How Often Do You Eat Fish - What Kind Do You Prefer?

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Lon Tanner, Jul 2, 2021.

1. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Marci Miller

Are you hungry all the time?

Frank

2. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

I really like to catch fish and eat them but as I've gotten older I don't do much of either anymore.

I love redfish, a good seafood stuffed Flounder, fried catfish, and so many other fish. Salmon is probably one of my least favorite fish but I will eat that too.

It seems years ago everyone was always going fishing and sharing some of their catch with us. Things have changed now and people aren't fishing as much now that they are older...and the younger people seem to like to catch and release when they fish.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2021
  3. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

The government regulations have become so strict here that there are almost no fish that you can keep. My nephew-in-law didn't even bother going last weekend because of that.

Don Alaska likes this.
  4. Marci Miller

Marci Miller Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Why would I be?

5. Marci Miller

Marci Miller Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Did yours use Saltine crackers in hers too?

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  6. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I have no idea.

7. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

The one time I had swordfish it was in a fancy New York restaurant famous for such things. I thought it was absolutely awful and would never even try it again. It kinda reminded me of shark, which I also don't like.

8. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

:)
    huh? Then…..what is it? It’s not a reptile, amphibian nor mammal so…..? You’re kidding…right? :)
    https://www.britannica.com/animal/swordfish-fish

9. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Bobby Cole

FISH are defined as being VERTEBRATES, having back bone (and bones). Swordfish are INVERTEBRATES, like sharks, no bones, therefore NOT FISH.

Or, maybe I'm wrong.

Frank

EDIT: "In biology, the term fish is most strictly used to describe any animal with a backbone that has gills throughout life and has limbs, if any, in the shape of fins."

"All fish share two traits: they live in water and they have a backbone—they are vertebrates."

"swordfish does not have bones and it doesn't even “look like fish”.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2021
  10. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

Swordfish are vertebrates, @Frank Sanoica as they do have a spinal column. They are referred to as cartilaginous fish as they do not have bones but have cartilage instead.

LINK

11. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

@Frank Sanoica @Don Alaska
    I think if you read the entirety of Don's linked article, the swordfish is listed under Bone Fish.

****************************************************************​
    The Bone Fish

Bony fish are the largest group (corresponding to 9 out of 10 species) and diverse fishes present. These animals inhabit all types of water, sweet, brackish, salty, hot or cold (although most are limited to temperatures between 9 and 11ºC). This is the most recent class from a phylogenetic point of view as well as considered more evolved. The taxonomy within this class has often been altered, due to the discovery of new species, as well as of new relations between the already known ones.

Typically the bony fish are not larger than 1 m in length but there are reduced forms (certain gobies are only 10 mm long) and gigantic (swordfish with 3.70 m, sturgeon with 3.80 m and 590 kg of weight or fish -Water with 900 kg weight).

****************************************************************​

Here is a swordfish skeleton:

[​IMG]

According to Don's article, an interesting external difference (and there are several) between the two groups is that the bony fish have membranes covering the gill slits, while the cartilaginous fish (sharks and sting rays) have their gills exposed, without any protection.

FIsh.jpg
    Another easily seen difference is the location of the mouth. Cartilaginous fish have a ventral mouth (turned downward, more to the anterior.) This is more exaggerated in sting rays and other bottom feeders than it is in sharks (and note the exposed gills.)

[​IMG]

12. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

This thread reminded me. There is one smaller grocery store chain here that used to always have fresh catfish fillets. Called catfish nuggets. I suspect locally raised. They are small, max size like the palm of your hand.
    upload_2021-7-8_11-21-39.png
    Haven't been there for a while. Haven't noticed them at the larger chains in town, but haven't been looking. Next time I see some I'll get some.
    They are so good battered and fried. [​IMG]

13. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

The cartilaginous fish also generally have to move to breathe or be in moving water such as a current. The operculum of the bony fish allow them to hover and "pump" water over their gills.

Frank Sanoica and John Brunner like this.
  14. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

"Operculum" is an interesting word. It's a part of the brain, the gill cover of a bony fish, and a flap of gum tissue over partially erupted tooth (most often the wisdom tooth.) I knew that cartilaginous fish had to stay in motion to "breathe," but never understood why they did (or why bony fish did not.)

Don Alaska likes this.
  15. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Don Alaska

Long ago, studying Biology ( 1956), we were taught that the marine creatures having cartilaginous structure are not called "fish". This distinction must have been subject to debate for a long time, and today's definitions differ. Therefore, I was wrong now, but right then. Best I give up.