How Often Do You Eat Fish - What Kind Do You Prefer?

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Lon Tanner, Jul 2, 2021.

1. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Since others have breached protocol: I was listening to talk radio this morning and a guy called in praising Biden. The announcer asked what Biden had done that pleased the caller. "He stabilized the economy." :rolleyes:

Regarding tipalia: like many fish, you gotta watch out for the country of origin. Also, the consistent big knock on tilapia is it's low ratio of Omega 3 fatty acids to Omega 6 Fatty acids. Apparently if these are not kept in balance, the Omega 6 might be an inflammatory. It's tough to separate the wheat from the chaff on this stuff. Some places say to eat tilapia in moderation solely because of this (there are no other negatives other than questionable sources.) Others point out that you get Omega 3s elsewhere in your diet...it's not as though all you eat is tipalia. Sites like WebMD make no mention of this "concern" at all, only stating that both O3 and O6 are "essential" fatty acids, since we do not make them on our own.

It stinks that getting factual data is tough to do these days...everyone's got an agenda, it seems.

Don Alaska and Hedi Mitchell like this.
  2. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Regarding tilapia: just watch out for the country of origin and it's perfectly fine.

Regarding eating fish at their normal body temp: I'm not gonna say a darned thing...bless your heart. ;)

Don Alaska and Nancy Hart like this.
  3. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

My husband was a dedicated fisherman the first 15- 16 years we were married. I never bought fish. I miss that in some ways. Like everything else, go too expensive, then found out by accident he was having balance issues so he stopped. :(

Don Alaska likes this.
  4. Hedi Mitchell

Registered

I basically ignore all that crap. For almost 74 years all the things that are claimed to be unhealthy- or whatever bad for you- still keep me going. Science, is like weather , depends on where you live and how things work for you.

John Brunner and Beth Gallagher like this.
  5. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I have to agree with you on the nutritional science stuff. Somehow I have lived this long without knowing which fatty acids I'm consuming and in what quantities.

Don Alaska and Hedi Mitchell like this.
  6. Steven Stanick

Steven Stanick Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Not a fan of catfish but I enjoy all seafood but trout and salmon are my favorites.

Don Alaska likes this.
  7. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I don't know about Tilapia or other fish, but I do know that shrimp farmed in Thailand are treated with chloramphenicol prior to shipping to this country in order to pass the requirements for imports here to kill off all the bacteria, as they are farmed in filthy water. In case you don't know, chloramphenicol is an antibiotic of last resort in diseases that cannot be treated with any other antibiotic, as it can cause aplastic anemia.

John Brunner likes this.
  8. Joy Martin

Joy Martin Veteran Member
    Registered

Oh good reminder, time to take the bag of frozen Wild Alaskan cod fillets from the freezer, I try to pick up salmon and cod frozen fillets at Trader Joe's......

Last edited: May 3, 2022
    Don Alaska and John Brunner like this.
  9. Hedi Mitchell

Registered

We had cod for supper last night. I have not eaten that is 40 plus years. It was good.

10. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

We have fish a couple times a week. Mostly canned though.We live in Florida around all kinds of water but seldom get to go fishing, too busy.

Don Alaska likes this.
  11. Krystal Shay

Krystal Shay Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

The hub and I rarely eat fish. Maybe a tuna sandwich once a year. Just don't care for it all that well. We tried it cooked/fried/baked/broiled/steamed, but no. Still don't like it.

Don Alaska and Beth Gallagher like this.
  12. Jessica Morgan

Jessica Morgan Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I love cod, the only thing that puts me off eating more is the bones, no matter how careful I am at preparing it I always find small bones in it.