If You Feel Old, When Did You First Realize You Were Old?

Discussion in 'Philosophy & Psychology' started by Ken Anderson, Oct 16, 2022.

1. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

At this point I'm just thrilled to not be bald any longer. :D

2. Beth Gallagher

Registered

I really hope it will work for you.

3. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Only in the two years have I felt old. The immune disorder took way more out of me than I would know.
    I do not move as well, legs are weak ,- good and bad days there. I also can tell in my face, I do look bit older.
    Unfortunately, for a gal who was a bit of a hell raiser ,with all my rowdy friends - I have mellowed, and aged a bit like wine :)

4. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Immune disorders can take the "hell raising" right out of you. Somedays I feel older than others. If I compare the way I feel today to how I felt at 30, then I feel old. If compared to how I imagine I will feel at 90, then I feel young. I can't say what age I started feeling old because it all just snuck up on me.

For the sake of discussion and not to evade @Ken Anderson 's question, I am going to say this past year at age 71.

5. John Houlihan

John Houlihan Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

When I was 89, I used to take a long walk, followed by a long bike ride every day. Now I am 91 and have cut back to a long walk three days a week and no bike rides at all. Also, I never used to take afternoon naps. I now I need a 30 to 45 minute nap every afternoon at around 3 pm. Plus I don't have as much energy as before. So, my best guess is I started feeling old around 90. Luck of the Irish, I guess.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2022
    Faye Fox, Mary Stetler and Nancy Hart like this.
  6. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

John Houlihan likes this.
  7. John Houlihan

Registered

Namaste Ken, so far so good. I stopped my one-pack per day smoking when I was 47 and quit my 3-drinks per day when I was 89. I had the first part of my annual exam yesterday and the nurse took a lot of blood. I'll get the results with my doctor about three weeks from now. I hope she has good news on the blood work because I'm not quite ready to go yet. I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep.

8. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

I thought @Lois Winters was our oldest member, but once again I am wrong. I haven't ridden a bike or horse in years due to balance issues. I still walk a few miles a day and hope I will still be walking when I hit 91. I am going for 100 even though the odds are against me. If I can't walk at least a mile a day with sashay on my 100th birthday, I will be disappointed in myself. Thanks for sharing your inspiring info @John Houlihan.

Now when I see your and Lois's faces, I will be inspired, and should I be slacking off cutting time off my morning workout or shortening my walk, I will call myself a little sissy and get to moving.

9. John Houlihan

Registered

Namaste Faye, my long walk three times a week is only one mile and takes 30 minutes. I need a few pit stops to take three deep breaths at each stop. It's difficult but I am going to keep walking as long as I can.

I'm glad to hear you are doing a few miles a day. That's great. Keep it up. I encourage you to keep it up because I am thinking I should have kept doing my yoga exercises called the five Tibetan rites. The five Tibetans are difficult exercises that Eastern monks use to stay in shape. I stopped doing the five Tibetans when I was 89 and deeply regret it now. I tried a few days ago and no longer can do three of them. Dammit. I wish I had stayed with it. I may try again slowly.

I like your target of 100 and hope I can also reach it in good mental and physical shape. Otherwise, I'm out of here. I tell my four daughters I am going to live to 108 if it kills me. It's half joking and half intentional! Stay well, John.

10. Beth Gallagher

Registered

John, do you do yoga?

Faye Fox and John Houlihan like this.
  11. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

Good for you, I think it is important to keep moving if we are able. " Use it or lose it" is my motto, and I would rather die with my work boot's on if possible.
    Of course, life can have another plan but for me , but that's my plan.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2022
    Faye Fox and John Houlihan like this.
  12. John Houlihan

Registered

Namaste Beth. It depends on what you mean by yoga. If you mean physical exercises, then I have to say no because I stopped doing physical yoga when I was 89.

On the hand, Hinduism defines yoga as any path used for spiritual growth. The best known Hindu yogas are Bhakti yoga (devotion), Karma yoga (action), Gnana yoga (knowledge) and Raja yoga (meditation). Typically, a Hindu will focus on one of these yogas as the path for spiritual growth. I focus on Gnana yoga, the way of knowledge. However, I also do a bit of the other yogas as well.

Take care, John.

Faye Fox and Beth Gallagher like this.
  13. John Houlihan

Registered

Amen! Oh, what might have been! I should never have quit doing the five Tibetans. Marie, you are right. Use it or lose it. I am going to restart the five Tibetans. Namaste Marie.

Marie Mallery likes this.
  14. Beth Gallagher

Registered

No, I was just curious about the "namaste" that you use frequently. Seems like people I know who take yoga seriously are always using that greeting.

John Houlihan and Faye Fox like this.
  15. Hoot Crawford

Hoot Crawford Veteran Member
    Registered

I felt old when I turned 30.

Then I felt old again when my son turned 30.

Now I feel really old since my grandson turned 30.