Hurricane Season Starts Early, Again

Discussion in 'Weather & Natural Disasters' started by Beth Gallagher, May 22, 2021.

1. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Yes, it's that time of year again. Hurricane season is June - November but we already have a surprise in the Atlantic. Sigh.

upload_2021-5-22_12-51-4.png

Tony Page likes this.
  2. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Funny, but folks in Colorado don't know, or care, about what's happening on the Gulf or Atlantic coasts, unless they have relatives that live there. Same goes for the folks that live on the Gulf or Atlantic coasts, they really don't care about the snowstorms/blizzards that hit here. My BIL (wife's brother) lives close to Baca Raton, but really doesn't care about the hurricane season.

When we lived in northeastern Florida, aka Jacksonville, very few people even knew where Colorado was. When we told them we were moving back, they were shocked that we'd want to return to "Old Man Winter".

D'Ellyn Dottir likes this.
  3. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Well, then I suppose I should ask why you bothered to open this thread...? Scoot on over to Ken's "SNOW" thread and knock yourself out. :p

4. D'Ellyn Dottir

D'Ellyn Dottir Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I lived in Ft Walton Beach for a while. Rode out my only hurricane there. In my car, in front of my apartment building. Not sure what possessed me to think that was a good idea.

When I left FL, it was for Germany. Not many hurricanes there. :D I'll take Colorado winters over relentless sunshine any day.

A friend of a friend with property in Alabama got really battered last season by all the hurricanes in the Gulf. I hope they are spared this year.

Tony Page and Yvonne Smith like this.
  5. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Well, during the 10 1/2 years we lived in Jacksonville, Florida, we went thru a number of Tropical Storms and the outter bands of Hurricane Mathew came over us. But, Hurricane Irma came right over us and it turned Jacksonville into a mess. The St. Johns River, that runs thru Jacksonville, was a junkyard full of picnic tables and a lot of other stuff. A few nice boats broke away from their docks and crashed into a couple of bridges.

Now, what's so funny is..........we were told, when we arrived in Jacksonville, that hurricanes don't hit there due to the location of the city. Hurricane Irma proved that wrong.

A few months ago, we had a full-blown blizzard that dumped 30 inches of snow on us. Will take that over the Tropical Storms and Hurricanes, but that's us.

Then, there are the "Snowbirds" that don't worry about Florida summer weather. They are living at their other home and have full insurance that covers their property/home. We know of two couples that are just that, "Snowbirds".

6. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

If a hurricane's gonna arrive early, they shouldn't name it after a woman. Just sayin' ;)

I've been through a handful of rough ones (hurricanes, that is) having lived in the mid Atlantic for nearly 60 years. There has been destruction nearby but none too serious that I've witnessed (or experienced) directly.

I was injured by tree debris during a tornado in Indiana when I was a kid. I got vague memories of it.

7. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

Every state has some natural or not so natural weather to deal with. It's just not all made by God anymore. Here in Louisiana, hurricane season is starting up...and as is true every season no one really knows where they will end up. So our prayer time goes up during this season too...since we have Family in Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, and North Carolina.

Mary Robi likes this.
  8. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Time to get the prep work done!!

hurricane straps.jpg

9. John Brunner

You likely know that in some parts of the country, if you have a mobile home, you are required to lash it down that way, at least you did when I lived in a trailer. I see photos of modern anchors where they are anchored underneath, from the bottom of the frame to the ground. Back in the day they were banded across the top and straight down the sides in 3-4 places like a box on a pallet, then strapped to screw-anchors in the ground.

I doubt that they would have helped in a real hurricane. They mostly stopped the thing from being blown off the cinder blocks it was set up on in a strong wind.

10. Beth Gallagher

Registered

I know that some "tie downs" are required but certainly not like those in the picture.

John Brunner likes this.
  11. John Brunner

In looking at it, if the guy had lay down sheets of plywood and then put those straps around it, he'd have a pretty good shield.

12. Beth Gallagher

Registered

I suspect you haven't been through a hurricane. :D:D (This is a real picture; the only house standing on Bolivar Peninsula after Hurricane Ike.)

political-pictures-house-ike-wtf-wa.jpg

John Brunner likes this.
  13. John Brunner

How is that possible?

A tornado can be that pin-point, but a hurricane?

14. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Pin point? It swept the peninsula clean. That house was new construction at the time and likely had better construction with hurricane straps, etc.

https://abc13.com/gilchrist-texas-yellow-house-hurricane-bolivar-ike-swedes-real-estate/4235787/

I live about 40 miles from there. We rode out Ike in our house and had no damage but were without power for over 2 weeks of Texas heat and mosquito hell.

Last edited: May 27, 2021
    John Brunner likes this.
  15. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

What I get somewhat shocked about, is when The Weather Channel has a reporter on-scene during a hurricane. I've seen Jim Cantore looking like he was going to get completely blown away.