I Love Tea!

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Marie Jean, Nov 9, 2020.

1. Marie Jean

Marie Jean Well-Known Member
    Registered

@Cody Fousnaugh I have the empties displayed on the shelves behind it.. lol

2. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Today was another one of those days that my coffee (same stuff I have every morning) just tasted like bad flavored sludge, so I ended up dumping it out and made myself a cup of hot tea instead.
    I do not know what it is, but some days coffee tastes better to me, and some days tea tastes better. I have some of the different flavored teas, but today I just made a plain cup of black pekoe tea, and it was just what i wanted.

3. Laura Jones

Laura Jones Well-Known Member
    Registered

I enjoy sweetened iced tea with lemon, not so much the hot tea blends, the hot beverages I prefer are coffee with half-and-half and sweetener as well as hot chocolate. Hot apple cider is also super especially on a cold autumn or winter day!

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  4. Yvonne Smith

For a while now, I have been trying out the different flavors of the Teeccino herbal coffee, plus chicory coffee, and I think that I just got “coffeed-out” of the taste , regardless of where it came from.
    So, I ordered a small packet of Lipton loose tea from Amazon last week, and have been enjoying a hot cup of tea here and there , instead of the herbal coffee, or regular coffee.

Spoiled girl that I am , I also ordered a pretty new mug with flowers on it from Amazon, so I can have my designated tea cup and designated coffee cup. I had some amazon gift cards saved up from the surveys, so that always means I can splurge on something that I want and not break the bank doing it.

It is a 16 oz mug, so will hold a nice sized cup of tea.

E4806F91-908F-4EE0-A9E7-2D70A4FD91E6.jpeg

5. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Very pretty, Yvonne. I always prefer hot tea or coffee in a cup and saucer, but hot cocoa in a mug. Weird how we have these little quirks. (And even quirkier... I drink my coffee from a Fiesta cup and tea from Desert Rose. :D)

Marie Mallery and Yvonne Smith like this.
  6. Yvonne Smith

Absolutely ! I have my Desert Rose here, but my old Fiesta is still in Idaho, so I will probably never see it again. I love them both, and I used to drink my coffee from the Fiesta mug also. I love the Desert Rose cups, but I like a larger one for tea, or I would use mine.

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  7. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

My mother was British, so I grew up drinking hot tea...always with cream and sugar. The teas I recall being around the house were from A&P grocery stores (The Great Atlantic & Pacific Tea Company) and Red Rose for special occasions. It was always brewed from loose tea. There was never a tea bag in the house until she started working. (The tea in tea bags is made from the dust left when loose tea is processed. Tear open a bag...you'll not see anything that resembles a tea leaf.)

There was a period in my life where I was really into Asian teas. I just looked at my legacy notes: I've tried 18 different varieties of Asian teas from 4 different sources, in addition to the handful of traditional black teas I've tried. I love some of the names: Cloud Mist, Dragonwell, Golden Dragon, Golden Monkey, Green Gold, Gunpowder (rolled into tight BBs), Silver Needle, Snow Buds, Tuccha Pu-erh, White Hair Monkey. The most unique one is the Pu-erh, because it is shaped to look like a bird's nest, then it's fermented:

[​IMG]

I still brew Dragonwell and Gunpowder when I get Chinese carryout...I can't eat Asian food without chopsticks and tea.

For me, Asian teas are taken as-is, with no sweetener and certainly no dairy. Traditional black tea always gets cream & sugar. Coffee (which I never had until my work life, even though my father drank it) rapidly morphed from cream & sugar to just a little bit of sugar due to my early work conditions.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2023
  8. Yvonne Smith

My mother-in-law from my first marriage was British, and she and her sister both came to America as war brides. I am pretty sure that she always used loose tea, at least for a long time ; because I remember that she knew how to read the tea leaves in our (dainty) tea cups. I know we had milk and sugar in the tea , too, and it was a special kind of thing to do together.
    I think that in later years, she started getting tea bags, but in order for her to read the tea leaves, she had to have been using loose-leaf tea, and just putting it in the bottom of the cups to steep.
    I don’t remember her having a teapot, just the little teacups.

This is her on the left, with her older sister, probably late 40’s or early 1950’s, in Washington State.

8B3CA719-A10D-4BCF-B1A9-A9235D37231E.jpeg

9. John Brunner

Pardon my Topic diversion: There were a lot of British women who came to the states as brides of American and Canadian soldiers. In 1946 they formed a club called The Trans-Atlantic Brides and Parents Association (TBPA.) My mother hooked up with them when we moved to the DC burbs in the early 60s. I don't recall there being a chapter in Indiana.

They have a Facebook page. I cannot find a regular webpage for them, but there are lots of articles if you search.

Back on Topic: I wonder how many people without a British connection grew up drinking real tea (not the herbal stuff.)

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  10. Beth Gallagher

Registered

I grew up drinking tea almost every day, but it was over ice with an obscene amount of sugar. :D

Yvonne Smith and John Brunner like this.
  11. John Brunner

I'll order unsweet tea and add just enough sugar to take the edge off. I can sweeten 3-4 glasses of tea with a single packet. I cannot describe the feeling when I've been served sweet tea. I really don't like thinking about it.

12. Beth Gallagher

Registered

I drink unsweetened tea now, but as a kid in the south it's a wonder we had any teeth left.

Ken Anderson and John Brunner like this.
  13. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

I don't drink tea since I liked sweet tea and no longer can have it. But I do agree Yvonne mug is beautiful.

14. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

But wait! . What about Tetley?

Try link below (It might work)

TINY LITTLE TEA LEAVES

[​IMG]

Yvonne Smith and John Brunner like this.
  15. John Brunner

They don't make 'em like that anymore!

And yeh, they're tiny, alright. Swept up, uh, I mean made 'specially for tea bags.

"George, have you seen my dust pan tea leaf collector?"

Nancy Hart likes this.