How About Etiquette? How About Manners? Do's And Don'ts

Discussion in 'Education & Learning' started by Janine Coral, Mar 29, 2023.

1. Lois Winters

Lois Winters Veteran Member
    Registered

Only if the butter is served with its own knife, Bobby. ;)

And, yes, such items do exist.

2. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

On the other side, I have a friend who basically puts me on hold for everything when we are on the phone. It is not just me. She has always done it. But she multi tasked even on a lined phone. I often just hang up so she has to call back. I would prefer she tell me she will call back. But....
    And she is always late to meet ups with everyone. Always has been.
    But she is a good person and we have been friends for 50 years.

3. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Yeah, I usually hang up on anyone who puts me on hold or who sets the phone down for something. I figure they can call me back when they have time.

Marie Mallery likes this.
  4. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

We just this past year had one drop in and we politely ask him to call first next time and he got mad and doesn't speak to us now. Thats ok, he just wanted free guitar lessons from Jake.
    Jake had to crawl from under his truck he was working on and I was mopping floors and cleaning. Still people should call first even if not busy, may not feel well.

5. Marie Mallery

Registered

Especially during a pandemic, thats when the grown grands want to visit, so I told them to set up a tent in the yard, no more request.
    Seems it wouldn't be such a big deal since we took all 13 of them camping at one time or another. They loved it when kids.

Mary Stetler likes this.
  6. Marie Mallery

Registered

My daughter does that, then says " she forgot" I told her thats my line.

Ken Anderson likes this.
  7. Marie Mallery

Registered

I have a couple friends over 50 years but one just quit calling, think its her husband. Other one calls several times a month, she is very good person. We been friends since 12. If I don't hear from her for a week I always call.

Mary Stetler likes this.
  8. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

At one time simple gestures toward others was called 'a common courtesy '. Seems to still exist in some areas especially among us older ones. In this time in our world when so much chaos exists , it is refreshing and hopeful when others show any type of manners and gratitude.
    Believe it or not ,I think it is important to still show manners toward our spouses. Letting them finish talking, moving your phone conversation to another room if they are trying to do something,even watch tv. The thank you's to your spouse, for even the simplest things. Respecting their privacy ,and not condemning or reprimanding them in front of others,more like respect than manners but I think still important.

9. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Supreme Member
    Registered

One of the men I worked with was always late to every work-related meeting or social gathering. He had to make an "entrance."

He was not what I'd consider a bad person in any way. Very intelligent, hard-working, and did more than his share. Just completely self-centered. Hard to carry on normal conversation with him. Everyone learned quickly to just listen politely and nod. You might even learn something.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2023
  10. Marie Mallery

Registered

When America allowed its culture be taken away, the destruction most values and manners that was good was taken with it.

11. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

OK so i've been freaking out at the approach of winter. Why? Because of all the stuff I haven't done yet. The last few years, it has been unseasonably warm until February!!!:D
    But the weather guy has predicted a mix of rain and snow for next week.????Snow does not happen here until the Wednesday before Thanksgiving!!!

Why am I putting this under manners?
    I ran over to Fleet Farm to get a 50 lb bag of corn so my chickies can keep sharing with the squirrels and chipmunks:mad: and some canned cat food, as long as I was there. I picked up a bag of the corn and perched it on the edge of my shopping cart so I could just roll it off the edge into my hatchback. I only had a problem because the stupid cart rolls forward, even some up against the shelves.
    I can lift anything. I just cant walk. But I got it on where I wanted it and a lady walked by. She looked and my perched bag and asked if I needed help.o_O
    I thanked her but I was very proud of my doing it myself.
    Then as I was opening my trunk, another lady walked by and asked if I needed help. And I thanked her and explained that I was fine but I appreciated her offer.
    Here, I needed to rearrange my trunk's contents as I had bagged cat food, bird seed and some groceries in there already and I was kind of embarrassed about the state of my car. But everything went as planned.
    People (mostly women) still offer help; as far as manners go. I am old and have a cane and sometimes I take the help.
    But I must look REALLY old, lately And I am starting to wonder if the weight on the bags is accurate.o_O

12. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Supreme Member
    Registered

I had the very same problem with a 50lb bag of grass seed last month. Forgot about putting it up on the hand basket part of the cart. It was stuck down in the main part. The only one who volunteered to help at Lowes was a woman behind the help desk counter. I won't forget next time (maybe).

13. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

The President needs to take lessons in etiquette.
    NEVER, touch another person’s child, grandchild etc without first asking for permission.

Hedi Mitchell likes this.