I Have A Hawk Hanging Around Right At My House

Discussion in 'Science & Nature' started by John Brunner, Jul 8, 2021.

1. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

The variety changes from year to year, but when I first moved in there were a ton more critters. The place was owned by an out-of-state investor for over 6 years, and had been vacant for some time before that. I used to go out on my deck late at night and shine a flashlight into the trees at the end of my back field, and a dozen pairs of eyes would be glowing back at me. Now there are none. I also had a family of skunk who have relocated, as have the fox that were here. They're all likely still nearby, they're just not as visible as they used to be.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2021
    Marie Mallery likes this.
  2. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

what a shame they have moved

John Brunner likes this.
  3. John Brunner

I believe when I arrived they said "There goes the neighborhood." I could tell my presence was a shock.

It's funny that I still see deer in my yard daily, but they're not around at the wood edge at night in the numbers they used to be. And I do miss the skunks. Among other things, they destroy yellow jacket nests.

Hedi Mitchell likes this.
  4. Dwight Ward

Dwight Ward Veteran Member
    Registered

Dwight is wondering about what a 'mosquito dunk' is. Ahh, she means mosquito drunk. The little pests get liquored up and dive for your big veins. All is clear.

John Brunner likes this.
  5. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

Teresa, I want to know more about 'mosquito dunks'.

6. Teresa Levitt

Teresa Levitt Veteran Member
    Registered

they're shaped like a donut...floats and kills all mosquito larvae..doesn't harm fish or frogs

John Brunner and Yvonne Smith like this.
  7. John Brunner

[​IMG]

The active ingredient in Mosquito DunksĀ® is Bacillus thuringiensis subspecies israelensis (Bti). Bti is a bacterium that is deadly to mosquito larvae but harmless to other living things.

8. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

I don't know about the area you live in but here in N.Fl. the forest are being cleared for more human developement.
    Wildlife is running out of habitat. We try to keep our little forest for them a small sanctuary but its not really big enough. We have a family of deer that has somehow survied the Yosomirte Sam's who use to continously shoot. When we moved here we saw fox,deer,coons,even one Florida Panther,Also had Passion Flowers aka Maypops. Not seen one of those in at least 20 years.All kinds of wildlife and plants have gone.
    Our crows keep the Hauks away.Both are now on endangered list.We saw a couple crows hit a hawk and knock baby rabbit out of its grip in the air. Wouldn't have beleived it if didn't see it ourselves.

John Brunner likes this.
  9. John Brunner

There is no such development in my immediate area, but I've seen tracts of hundreds of acres in this region razed for development.

Marie Mallery likes this.
  10. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

We still have our crow aka Pretty Bird whos been hanging around for several years now ,now Pretty Bird has a family.So now we have 4 of them cauwing for treats or food, Pretty Bird,Clucker,Nikki and Clucker Jr..
    Its a shame we use to see flocks of crows all over the sky. Not anymore. I think these 4 are it now.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2021
    John Brunner likes this.
  11. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Yesterday, as I went out to the car I saw a big hawk leave our pine tree and fly across the lower road, up to the top of the hill and settle on the top of a giant, cone-laden pine. While I was looking, a second one followed the first. I debated on getting the camera to take a picture, and finally decided to give it a go.
    Hawk Cropped.jpg

Last edited: Nov 22, 2021
  12. John Brunner

What a great pic, Joe.

Do you hear them call? I wake up nearly every morning to the sound of one of them off in the woods, screeching. We're at the tail end of their fall migration, and sometimes the travelers may stop to rest in another hawk's year-round territory...it causes issues.

Don Alaska and Tony Page like this.
  13. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

No, they are silent, swooping, sentinels who stop by for a meal. We are surrounded by fields and farmland, and I have seen 6 or 8, in pairs hunting at one time. We have three crows, who are regulars, but have seen up to 9 to 12 together.

Tony Page and John Brunner like this.
  14. Ed Wilson

Ed Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

I live in a residential development and tend to see Red-tailed hawks from time to time. One caught a starling in the backyard and I watched it through the kitchen window. Later I walked over to see what was left and it was just a few feathers and a skull. I saw what was left of a rabbit once in the front yard too with nothing but head and feet remaining.

Winter must be a tough time for them. Young of the year bunnies etc. have disappeared and any migratory birds have moved south.

15. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

@Joe Riley:
    That tree is almost as interesting as the hawk. :cool: Don't think I've ever seen one like it. Is that a Douglas Fir?

John Brunner and Tony Page like this.