take your fork and help yourself to food from my plate................ever!

I think taking pictures of people with your phone without asking their permission should be a criminal offense.

4. Jane Carlson

Registered

My husband does that with certain foods and when I point out that it's gross, he says, "What's the difference? It all goes to the same place anyway." I'm sorry, it DOES make a difference! I don't even let my food touch. Maybe I'm weird too!

Janine Coral likes this.
  5. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

I agree on the photo taking without permission. I fear our Lon Tanner was a criminal in our opinion hahaha! I have to cut up my food, but never mix it all together intentionally. Yes, forking off my plate might end up ugly for the forker. :mad:

6. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I cut all my food up before I begin to eat because I wolf it down so fast. I've had people point out how rude that is, although I disagree. I do try to not behave that way at social events to avoid uncomfortable looks.

Maybe I have mixed mashed potatoes & gravy with peas or corn every once in a while to speed the process up, but it's been a while since I've done that. That being said, I don't see much of a transgression. After all, you don't serve the components of veggie soup or stews or pot pie separately.

Regarding being a low-brow knife licker...

I eat my peas with honey
    I've done it all my life
    It makes my peas taste funny
    But it keeps them on my knife

7. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

Food etiquette: ref: Buffet Restaurants

Exercising one’s ability to Pile it Higher and Deeper (PHD) on a plate as though one will never have access to food ever again and then leaving half of it to be thrown away whilst going back to get another plate full is ….uh…..no words.

8. John Brunner

My British relatives always comment on the large size of our dinner plates here.

Regarding waste in restaurants: it's often occurred to me that illegals who are escaping impoverished conditions often work in food service. The waste they see must make them literally cry (or rage), knowing the lack of food for friends & family back home. I wonder if they ever get numb to it.

Personally, I never take more at a buffet than I'm going to eat. If I did that as a kid, my father would have made me eat it all, knowing that the subsequent barf-a-thon would be a lesson I learned for life.

9. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I wonder why cutting up one's food all at once is considered "rude." What the hell difference does that make, and just how is it rude? I hate seeing people talk with food in their mouth or other boorish behavior (licking utensils, etc.), but how they cut up their food does not concern me. I cut single bites but that's just how I've always done it.

10. John Brunner

The comment that was made to me is that it is what's done for a child...the parent cuts up the plate and puts it in front of the kid. I've always acknowledged that my degree of sophistication [pretenses] could have been improved, but I've never cared for the false front...in me or in anyone else. Besides, it's not as though I were picking dropped food off of the floor and popping it in my mouth (One Mississippi, Two Mississippi *gulp*)

11. Jane Carlson

Registered

Known as the "two second rule"? ;) My aunt taught me that one. She also said that "it fell on a napkin". :p

12. John Brunner

Gotta exercise that immune system and derive the benefit of its current strength.

I used to tell friends I had the "Three Tenant Rule" when it came to finding food on the floor. I shan't go into details...and I was just kidding.

13. Janine Coral

Janine Coral Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

LOL mostly if you lick a serrated knife but not a butter knife, or maybe, the lickers
    I have observed mostly now and then are licking their butter knifes, although I could
    not tell for sure...

Bobby Cole likes this.
  14. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

Just wondering…..is it proper to use a butter knife with “I can’t believe it’s not butter” or oleo?

Janine Coral likes this.
  15. Janine Coral

Janine Coral Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Bobby that is funny! LOL

Bobby Cole likes this.