I Need Help Finding More Health Coverage

Discussion in 'Money & Finances' started by Denise Evans, Sep 15, 2023.

1. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

We just have a local independent agent, Denise. He is a broker, so he can represent any insurance companies that are in Alabama, and he can see which plan works best for each person. I am surprised that your State Farm agent does not do medicare insurance, or at least be able to refer you to an agent who does health insurance.
    We get letters in the mail all the time from companies trying to promote medicare plans, and i am surprised that you do not get those ! Bobby called one and it sent Jassen the info and he contacted us and set up an appointment, so it was not anything special we did to find our agent.

You can also sign up with Humana right from that website I sent you, I think., and. Not need an agent unless you want to do comparison shopping.

2. Denise Evans

Denise Evans Supreme Member
    Registered

I've called my agent three times and left a message one time she hasn't called me back they're probably closed on Friday because that's typical of our crappy area I also get a lot of mail junk mail because I already had the WellCare which I used to have Humana and they changed it over on me as I mentioned so now I'm stuck with WellCare I can't get a hold of them and now it's almost to lunch hour or it is the lunch hour so I'm stuck right now I'm just playing a game and forgetting about it for now

3. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

@Denise Evans if all else fails, you could try one of the healthcare costs sharing plans. Some are faith-based and some are not, but I have one son (27 years old) and one friend (65 years old) who are on those plans and neither has anything rally bad to say about them. Apparently if your doctor doesn't bill them, you can forward the bill to the plan and they will reimburse you. That is all I know about them but perhaps someone here has some insight.

Denise Evans and Hedi Mitchell like this.
  4. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

@Yvonne Smith I used insurance agent and Humana is is all they could come up with. We only had it month was $80 for us both. Not bad, but we cant afford anything really, anther reason for the advantage plan. However @Denise Evans -
    Walmart has some plans, brand new, am going to check those out. Cigna has Escripts, but we use Walmart pharmacy .
    Also trying to find a doctor, close? At least and hour but 2-3 hours for specialty doctors. Then trying to find one with a name you can pronounce, almost impossible! Thank goodness we are still healthy enough that only see doctor for Rx refills or if an issue. I need a lung doctor and a heart doctor for when something comes up. Then a good Rheumatologist be nice.
    I have and am putting up decent with our new way of life,but the lack of medical care is hard to take.It was my biggest fear in making this move, i hate it when I am right. :(

Denise Evans and Yvonne Smith like this.
  5. Yvonne Smith

I agree with you, @Hedi Mitchell . Having absolutely GREAT doctors here is one of the reasons I like Huntsville. With the Redstone Arsenal, NASA, FBI, and missile headquarters all here in Huntsville (and hopefully Spaceforce coming soon), they have really good medical options here. Both Bobby and I would rather live in the country, or at least a small town; but having all of the good doctors and hospitals here makes it worth living here, and Alabama is actually one of the cheaper states to live in.

6. Hedi Mitchell

Registered

for heavens sake do not move!

Denise Evans and Yvonne Smith like this.
  7. Yvonne Smith

Do I look like my name is Cody ? We are not planning on moving anywhere, and know that no place is perfect, so right where we are is where we will stay.

8. Denise Evans

Registered

Wow I sure didn't know Huntsville had all that how neat to live there you guys are really blessed!!

Don Alaska and Yvonne Smith like this.
  9. Denise Evans

Registered

This is something I was really interested in but I never did do a search to find out if anyone I could find might know something about who to contact anyway thank you for this don it might be an option for me. Right now all I want to do is move to Huntsville Alabama

10. Hedi Mitchell

Registered

lolo are you getting testy with me :p

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  11. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

I got an automated call (twice) from my prescription insurance telling me that my premiums for 2024 will be $0.00, and to not expect a payment coupon book. I keep forgetting to call them to see exactly what gives. It wasn't all that expensive to begin with, but still....

12. Hedi Mitchell

Registered

We probably will stick with straight Medicare again and continue to use Cigna for Rx meds.
    I feel like this is a risky way but you literally can not get decent affordable insurance in this county.