In-home Security

Discussion in 'Home Improvement' started by Cody Fousnaugh, Aug 20, 2019.

1. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

In March we had a new security system installed similar to the Ring but not as expensive. It says "Camera recording.' when someone approaches the house or of any movement on the front porch. Even though our backyard is fenced I didn't elect to have a camera on the back doorbell. When I figure out how to install the one my son gave me it's going there.

Lois Winters and Beth Gallagher like this.
  2. Peter Renfro

Peter Renfro Veteran Member
    Registered

We have two dogs a shotgun and a game camera aimed at the driveway.

3. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Except for the dogs (and having more than one game cam), this sounds like me.

I dog would be a handy addition. Houses here are so far apart from each other, and as others have said, the first deputy on the scene would be at least 30 minutes.

4. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

We have 2 dogs and a loaded revolver within arm's reach.

No issues in the 21 years that we've lived in the High Desert.

Hal

5. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

First, do you have one or any home security camera/cameras at all?

We have a Blink security camera we bought on Amazon. It's one camera, for video or pictures that sits on our bar, facing our front door. It hooks into our WiFi System and I have a iPhone App to run it. I could be in NYC, go on the App and see "live" into our living room/front door 24 hours any day.

Had it set one time and Maintenance came in, pre-approved by us, and it done a video of her coming in. A very clear video. We don't use it all of the time, only when we know we are going to be out when it's dark or on a trip.

We are now thinking about, and it's in our "Wish" area of Amazon, a front door camera. I'm hearing about packages at not only houses, but apartments, be stolen by people coming up to the door and taking them. Thru the year, we get a number of door deliveries from Amazon.

What do you think?

Don Alaska likes this.
  6. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

We have one of the Blink Amazon securities as well, and @Bobby Cole set it up outside so that ot catches anyone coming up to our front porch, or walking across the lawn near the sidewalk.
    He has another one, a different brand, set up on the fence that faces down the driveway, so we can see if anyone is near our vehicle.

Bobby usually watches for the delivery people, and picks up any packages that we are expecting, so we really have not worried about packages being stolen; but it is definitely something that many people do have to be concerned about.

7. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Only times we keep our vehicle outside is in the summer and, even at that, not that often. We rent an enclosed garage and that's where it goes most of the time. Before getting the garage, we would always set the alarm in the vehicle.

As far as package deliveries go, most of the time we either see them delivered or check outside different times during the day. If something is delivered by Amazon, they have a map that I can check to see where the Prime van is and wait for the delivery to get to us.

8. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

The Blinks are an Amazon product and in order to use their cloud system, one has to pair up with Amazon and pay x amount of money per month or year. They’re cheap to buy but to have all the bells and whistles that go with it, there’s a price which more than makes up for the initial outlay of cash and can be expensive.
    On the other hand, the Arlo has it’s own WiFi system and I set it to delete whatever it stores every 72 hours. The bad part of the Arlos is that they’re hard to pair up.
    As an add on, I also installed 3 solar flood lights with motion detectors around the perimeter of the house and they pretty much look like cameras with lights.

It would seem to me though, that if I was thinking about moving into an apartment complex and it didn’t already have well lit up areas complete with cameras, that would be the end of thinking about moving into that complex.

Don Alaska likes this.
  9. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Our complex does have security camera’s, but nothing for each resident’s front door, inside or out, or for the walkway going from sidewalk to resident’s door. But, there is a light by each front door that goes on at dusk.

When we lived at a complex in Jacksonville, Fl., someone tried tuning out from door doorknob after we said “we have no more Halloween candy” and turned off outdoor Halloween lights. Scared the heck out of us!

10. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I have several security cameras and am considering a few more. Most are not on line and have their own hard drive that holds for a week. We also have a wonderful driveway sensor that only picks up vehicles. We have and optical one as well, but that picks up every fox, moose, bird or branch that goes by.

Yvonne Smith and Bobby Cole like this.
  11. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

I've thought about getting a security camera in the past. I know this sounds incredibly naive, but I think I'd rather not know if someone is snooping around, as long as they aren't successful at breaking in. I would think differently if I lived in a neighborhood that was not as safe and there were a lot of break-ins reported.

Having one at the front door might be OK just out of curiosity to see who comes by. Most people with nefarious intentions probably wouldn't go to the front door except for package bandits. As far as I know I've never had any packages stolen either, but I don't order that much delivered.

I had a motion activated light at the back door years ago. Whenever it would come on at night it scared me momentarily. It was often just a possum or raccoon. Sometimes even leaves blowing in the wind would activate it. I finally turned it off because the neighbor complained it was keeping her awake at night.

Bobby Cole and Don Alaska like this.
  12. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

There is some validity to that ,@Nancy Hart but it is good to have documentation should your property be vandalized or things be stolen. You don't have to monitor the cameras constantly. I sure don't, but I have found it handy to record incidents and save them in case they are needed for the police or court action. Actually, sometimes I use them to find my wife when she is wandering the property.

13. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Well, from the replies I've got so far, we are pretty convinced that we should get the door security camera we seen on Amazon. Thanks for the comments.

And, one thing is for sure: There are those that can be somewhat overly confident that they live in a safe area.

14. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

I've thought of installing cameras, but would not do Blink or Ring because they get uploaded and saved on servers. The invasion of my privacy is creepy.

I did have game cameras set up when I first moved in to catch 4 legged critters and 2 legged ones, but now that I'm retired I know what goes on during the day.

15. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

We sometimes use the games cameras for areas beyond the reach of our Wi-Fi, but our house camera, like I said, are stored locally in my office. I have one solar-powered one (so far) that I really like. I don't think it is stored on a sever, but it may be. I have a chip installed and if the chip is removed, there is only live feed and (as far as I can determine) the data is stored nowhere. The new version of the solar camera even tracks movement, which could be a little spooky.

Bobby Cole and John Brunner like this.