Improving Soc

Discussion in 'Comments on Forum' started by Faye Fox, Feb 1, 2023.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I know. I addressed that, too.

Faye Fox and Beth Gallagher like this.
  2. Kate Ellery

Kate Ellery Supreme Member
    Registered

I’m mostly a “game player” however when I first joined I did take part in discussion parts of the forum only to be criticised / and bounced for my spelling and grammar, so I backed out quick smart and stuck to the games.
    As far as the male members go I’ve never had an issue with anyone with the exception of one who sent me inappropriate PM’s in my early days on here ( no longer here)

Hedi Mitchell and Faye Fox like this.
  3. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

I think my point concerning changing the titles to reflect time on the forum (1- 8 Year member or veteran) rather than status (well-known veteran, supreme) would eliminate a lot of spamming or rapid posting to try and achieve a higher status. I don't understand why seniors need the title incentive based on badges earned to post and participate. You could still offer badges that others could view by going to profiles, but all the titles that do not accurately reflect years of membership but rather the number of posts, seem juvenile to me.

Another suggestion might be since the date one joins is shown, would be to let the members select a title that best describes their life, I.E. Mechanic, Cowboy, Paramedic, Nurse, Scientist, Comedian, Army Vet, Minister, Teacher, etc. They could change it just like their profile photo.

It might be worth pointing out that if I continue to post at my current rate, I won't make Supreme member for 4 or more years. I may not live that long. Now I could play games and post endless memes, videos, and links to articles with little commentary, at a rate of 200 per day or roughly 42,000 during the next 7 months and I could make Supreme member by next September, however, I don't think that is what you or anyone else would consider a member worthy of such a title.

I am not unhappy with the forum as is, just suggesting what I think would attract new members and encourage them to stay and also might get members that have left to return.

John West likes this.
  4. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

@Ken Anderson

"The games section does pose a problem separate from the others, and that's not lost on me, in that, so many of the games posts are one-word answers, yet they are counted as a post, so some of the most prolific members are prolific because they play the games a lot (but then, we also have people who will fire off four or five posts in the same thread within two minutes). I get that, and I believe that I do have the capability of not counting game posts as posts because I thought about doing that once. However, if I made that change, I think that it will be retroactive, which would demote the gamers, which could cause hard feelings among another segment of the forum. I don't want to alienate the gamers because I think that section of the forum has a role in what we do here, as well."

It wouldn't bother me in the least if you get rid of all my numbers, likes, and Supreme Member badge. I don't come here to gather awards, I come to enjoy the company of friends, play games, and offer an opinion if I have one. I haven't asked but I'm pretty sure the rest of the game players feel the same.

5. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Thank you Shirley That is the kind of input I was seeking. You come here as many do to interact and have fun. That helps my point that seniors shouldn't need awards and titles to encourage them to participate. I also think it is always important for a forum to recognize its long-term members simply by showing the years they have been a member. I enjoy games if they are challenging, but so many on forums require little thought.

6. Shirley Martin

Registered

Well, @Faye Fox , we're not trying to prove how smart we are, just bumping along trying to have fun. :p

7. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

My point about playing simple games wasn't proving how smart or ignorant I am, but rather challenging my mind a bit more than elementary games and fighting dementia. I fear dementia more than cancer.

Shirley Martin likes this.
  8. Shirley Martin

Registered

I have often said that if I had to have one or the other; I'd rather have cancer. I know many people who have beaten cancer but I don't know anybody who has ever beaten Alzheimer's.

Faye Fox likes this.
  9. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

DITTO! If I don't know who I am or remember my past then I see no reason to live. As far as choosing cancer or dementia, I choose to have neither. :)

Shirley Martin likes this.
  10. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

I don't know that many of us worry about titles or post counts...they are just "there."

Honestly, the only time I worry about my post count is when I think I talk too much relative to others.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2023
  11. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Exactly.

Hedi Mitchell likes this.
  12. Kate Ellery

Kate Ellery Supreme Member
    Registered

I’m like @Shirley Martin I come here to have a giggle with friends in games …not to get any rewards for doing so
    I remember @Ken Anderson gave away a gift card I believe may have been? for the most posts ..the same member won it twice in a short period of time …..I don’t mind sayin (at the time I thought it was un fair) …

13. Shirley Martin

Registered

Hey! Ken never gave me anything! What am I , the redheaded stepchild???????:eek::)

14. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

Members with a certain post limit were eligible, but the winner was chosen by a random number generator.

Kate Ellery likes this.
  15. Shirley Martin

Registered

I don't even remember that.