In-home Security

Discussion in 'Home Improvement' started by Cody Fousnaugh, Aug 20, 2019.

1. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I don't mind that stuff in remote regions (unless it's uploaded via the web), but I would not want to live in suburbia where ever daggone neighbor had monitoring devices capturing my every move. If I recall correctly, Amazon has an online form for the police to fill out to make it easy to cleanly request copies of the RING videos they store on their server.

Now that I think about it, I wonder if there's any way to really tell whether or not the data is being uploaded somewhere. Between the Chinese and the Fed, I got real trust issues.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2022
    Bobby Cole and Don Alaska like this.
  2. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

That is why I expressed doubt about the storage of camera data. The Chinese store A LOT of stuff, including all the DNA profiles they can get, but the coverage of the remote camera I use would not give much data that could be used, as there is little traffic except wildlife and I doubt the Chi Coms really care about that.

Bobby Cole and John Brunner like this.
  3. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I don't have any dedicated security cameras but I have motion-detecting lights in the front and back of the house, as well as on the front porch, and I have about ten game cameras that I move around to different places in the back and side yards. I don't have any in the front because they'd fill up the SD card with cars going by. Of course, the problem with game cameras is that they can be stolen or vandalized, although that hasn't happened to me yet. A few of them are secured to trees with a chain and padlock and I make a point of placing a couple of them high enough in a tree that a ladder is required. Of course, the ladders are readily available to anyone who might want to use it.

Still, this works. Although I have lost a roof rake and a couple of other things over the years, I haven't lost anything since I started putting the cameras up. I think the comparatively small number of people who would steal something from me are opportunists, and trying to figure out where the cameras are without being caught by one or two of them that they might have missed makes it just too much trouble for them.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2022
    Bobby Cole and Don Alaska like this.