How Many Have Been To Alaska?

Discussion in 'History & Geography' started by Don Alaska, Oct 16, 2022.

1. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

Some are nice but I don't think they understand our culture that much. Also, Asians can be very arrogant like the rest of us, only more so.

Jake Smith likes this.
  2. Joy Martin

Joy Martin Veteran Member
    Registered

Never had the desire, I go to warm places. On a business trip to Calgary yrs ago I found I had to plug in my rental car, forget that, I cabbed it to my appointments. Yes I know Calgary is Canada but getting closer to Alaska.

Last night on one of my radio programs the host talked about the coldet and hottest places in the U.S. and Calgary and Edmonton with at a -6

I did enjoy the NGO and LifeTime Alaska programs.....on TV when I still had i t.

Jake Smith and Don Alaska like this.
  3. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

It gets quite nice here in summer, even in the far north. It is cold and dark here now, so now is not the time for most to visit unless you like winter sports. It has risen above 0 F. again now that snow is approaching. Be aware that Canada reports temperatures in Celsius, so -6 C. is not that cold by our standards(or Calgary and Edmonton).

Faye Fox, Krystal Shay and Jake Smith like this.
  4. Jake Smith

Jake Smith Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

You don't need a freezer there at all.
    Which is not a bad thing, also when you catch fish you wouldn't have to ice them, as we have to. Got it benefits there.:)

Marie Mallery likes this.
  5. Joy Martin

Joy Martin Veteran Member
    Registered

Hey Don, :rolleyes:

Don, I gather you live in Alaska, which city, were you born there and if not what took you there? Ok if you don't want to answer.

I've heard it said to gals, "go to Alaska, there are lots of men".... there are many here in CA but not rushing to get legally hooked.....

Last edited: Dec 3, 2022
    Marie Mallery likes this.
  6. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

You DO need a freezer here, @Jake Smith. Like I said, it gets quite nice here in summer. I recall a few years when temps even got into the low 90s F. for brief periods. Freezers aren't generally needed in winter although we do thaw sometimes. Where I live, it is below freezing most of the time between late October/early November and April. The best time to visit is late May to June. Most tourists come up here thinking August is the warmest month, but that is generally incorrect, as many year our rainy season has started by then.

Of course, when we go ice fishing, you don't need to ice your catch, and even in summer, the water is generally cold enough to keep things cool, but the air temperature can be warm.

7. Jake Smith

Jake Smith Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I wondered about that in the summer but didn't know, having never been there before. Only seen some of it in movies and tv shows which lets you know a little about the place. Here we always have to ice our fish, even in winter. It's a lot different there, I'm sure. Still learning.

Marie Mallery and Don Alaska like this.