I Have Decided To Quit Reading

Discussion in 'Reading & Writing' started by Bill Boggs, Mar 17, 2018.

1. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

I donate mine when finished...tnx for info will think about it.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  2. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

Gosh @Bill Boggs I have the KJV, the NKJV , the NIV , the NAS. and the NLT versions. And I read all of the versions...but not all at the same time.

If someone asked me which Bible version I would recommend for someone reading the Bible for the first time or after a very long time of not reading it....my personal recommendation would be the New Living Translation. I would recommend that version because it's written just plain and simple just like I'm talking to you right now.

Now on the other hand my favorite Bible is the Life Application Study Bible which comes in any version you may want to read and comes in large print too. :)

Bill Boggs likes this.
  3. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

One of my sons gave me the Kindle, then this year he gave me a year of Kindle Unlimited. I don't know if I will get his money's worth out of the Kindle Unlimited, but I do use it some. The Kindle doesn't replace the regular books; it supplements them. I find it difficult to go back and forth in a document on the Kindle. For example, I think there are several versions/translations available of The Bible. It is very useful if you intend to read it from beginning to end, but if you jump around in it, as I do in The Bible or in any number of reference books, the Kindle is awkward to use. I use the Kindle to read novels and such, but I always have a paper book going as well.

Yvonne Smith and Babs Hunt like this.
  4. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

I'm a jumper too Don. :) But even if I wasn't there is just something about holding a real book in your hands, turning those pages and using a real bookmarker to "save" your place...that just brings real joy to my heart. :)

5. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I think there's a way to do that with searches or through the table of contents, but I haven't been able to do that comfortably on my Kindles. So, although I have a couple of Bibles on Kindle, I don't use them. I'm sure there are probably people do this with their Kindle but if I have to spend too much time trying to figure out how to do something, I'll just use something else for that task. I suppose that's why I don't like magazines on Kindle because I don't read magazines from the first page to the last; rather, I skip around. I do like the fact that the Kindle will keep my place while I am reading. I can just close it out and it will put me right back where I left off the next time I open it up.

Don Alaska likes this.
  6. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I think that it is possible to do a search with the Kindle, but I haven’t really investigated how to do this as of yet. What I have been doing is using the iPad Mini and the Kindle in conjunction if I need to find something, and have a reasonable idea what part of the book I read it in.
    I leave the Kindle set where I am reading at, and then open the same book with the Mini, and scroll through until I find the part that I am looking for. I do not have to do this very often, or it would be awkward to keep looking this way, but for an occasional thing, it does the job.
    If I have a book that I know I want to save and be able to find things (like a nutrition book) then I will usually spend the money to buy the book on Amazon or ebay, because I can highlight parts that I know I will want to find again, and it is much easier for me to look for these highlighted parts with a regular book than it is with a Kindle.
    I have found that recipe books on the Kindle (or even better on the Mini) are wonderful though. Instead of taking a recipe book into the kitchen, I just set up the Kindle or ipad in there and then I can read and follow the recipe very easily that way . Robin actually had a clipboard set up on her cupboard door, and she just clipped her Mini up with that so it was at eye-level and easy to see and read the recipe.

Bill Boggs likes this.
  7. Jo Jujo

Jo Jujo Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I am an avid reader, use kindle,absolutely love reading, it relaxes me.

Yvonne Smith and Hedi Mitchell like this.
  8. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

Have been under the weather and more apt to sleep than read but went to the library this afternoon and did start two books this afternoon and tonight. One a fiction, "The Other Woman," by Daniel Silva and a nonfiction by Pat Conway, "A Lowcountry Heart." I wish I was a fast reader but am not. Still I suppose you could say I'm an avid reader even though I plod along the text like a teenager chopping weeds in a cotten field and daydreaming of getting away from it all. The first a large novel, the second short reflections on a writer's life.

9. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I started to salivate the other day when I saw a novel by Charles Dickens at a bargain store. At this point, I can’t even remember the name of it but it doesn’t make any difference because the print was so small and blotchy that reading it would have been miserable.

But still, the thought of a good hard cover novel by Dickens, my pipe and easy chair was indeed a wonderful vision in my head however temporary that it was.

10. Renato Adams

Renato Adams Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I think also there is a lot of good old books. Be happy that u still can read. I even need someone who read for me the topics here and write for me.

Bobby Cole, Bill Boggs and Don Alaska like this.
  11. Bill Boggs

Registered

@Renato Adams, I am thankful. I did quite reading books for a while. Read magazines and online Flipboard, etc. But I missed books like I miss social interaction, so I'm at it again. By the way, welcome to the forum.

12. Bill Boggs

Registered

• I have finished Daniel Silvia's, The Other Woman. The large print edition is way over 600 pages. Today I got a haircut then to the library and checked out another couple of Silvia's books. Also got a book about the state of Maine. Soon I will know as much about that New England state as some local residence (if I read it).

13. Lulu Moppet

Lulu Moppet Veteran Member
    Registered

I have so many books that I no longer buy any. No room! I use the library, also download to my kindle from the library. Belong to a library book club, which meets monthly. The facilitator, a librarian, always picks something I would have had no knowledge of on my own. Last month's selection was "Gilead", which I did not get a chance to read, prompting me to learn of a cheat sheet website named 'SavingGrades.' This month is "The Tattooist of Auschwitz" which is quite engrossing, although I'm partial to Holocaust literature. Another in the same vein was "Nightingale". One of the best books I have ever read, "The Underground Railroad" by Colson Whitehead was another book I would never have come across on my own. Have interest in Slavery literature, too. Left to my own devices I generally stick to mysteries, preferring female authors with tough female leads. Authors include Sue Grafton, Sara Paretsky, Marcia Muller, Victoria Thompson, etc. That habit started with Nancy Drew. Proud owner of the original works about the 'Girl' Detective, of which I have many.

When the book club started one of the first selections was "My Brilliant Friend" soon to be shown as a series on HBO.

14. Bill Boggs

Registered

What I meant when I said, "I Have decided to quit reading," is I will will read only what I want to read. Not necessilary what someone wanted me to read,or suggested I read, which I have done for several years. My reading speed angd abilities have slowed down and deterrated. Not sure why but when I moved from west Texas
    To Oklahoma, I disposed of a library that was meaningful to me. It was something just over five hundred books.
    It contained only a few fiction novels, novels I had determined good feferrnce works of the genre. I supposed you could say it was a reference library. I didn't have room for the books in the small house we bought in Oklahoma. Of all my possessions those books have been most missed.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  15. Jim Nash

Jim Nash Veteran Member
    Registered

I envy ardent readers, my wife is one. I do read, mainly autobiographies and travel accounts, but like other contributors have said, my interest wanes. Probably having a butterfly brain doesn't help but so many writers fail to hold my interest. I ran a creative writing group for many years, (just retired amateurs.) We employed a number of published writers for tuition but the majority had an over developed ego not backed up by the contents of their books.
    It seems to me that publishers demand quantity over quality. Four hundred pages are value for money; unfortunately this can involve three pages devoted to crossing the street. A lot of the classics are just two hundred pages long, many holding your interest all the way.