Indoor Range

Discussion in 'Guns & Weapons' started by Cody Fousnaugh, Nov 27, 2022.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Learning how to use a new piece of equipment makes sense to me. If I bought something I wasn't familiar with, before I took it to the gun range to make a fool out of myself, I'd figure it out first. Of course, some people have no problem admitting that they don't know how to do something, but I prefer to figure things out for myself in private. Then again, I never learned to skate as a child because I couldn't admit that I didn't already know how to skate.

John Brunner likes this.
  2. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

If I were unsure of what I were doing, the last place I'd load/unload a gun with live ammo would be in an apartment complex.

3. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

I re-read my reply here and decided it really didn't match my thread. So, deleted it.

4. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Now, John, just what would be the difference between doing it in a house or in an apartment? If the house was miles from another house, the shot wouldn't be heard. The farm I spent my high school years on, was just that way. Nearest neighbor wasn't close at all. But, if in a housing development, with neighbors on either side of the person, it would be reported/called into 911. Then, if the house was part of an HOA, the HOA would have something to say about what happened.

5. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

The primary difference is the people living all around you in an apartment. But you're right, it should not be done anywhere but the range.

For all the whining you do about people not following the dumpster rules, you actually refuse to follow range rules or basic safety with a deadly weapon...and you won't even consider that you need to "do better" with it.

6. Ken Anderson

When you live in a city, you don't have a lot of options. Going into an alley could be problematic.

Cody Fousnaugh likes this.
  7. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

John, please read the last two replies that Ken wrote, then (hopefully) you'll understand.

8. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Went to the Range this morning and took our Sig Sauer Mosquito .22 and the Smith & Wesson 9MM. Wife is learning more and better with each visit. Getting to be a pretty good shot! To a point, her entire family thinks she is nuts for liking firearms, but "it is what it is".

This time, before we went into the Range, I took out my hearing aids and we both put on our ear/hearing protection. Mine is electronic, meaning that I can hear someone talk to me, but don't hear gunfire, or at least not that loud of gunfire.

Ken Anderson likes this.
  9. Ken Anderson

Electronic ear protection? How does that work? When I worked at the paper company, I had a set of hearing protection that protected me against dangerous decibels, while allowing me to carry on a conversation with someone, but it wasn't electronic.

10. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Same as mine Ken, but mine are battery operated with roll up and down (off and on, with volume control).

Ken Anderson likes this.
  11. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

There was a family at the Range. Mom, dad and four young adult kids. I pointed out my wife to them, told them her age and the type of handgun she shoots (the Smith & Wesson 9mm) and they were very impressed. Guess because of her age. And, they saw her shoot it. One of them said “amazing”!

Ken Anderson likes this.
  12. Thomas Windom

Thomas Windom Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

The electronic ones work by clamping high volume sound. In an environment that has constant high noise levels, they effectively dampen that sound but only about the same amount as a good pair of regular muffs. Also, it is nearly impossible to hear people speak under those conditions because the muting is always applied.

At the indoor range, when it was just normal intermittent shots being fired, they worked great. I could turn up the volume sufficiently to clearly hear someone talking, despite wearing the muffs, but shots were dampened effectively. When the full autos were going, I couldn’t hear anyone talking, fully clamped.

Ken Anderson likes this.
  13. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Funny, but when we tell anyone that nobody in my wife's family likes firearms, or has any, they wonder why. Well, there was one exception, her mother. When my wife was young, her mom would go deer hunting in Michigan and brought down a nice one.

Actually, I was extremely surprised when my wife showed interest in firearms when we went to a few Gun/Rifle Shows here in Colorado. Our Ruger 10-22 was the first rifle we bought for Christmas in 2002. After that, came the Remington Express Shotgun, that ended up being too heavy/long for her to shoot. Then, the Winchester Lever-Action 30-30 Rifle. At the time of buying it, we thought I'd go elk hunting, but that never happened. That Winchester really had some recoil to it! Too much!! Ended up selling both Remington and Winchester to a gun store. Outdoor Ranges here are very costly per day or membership and are miles east of us. The Ruger, Henry Lever-Action .22 and the Sig Sauer Mosquito .22 have very little recoil, so it's definitely fun shooting them. The 9mm S & W, has some recoil, but definitely not like a 357 or 44.

But, anyway, any folks we tell, and show pictures to, of wife shooting her 9mm, they think it's very, very cool. But, the definitely get somewhat shocked when they find out that nobody in her family has any firearms and/or completely dislikes them.

And, despite how some feel about "locked up" firearms, that's exactly how ours are. Trigger locks and a wrap-around lock for the Henry Lever-Action lever. All firearms in a glass Gun/Rifle case that locks.

14. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Well, I wound up with ringing in my left ear, some six years ago. I was told by a hearing doctor that it was due to going to the range, even though I was wearing noise protection. However, at times, had to pull off to hear my wife say something to me. The ringing in my ear continues, but not bad enough to cause me any problems. However, today I now wear VA hearing aids daily that are very high-tech. They are the Oticon brand, which were form-fitted to each ear and run thru my iPhone 13 Blue-Tooth. They are excellent, and after getting a hearing test (free) from the local VA, they gave the hearing aids for free as well.

15. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I don’t know the total design but it would seem to me that a lock on a glass case for your weapons is rather counterintuitive. It’s a given that locks only keep honest people honest but if a thief were to want one or all of them, smash and grab does come to mind.

I would think that keeping them out of sight and know where they are would be much better than to display them.