If You Had To Move To Another Country, Which Would You Choose And Why?

Discussion in 'Places I Have Lived' started by Ken Anderson, Sep 4, 2022.

1. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

I'd move to Canada just over the border. Or maybe to Vancouver Island. The weather there is mild because of some kind of ocean stream.

Everything is free in Canada from conception to the grave. What's not to like?

Yvonne Smith and John Houlihan like this.
  2. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Costa Rica a big ex-pat destination. My sister had a friend who did some real estate development over their to sell to ex-pats. I've read stories that if you are not on-site, as soon as you take a break and go home, anything that's not nailed down gets stolen (under construction and already moved in.) Perhaps communities look after each other. I heard no such stories from my sister's friend, but since was selling places there, I doubt he would have volunteered the seedy side of life.

I don't know details other than it's a popular destination.

Marie Mallery and John Houlihan like this.
  3. John Brunner

Paying taxes. ;)

4. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

But everything is free.

5. Al Amoling

Al Amoling Veteran Member
    Registered

I' go t Israel so that after the rapture I'd know my way around

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 4, 2022
  6. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

Your very much welcome John, glad you enjoyed it. Jenna left the city life and moved up there, lived there in the wilderness for 8 years then met her husband she lives with today., it is a nice series of her videos. I really enjy watching them at times.
    Only positive and inspiring lifestyle.

John Houlihan likes this.
  7. John Brunner

You're right.

I failed to read you comment fully.

8. John Houlihan

John Houlihan Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I'm through moving but if I had to, I would go back to Ireland where I spent the most interesting and possibly the best 7 years of my life. It was not perfect, but it was close. I love all the Irish people, except for a couple bastards that were troublesome. That aside, what an adventure, what a ride! Up the Irish!

In 1969, my first wife, my three daughters, and I flew to Ireland where we lived for seven years. In 1976, we came back to California with two more daughters. We all look back on the Irish experience with fondest memories. It was a great country for meditation and finding my center of gravity. I don't know what it's like now, but it's still my top choice for getting out of Dodge..

My second choice would be Lake Como, Italy. In 1999, my brother and I left our wives home while we took a three-week tour of Italy. We had a ball, drinking our way through Italy and getting lost half the time because I was the driver and the other half of the time because he was the navigator. Lake Como was our favorite with a close second by Lucca where Giacomo Puccini wrote "La Boheme" (my favorite) and other great operas.

A final point. The Irish tend to be relaxed, so here is a joke about it. An Irishman asks a Mexican "What is the Spanish word for SOON?' The Mexican immediately says "Manana." The Irishman thinks about it for a while and finally says, "Do have another word without that sense of urgency?"

9. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

If I were younger, I could probably come up with some other ideas but I'm thinking the Channel Islands, either Guernsey or Jersey, probably the latter. Ever since I put the Channel Islands category together for my directory job, I've been intrigued by the Channel Islands, and I think I wouldn't mind living there. My family comes from Sweden, so the Scandinavian countries have always been places I'd like to see, but I fear they've been irreparably harmed by uncontrolled immigration in the past few years.

10. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

I always thought if I had to, I would move to Canada. But after the trucker demonstration and Trudeau at the helm, it seems It is heading the same way we are. And Canada does not want us up there now.
    I believe I could get citizenship in Ireland through my mother who was straight Irish. My brother recommends the Dominican Republic but my Spanish is poor. I might just build a dugout and pull the entrance in after me.

Ken Anderson and Marie Mallery like this.
  11. Thomas Stillhere

Thomas Stillhere Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Denmark is definitely irreparably harmed. 30 years ago they started using them for cheap labor to do all the real work and chores. They live a good life even with all the terrible high taxes. Free education and no limit to further your training in advanced careers. They have a short work week compared to ours and lots of vacation time paid. I still hear them complain about the immigrates but it is the immigrates that make some of these perks reachable. Those Danes love to party too. They do have a high rise in crime due to the influx and it is common to come home and all your stuff is gone. I didn't read about that but was told by a friend that it had happened to her.

Ken Anderson likes this.
  12. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I'd also choose Canada, mostly because their culture is very similar to the USA (especially close to the border) and it wouldn't be a culture shock to move there. Also, it is a beautiful country. I can't imagine leaving the US, though.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2022
  13. Thomas Stillhere

Thomas Stillhere Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

That free stuff might be drying up soon. Canada is infected with the woke also, you don't have any rights there which was show cased two months ago.

Marie Mallery likes this.
  14. Mary Robi

Mary Robi Veteran Member
    Registered

Ecuador. I'd be happy in either Quito or Cuenca or Banos. If I wanted some cold, I'd go up the Andes for a treat. If I wanted hot, I'd be off to Guayaquil for a vacation.

It's hard to find anyplace that doesn't have drug problems these days, at least places I'd want to live.

15. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

Australia. The people from there seem so friendly and down to earth. And I like their expressions and accent. Could listen to them tell stories all day. There must be places that aren't very crowded there. And I just found out there are some mountains in Australia too. That makes it even better.