How To Build An End Table, Coffee Table Or Bedside Table - Easy And Fun

Discussion in 'How Do I?' started by Dwight Ward, Mar 27, 2023.

1. Dwight Ward

Dwight Ward Veteran Member
    Registered

This is an end table. To the top left is a coffee table put together with the same basic method with some variation in trim. Center top is another end table. You'll notice a little rough work on the top. This is due to the salvaged materials I used and my impatience. Now that I notice that I'll probably redo the top. It could be better.
    EndTable.gif

I won't try to describe the whole process in one post. If I did that I might forget steps. We'll start with the tools and supplies you'll need. Wood building materials will be in the next post. This is not rocket science and no cabinetry expertise is needed (I have none) - just basic carpentry skills or learn by doing.

- tape measure, pencil, hammer, razor knife, small nail set
    - table saw, preferably with a medium to fine tooth blade
    - miter saw, power or manual with nice sharp blade
    - corner clamps, one will do with patience, four for faster build
    - small c-clamps. 2 to 3 inches or so. Larger will do but are harder to handle.
    - pipe clamps, optional. For tighter joints.
    - scraps to cushion clamps so you don't put round divots in the clamped parts.
    - assortment of small finish nails and wood screws
    - power drill and right-sized bit for pilot holes for the screws, countersink bit
    - power sander or just sandpaper, rough, medium and fine grit
    - good wood glue. Some like Elmer's. I don't. Gorilla Glue, Gorilla Wood Glue, Titebond III
    - wood stain. Your preference. I'm tending to lighter tints because they show more of the pretty wood grain. Darker tints tend to hide the grain.
    - stainable, sandable wood filler
    - polyurethane top coat. Easiest and fastest to work with. You might see this called polyurethane varnish. It isn't varnish. two part epoxy will work but is pricey and easy to make mistakes with. Old-timey varnish or lacquer will wear you out with the multiple coats but hand rubbing gives a deeper glow to the clear final finish.
    - furniture polish
    - other stuff I've forgotten for now

Last edited: Mar 27, 2023
  2. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

Nice work, my brother built me one like that from natural wood.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  3. Dwight Ward

Registered

I forgot paint. This is where you can coordinate colors with your existing decor. Use exterior paint always - semi-gloss or gloss. It's more durable and easier to clean. My tables are partly painted and partly stained, finished wood grain with one exception. A full wood finish table is doable but will take more time and require more skill. The joints are harder to make look good. Next post will be building materials.

4. Dwight Ward

Registered

Materials

A lot depends on what you have on hand. Of obvious utility are scraps of 1" x (whatever) shelving lumber ( #2 grade or better), usable scraps of plywood (1/2" or thicker with exterior glue) and short pieces of molding - outside corner molding, stop molding, casing, etc.

You may not have any closet pole ( for legs) or flat surfacing panels. If the lumber store carries two sizes of closet pole, choose the thicker. Do your own estimate for what length you'll need.

Some vegetables still come in wooden boxes with thin wood sides stapled or wired together at the corners. These wood panels may be relatively straight and flat or not. Either are usable. The most interesting ones have been sitting outside and are weathered and warped.. They are 1/4" or less in thickness. Here is what you do with them:

Panels.gif

The idea is not to make them perfectly flat. You're only trying to get them flat enough so that they may be glued and clamped to a plywood base for a nice natural-grained, stained and varnished surface. One trick is to wet them thoroughly before clamping. In addition to clamping as above, you may have to shave some off one side of some pieces with a table saw to make them parallel and square in their long dimension.The ends will take care of themselves as far as being square when you cut them to length.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2023
  5. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

Dwight,I'm out of my league on this thread.

6. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Just a mention: An old steam iron works great before clamping your boards.

Don Alaska and Dwight Ward like this.
  7. Dwight Ward

Registered

How can I make it better, Marie?
    CoolStuff.jpg

8. Dwight Ward

Registered

Let's put something together. We'll do a nightstand 12" x 24" x 24" high. We'll assume you have the plywood base ready, nice and square on all corners. You'll need that base plus enough of the thin panels to cover it. You'll also need good glue, 2 c-clamps and a 2 x 4 as long as the plywood base is wide.
    Start with one panel cut square on one end and slightly longer than the width of the plywood base. Spread glue generously on the underside of the panel, paying special attention to the edges of the panel. Excess glue can be dealt with later. Place the panel on the base perfectly flush with one end and also flush with one short side of the base. Let the other end of the panel be a little over the other long side of the base.
    Using the 2x4 on top of the panel clamp the panel heavily to the base. I'll pause here until I can get a good illustration of the preceding with my paint program. It wants to fight me.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  9. Dwight Ward

Registered

10. Dwight Ward

Registered

Actually I'm out of step with this and need to back up before placing the surface panels. More soon.

11. Dwight Ward

Registered

I'm getting busy with work and will catch this thread up as soon as I can. :eek:

12. Dwight Ward

Registered

I promise I'll continue this thread soon. I'm busy as can be but I'll take the time.

Nancy Hart likes this.