Impressions Of Sri Lanka

Discussion in 'Travel & Vacation' started by Terry Page, Jan 20, 2016.

1. Ruby Begonia

Ruby Begonia Supreme Member
    Registered

@Terry Page , thanks for the stilt fishing info. its interesting... now they get paid for other to pose as fishermen.

Terry Page likes this.
  2. Terry Page

Terry Page Supreme Member
    Registered

Yes Fish Fingers is an odd description, you expect the fish to have fingers like frogs legs :rolleyes:

Ruby Begonia likes this.
  3. Ruby Begonia

Registered

4. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

Sri Lanke? Isn't that where some of my tea comes from? A place where a civil war was fought for years, a country that once had another name, or am I lost in La-la land?

5. Terry Page

Terry Page Supreme Member
    Registered

No Bill you are spot on, it used to be Ceylon under British rule and the Brits introduced tea to the island from India, they moved some Indian tea workers with their families to manage the plantations, and there are descendants of those workers living there now.
    It was a coffee drinking nation, but evidently a virus had killed off most of the coffee bushes, before tea was introduced.
    They still use the old name as a brand to market tea as it is so well known.

The civil war:
    The Sri Lankan Civil War was an armed conflict fought on the island of Sri Lanka. Beginning on 23 July 1983, there was an intermittent insurgency against the government by the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (the LTTE, also known as the Tamil Tigers), an independent militant organisation which fought to create an independentTamil state called Tamil Eelam in the north and the east of the island. After a 26-year military campaign, the Sri Lankan military defeated the Tamil Tigers in May 2009, bringing the civil war to an end.

6. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

Thanks for the update. I am at an age where I sometime think what knowledge I have acquired has been scrambled.

Terry Page and Chrissy Cross like this.
  7. Ruby Begonia

Registered

Well, I never knew any of this. I knew Ceylon was a source of tea, but never knew it as Sri Lanka today. Now that I think of it, I recall wondering why a place called Sri Lanka seemed to suddenly appear! It was on some of the labels sewn into clothes.

I was either changing diapers, learning to cook or smoking too much pot. I think I thought George Harrison had something to do with it......oh wait, that was Bangladesh. See, this is what happens to old hippies who eschewed education.