I Wanted To Be A Marine Biologist, Wishful Thinking Big Time

Discussion in 'Jobs I Have Had' started by Marie Mallery, Jan 17, 2023.

1. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

Since I was 15 and worked at The State Fair with 2 dolphins in 1965. I always loved the water so it would have been great if I wasn't lacking in the math dept. Although I did go up to the 4th year in college [which was good since I only went to 5th grade in school ] on a SAT entrance exam, it wasn't math that I excelled in.o_O.
    I always wanted to learn and have an education.
    Ater 3 kids I went back to school in Horticulture, which only lasted one semester having 3 toddlers, keeping babysitters was a problem. I had good grades considering it was mostly science.
    So it was back to waitress, bartending or factory for me.
    What did you want to be when you grew up?

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  2. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

A doctor or marine biologist ! A pipe dream it was. Did not do well in school. I was late bloomer in learning dept. But my mother pushed reading on me and that alone helped me survive. I was groomed for motherhood and being a wife, as they thought I was only smart enough for that I guess.
    However ironic, i excelled in working the back rooms of large brokerage firms, supported to 2 daughters on my own, in accounting type jobs, and had a wide variety of jobs over the years that I did enjoy.

Yvonne Smith and Marie Mallery like this.
  3. Marie Mallery

Registered

You seem to be proud of yourself, and justifiably so, good for you Heidi. So your the lost kid on WallStreet,:cool:

Hedi Mitchell likes this.
  4. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

:D

Marie Mallery likes this.
  5. Thomas Windom

Thomas Windom Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Oddly enough, I can remember being interested in nature and microscopy from the earliest years. I think it had something to do with this little microscope kit my parents got me. I thought it was cool to be able to see another world others could not. So, when I went to work, it turned out that I ended up doing a LOT of light and electron microscopy. When I left the labs and went to work with private industry, it still dealt with microscopy. So, I guess from the youngest age, I always wanted to play with microscopes.

Marie Mallery likes this.
  6. Marie Mallery

Registered

Thomas at least you got to do what you wanted, that's great. I guess looking back I did too, it just wasn't my childhood dream.