I Never Thought I'd See The Day Hamburger Was This Expensive

Discussion in 'Shopping & Sales' started by Shirley Martin, Aug 20, 2022.

1. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I'm sure some people have the inside scoop on availability, but I believe the stores have pickups from the food kitchens that feed hungry homeless people. I'm just glad the food isn't being thrown in a dumpster (but I'm sure there's a bit of that, too.) The food pantries around here are busier than ever, so it would surprise me if much goes to waste there.

2. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

I've seen the truly needy and the truly greedy, I had stalls at flea markets when I sold Shrimp and saw them selling the things given to them at these free for all's. My friends' parents sold jewelry he made for a hobby because they didn't need the money.
    It is good to give but not foolishly. Look what welfare has done to those who live in ghettos. Communities of able-bodied people who have idle hands and minds.
    Is not Idle hands the devils workshop?

3. Marie Mallery

Registered

Toys for Tots, another 'charity' taken advantage of, those toys were being sold all over flea markets some yard sales.

" Give a man a fish, feed him for a day, teach a man to fish, feed him for a lifetime."

Tony Page likes this.
  4. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I've done a lot of work in my community. We worked in this one house and took 3 pickup truck loads of rusted canned food to the landfill because the people grabbed anything that was free, and then let it sit for years. They had a chest freezer that had so much free stuff they could not close the lid and it all [obviously] spoiled.

There is a group of churches in a nearby town that takes turns feeding the needy once a month. I've helped the UMC church many times when they host the event. When the meal is over, we provide containers so folks can take the leftovers home. Rather than take a slice or two, I've seen people take a whole pie and slide it out of the pan into a plastic grocery bag...the whole damn pie just sloshing around.

Fortunately, the vast majority of the folks I've met have made me glad I was able to do what I could. But there are some that just make you shake your head.

5. Beth Gallagher

Registered

The problem with that is, so many don't want to learn how to fish.

6. John Brunner

They're not hungry enough.

Local non-profits generally know who those folks are. We get together and share info. We try to deploy resources to work with those folks to bring them into the fold. It's not always perfect, but there's some accountability to it...and there's no corruption.

7. Beth Gallagher

Registered

I suppose I don't spend my time analyzing who is needy enough for charity. I imagine that the majority of people who show up at food banks have hit rock bottom and just need a helping hand.

I'll be the first to admit that I don't want to fish, either. I'm spoiled and if I had to kill an animal for food I'd be eating the grass from our lawn.

8. John Brunner

You worked for a living...you metaphorically fished for years.

I agree that there are lots of folks who need a helping hand. There are others who would rather spend their money on other stuff if they can get things for free. I don't know if our local food bank tries to "means test" things.

9. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

If it's true that we get what we pay for, we've never been better off. Thank you, Joe Biden.

10. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

I find it strange that some of the food pantries will be outside of a grocery store with a list of foods they are looking for, and asking for a donation. I usually will pick up a few items and give it to them when I leave the store. It makes me feel good to contribute to somebody needy.
    I enjoy reviewing Craigslist items that are free. Every once in awhile I will see the food pantries running an ad under Craigslist free with their location and hours. I never see anything that suggests it's only for the needy, so I can only assume it's for the needy and the greedy. I guess they don't have the right to check your status, so they just had food out to anybody, they have to assume you're an honest person.

11. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I’ve noticed that the plethora of squirrels we had have diminished in numbers substantially Could it be…….?

12. Marie Mallery

Registered

I understand and find it kind that you want to help others as we all want to help those who really need it.

Tony Page likes this.
  13. Marie Mallery

Registered

Why should they when others will fish for them? Beth I've given to many people and saw what it did to them. Or maybe it is just todays society that ruins so many.

Krystal Shay and Tony Page like this.
  14. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

There's been a few times when online in the grocery store the person in front of me didn't have enough to pay for their groceries, if I feel they are needy I have payed for them. Many times they're appreciation made it worth it.

15. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

You sound like a prepper, @Beth Gallagher!