Indoor Range

Discussion in 'Guns & Weapons' started by Cody Fousnaugh, Nov 27, 2022.

1. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Don't count your thumbs before you get the reloaders, @Cody Fousnaugh . Some of them are difficult to use.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  2. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Well, once two of them, for the 9 and for the .22, come in, will let you and the forum know how easy, or hard, using each is. Actually, would rather use full hand to use a reload, than using my thumb and pushing hard to get an ammo into the magazine. We just bought a new 9mm magazine and I thought our old magazines were hard to push down ammo to go in, the new one is really hard to push the yellow thing down that loads each bullet. We used our thumb, just to try it out, and could hardly push it down at all. Very, very, VERY stiff!

Don Alaska likes this.
  3. Ed Marsh

Ed Marsh Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Good evening to all-
    My 'range" is a bale of hay with a thick target on top. and that's what I shoot my arrows at. I don't need any sort of other range since I choose to not have guns in the house anyway. I enjoy my archery a lot. you all be safe and keep well- Ed

4. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

I have the same range at the farm.;)

Alan Sidlo and Don Alaska like this.
  5. Alan Sidlo

Alan Sidlo Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

ditto... that and coffee cans in the burn pile.

Mary Stetler and Bobby Cole like this.
  6. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Well, there are those here that are lucky they can shoot on their property. Then, there are those, like us, that have to go to a range.

7. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Arrows or not, my wife wouldn't be pleased if I brought bales of hay into the house for an indoor range. The cats would probably enjoy the hay, though. At least, until I started shooting arrows into it.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2022
    Don Alaska and Mary Stetler like this.
  8. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Got the Hilljak .22 Reloader yesterday (from Amazon) for our Sig Sauer .22 Mosquito and the reloader works absolutely perfect. Tried it out this morning and couldn't believe how fast I loaded a .22 magazine. Gave the product a 5-Star review on Amazon. The cost was great also.

Don Alaska likes this.
  9. Thomas Windom

Thomas Windom Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Agree about attending a proper range. I worked as an RSO at The Machine Gun Nest here in Maryland for 2 1/2 years when it initially opened. It could get very busy at times. We tried to make things safe for users. All booths were fully armored, top, bottom and both sides. No one could shoot unless there was an RSO on the line, sometimes two or more when busy. All machine gun and heavy caliber rentals (they have a rental Barrett .50 BMG) required an RSO for that one shooter. Still though, it has left me being very nervous any time I am around any one handling a gun. People…:eek:

10. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

It is frightening to see how "casual" some people are with firearms. To see sales skyrocket while the absolute number of homicides and accidents continues to decline (meaning the rates are really plummeting) gives me hope. But unmanaged ranges are the worse. That's where you get a number of casual shooters all bunched up together in one spot.

11. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Well, yesterday, almost done a "Bo-Bo" concerning our Henry Lever-Action .22 Rifle. Wanted to make sure the Ludex Rifle Tubular Magazine Speed Loader worked. Had already loaded each tube on the Loader with .22's. Got the rifle and took out the magazine tube rod, covered the slot hand loader on the side of the magazine with my thumb and poured one tube of ammo in. Put the tube rod back in and locked it. The Ludex filled the magazine tube nicely, but decided I didn't want the ammo to stay in the rifle. Undone the tube rod, took it out and emptied the ammo out. Problem was, I was missing one .22 in the top of the Ludex Rifle Tubular Magazine Speed Loader.

So, took off the trigger lock and wrap-around lock for the lever-action. Done the lever-action part way and, sure enough, there was a .22 still in the rifle, ready to go into the firing chamber. That was the bullet that didn't come out when I emptied the magazine tube back into the Ludex. I was able to get that one .22 out and then knew the entire rifle was empty of ammo.

If I would've done the Lever-Action and pulled the trigger, to find out if a bullet was still in the rifle, the rifle would've shot inside of our apartment. That would've meant someone would've called local P.D. and, most likely, we'd been evicted.............with a bullet hole in the wall!

Instead, playing it safe, I only done the lever-action enough to see the bullet going into the firing chamber and removed it. Lucky me!

12. John Brunner

-Gun
    -Ammo
    -Human

If there are only 2 of those things present, nothing bad is gonna happen.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  13. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Well, don't know about that, John. But, do know, and thank the Dear Lord for, that I decided to check the firing chamber for the missing .22 bullet. My wife said "thank God you know about gun safety"..........and she is right.

John Brunner likes this.
  14. John Brunner

-A gun & ammo without a human are not gonna do anything.
    -A human with a gun but no ammo is not going to do anything.
    -A human with ammo but no gun is not gonna do anything.

It's a basic rule when you're cleaning a gun or handling it inside...don't have any ammo in the room and you're Good To Go.

I don't like to rag on people, but you were loading a rifle in an apartment complex just to play with a new speed loader. That is not "gun safety."

Mary Stetler and Yvonne Smith like this.
  15. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

John, I was NOT playing with the new speed loader! What I was doing is checking to make sure it worked with our Henry and the only way to do that was to load the Henry. The Henry doesn't use a clip/magazine, like our Sig Sauer Mosquito and Smith & Wesson 9mm does. So, all I had to do with those two, to make sure the speed loaders worked on them, was to load the magazines. No need to put the magazine into each of those.

Don't you test something out after you buy it, to make sure it works and you don't have to return it? That's what I was doing. What I didn't know was, that, in using the speed loader on the Henry, that a bullet would stay in the rifle, ready to be put into the chamber. All of the rest of the bullets slid out when I tilted the rifle. No problem.