How Does History Deal With Slavery?

Discussion in 'History & Geography' started by Lon Tanner, May 6, 2019.

1. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Do explain to me @Lon Tanner as to how is it in issue now in the U.S.?

No one can go back in time and change anything. We already know about slavery here and unless you wish to switch your premise to those who have been trafficked for sex here and around the world the thread is redundant and has been discussed ad nauseum in the last thread you created about it.

If you remember right, you accused me, another popular member and how did you phrase it, uh….so many people on SO as being racists.

2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I grew up in Michigan, which was hardly a bastion of slavery, and, for that matter, slavery was over in the US before my family came here from Sweden.

Jim Brown and Bobby Cole like this.
  3. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

The Spanish were equally guilty. The cruelty dished out by white southern plantation owners and overseers is well known as well.

4. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

Again, why is it still an issue for you?
    Do you have some familial skeletons in your closet you’d like to atone for?

Another question arises. Are you one of the 1619 theory advocates?

Jim Brown and Beth Gallagher like this.
  5. Jim Brown

Jim Brown Well-Known Member
    Registered

Were you there to see it Lon? No you weren't. All you know is what you have read or been told. There was only about 2% of whites that ever owned slaves. After the civil war, the south released the slaves they had, but the north kept their slaves for roughly two years after the civil war. Many of the slave owners and traders in America were Blacks. You are constantly on the racist trip, so tell us what you have ever done to help the blacks.

6. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

I asked him that same question a couple of times but he’s never answered.

To turn Lon’s favorite phrase around, we now know what Lon is.

7. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

When I was a kid we aw some pretty grusome news about how bad the African slaves were treated by their own masters. Some were tied to one arm one leg to trees,then tree was cut and the slave was slit into. Not inlike what they still do today like tire necklaces so its not just southern whites its in all of us to do bad or good.
    Lets hope we all change for the better.

Lon Tanner likes this.
  8. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

That’s a point but the problem is that millions of us do not have to change. Speaking for myself, I’ve never looked down on a human being because of the color of his or her skin, their sex or where they come from.

The only time I have hated a portion of a race is because they were trying to kill me and I took it pretty personally but that was during war time.

9. Mary Robi

Mary Robi Veteran Member
    Registered

I have ancestors who owned slaves and I have ancestors who were slaves. I also have ancestors who were Cherokee Indians, which was just about as bad as being slaves.

10. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

Me either nor anyone in my family has that I know of.I'm speaking about all of us live and let live. I have no guilt about anything. Nor feel like Americans today should have either. Anymore than black slave masters should have for their part in selling their people all over the world,I'm just sick of being accused for no reason.I'm so sick of the woed racist.

11. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

Why are you so defensive? All you know about slavery is what you read as well. What's with this 2% crap? Weren't southern plantation owners white? You talk like some of my relatives in Mississippi.
    What have I done to help blacks you ask. I didn't know I was supposed to do anything.

12. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

You just like to stir the pot and make cracks about southern Americans. Pretty nervy for someone living in California. :rolleyes:

None of us can do a damn thing about history, but you can sign over your investments to Black Lives Matter if you feel it would assuage your conscience.

13. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

They sure were horrible, but I have always read that the Portuguese were the worst. Northerners weren't particularly kind to black people either, nor were they nice to the Chinese, the Irish, or several other groups. What is your problem with the Southern United States, anyhow? You may not have noticed but both slavery and the Civil War have been over for a long time now.

Yvonne Smith and Jim Brown like this.
  14. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

Well it’s like this Lon. If there are 100 white people living in an area and 2 of them are plantation owners with slaves then what percent would that be?

To be fair though, roughly 5-6% of the U.S. southern population had slaves and the total population of the U.S. who had slaves was around 3%.

For a business man Lon, sometimes ……..?

Last edited: Jul 16, 2021
    Yvonne Smith and Jim Brown like this.
  15. Jim Brown

Jim Brown Well-Known Member
    Registered

That is 2% of Whites in America. You do know that it wasn't just people in the south that owned slaves, don't you? You do know that some of the largest slave traders and owners were Black, don't you? Did you also know that after the civil war, when the south was directed to release their slaves, the north continued to use slaves for roughly two more years. You didn't know you were supposed to help blacks? You are on here constantly stirring the pot about slavery, but you have done nothing to help them? So you are just on here stirring the pot, to make yourself feel good by belittling others. NEWS flash Lon, there isn't a person on here that has ever owned a slave, so get off your high horse.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2021