Husband And Wife Relationships

Discussion in 'Family & Relationships' started by Marie Mallery, Mar 26, 2022.

1. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Maybe natural-born women, but beware of the transgenders. :oops:

2. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

Wellllll one day, long ago, hubby and I were talking about the many people who divorced, some reasons why, how much it cost and the emotional destruction. We've been pretty amicable all our lives so didn't quite 'get it'.
    He was thoughtful for a bit and then said, If we ever got a divorce, I would leave you with all we have and walk away. He was the wage earner and we owned a house outright. Surprised that he even thought of us divorcing, I said, does that mean I get custody of the kids?
    He said, Yes.
    So, I said, Oh no. I'll leave YOU with everything and I will walk away.:D
    Ever since, we have told everyone that we stayed together because of the children. Of course, I don't know why now. Maybe because no one else would have us?

3. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

Not if he runs r-e-a-l ~~~ s-l-o-w.

4. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

...and right at her ;)

5. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

Somebody stop me?:D
    In one of the old songs the lyric is " a boy chases a girl until she catches him".:cool:

John Brunner likes this.
  6. John Brunner

"A Man Chases A Girl (Until She Catches Him)" 1955

This is chock-full of famous folks of the era:
    Eddie Fisher and Debbie Reynolds (who later got married)
    Conducted by Hugo Winterhalter.
    Marilyn Monroe and Donald O’Connor performed the Irving Berlin song in the late-1954 film musical “There’s No Business Like Show Business.”

Marie Mallery and Mary Stetler like this.
  7. Marie Mallery

Registered

Thanks John, this song tells it like it is. There I go tempting myself 'again'. This time its Billy Joe Royal:D
    My kids call mr ther YouTube Queen, plus I have music on the brain.o_O

Love is strange.

8. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

So, what happens to a marriage if sickness happens and the marriage, starts to and ends up, ending (due to death)? We know of two couples that's happened to.

My SIL (wife's older sister). She wanted to marry a Pastor and did. Unfortunately, he lost his church to a newer church and things started going downhill from there. Then, he never wanted her to go on any kind of vacation. He said "it's a totally waste of money". The SIL bought a condo, only in her name, but allowed him to move into it. Then, he hurt his foot driving a tractor-trailer. She didn't want to be a nurse and he didn't want any of her help. He wound up moving out of the condo and got a place of his own, where a nurse would stop in twice a week to check on him. He got worse and moved back into the condo. A few weeks later, after being on Life Support in the hospital, it was decided to take him off and he died. Does my SIL miss him, absolutely not and she has stated just that. She doesn't even want to be put next to him at the cemetery. She has all kinds of complaints about him.

Second couple: My wife had know the wife since high school. Everything had gone great with them, until she got Lupis. Her mind went, serious arthritis set in. She went into the hospital for a surgery and ended up dying in the hospital. After she died, he began selling many things that she wouldn't let him sell, because her name and his was on ownership papers, like their Michigan house. Now, he has that up for sale. She got so bad, she didn't want to see her two sons and their families and they didn't want to see hers.

So, here are two very long-term marriages that ended with death due to health reasons and both living spouses seem to be very happy their spouse is gone. Can sound somewhat morbid, but I guess this can happen.

Marie Mallery and John Brunner like this.
  9. Marie Mallery

Registered

They are sad story's but thank goodness most marriages aren't like that.

Hedi Mitchell likes this.
  10. John Brunner

Here. Have a puppy.

[​IMG]

11. Joy Martin

Joy Martin Veteran Member
    Registered

Many marriages end up as tangled webs, illness, financial, no more love, not even like, so if one has good words to say about them, good...

My mom complained about my dad forever as long as I can remember. Maybe they had good years in the beginning, 3 kids came out of it, but alcohol took over and went downhill as I saw it and as she complained all the time. I didn't have good role models.

My sis was major wage earner in their marriage, long story, she traveled the world and he took care of house duties and their daughter. When her MS progressed so terribly, he was her major caregiver did it all and what a huge void for him when she died about 5 yrs ago. I thought maybe he would end up with someone but I have not heard but he would not necessarily tell me anyway.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2022
    Marie Mallery and Hedi Mitchell like this.
  12. Mary Stetler

Registered

I'll take it! Daughter loves corgis. We can fight over it.
    Oh.....
    We are not married.

13. Mary Stetler

Registered

My first husband and I were very happy. We talked about being buried in the same casket. He died suddenly. Things don't always go the way you want and people get sick and die.
    My present hubby and I are glad we have separate bathrooms! We give each other plenty of space.
    I worry about taking care of him in the end and he worries about taking care of me.
    I think I should put two hefty bags by the manure pile.

14. Joy Martin

Joy Martin Veteran Member
    Registered

Things improved somewhat in my parent's lives when mom finally moved into the 2nd bedroom...she got good sleep.

The thought of sharing my bed with anyone ever again makes me shake...

Marie Mallery and John Brunner like this.
  15. John Brunner

Things improved in my parents life when my dad moved into my bedroom. Then he left. But it never got "good." Things may have gotten worse. They were as broken apart as they were together.

Mary Stetler and Marie Mallery like this.