Insanely Stupid Tv Shows

Discussion in 'Movies & Entertainment' started by Cody Fousnaugh, Jan 5, 2024.

1. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Outlaw replaced Circle in the Richmond market, while The365 (a black-centric channel) replaced Circle in Charlottesville (I receive both markets.) These changes happened nationwide, as Circle moved to a streaming service. All 3 channels are owned by the same company. Article

I get those same channels as you, with the same exception of the Game Show channel. I'm curious as to what OTA station @Ed Wilson receives games on.

Don Alaska likes this.
  2. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I think the game show channel was on air for a short period here, but perhaps it received no viewership. I don't think we get it now, but I can look.

John Brunner likes this.
  3. John Brunner

It doesn't matter (meaning thanks but don't bother.) I know that it's not available OTA from Charlottesville/Harrisonburg or Richmond. I receive 52 channels with my setup, many of them duplicates from the 2 markets, that sometimes diverge but mostly overlap in programming.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2024
    Don Alaska likes this.
  4. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

While scrolling through Amazon Prime, I came across Northern Exposure. While it was originally on the air, local radio and newspapers would discuss all the errors and stupid stuff in the show. It wasn't filmed in Alaska as it was found to be too expensive to film here, so they found a small town in Washington state (Roslyn, Washington) to represent a small town in Southeast Alaska. The thing that always bothered me the most was their references to driving to Sleetmute to go to the drive-in theater and the 24-hour pharmacy. I have been to Sleetmute, and there are no roads there, it is in the interior as the fork of the Kuskokwim and the Holitna rivers. Not only is there no drive-in there, but there is no pharmacy of any kind. In fact there was no store when I was there, but I think some guy had stuff in his house for sale. They probably have a small airstrip but I don't remember one, and the nearest real airport was at Aniak 78 miles away. They probably land planes on the river or ice.

If you really want to go there, here is a fun way to do it:D

Krystal Shay and John Brunner like this.
  5. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Supreme Member
    Registered

The stories on Blue Bloods are pretty good. And there are a couple good actors on that show, but Tom Selleck isn't one of them. He mostly just scrunches up his face, and sighs a lot. I think he is trying to imitate the Clark Gable scowl. Then he says wise things.

(Just my opinion) . [​IMG]

6. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

My thought on stupid shows is they need the money or exposure. Well known actors are in them to build up producers, directors and such and of course the show. There have been plenty of times that I'll see an actor that is faintly familiar and then I'll recall a stupid show that I seen them in. :D They've come a long way, baby. :D

John Brunner likes this.
  7. John Brunner

Sometimes I think it goes full circle.
    -They start off in dumb shows as they build their careers.
    -They end in dumb shows as their careers dwindle, but they still got rent to pay.
    I've seen a few elder statesmen (and stateswomen) in "pity parts."

Don Alaska and Von Jones like this.
  8. Celia Jenkins

Celia Jenkins Well-Known Member
    Registered

Surely the public get the tv shows they want? Any new series which fails to attract a decent number of viewers is taken off air. Therefore the popular ones are the ones which do attract viewers. I think we should ask ourselves, 'What do the television programmes tell us about the population? How easy is it to influence people through tv?
    I'm concerned about the number of sleazy programmes which promote an obsession with sex. Do they inspire men to commit sex crimes?
    The oldies like 'The Waltons' and 'Bonanza', promoted family ties and values. They seem old-fashioned now but perhaps modern programmes reflect what society has lost.

9. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

Bobby and I were talking about this last night. The television shows and movies show horrible violence, filthy language, nudity and explicit sex, transgender, and lbgtq even in kids programs like Disney; but no one can be smoking a cigarette in any movie or program. Doing drugs, fine…… smoking tobacco…..not allowed.
    I am sticking with reading books, or maybe watching an old movie, but that is it for me.

10. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

Ever notice that the A-Team, a group of supposedly Special Ops guys, shoot a lot and blow stuff up a lot but nobody ever gets hit or killed on either side. Fortunately for the Special Ops guys, the "bad guys" are as poor shots as they are.:)

11. John Brunner

In westerns, nearly everyone instantly dies with just one shot. And shotguns make the bad guy fly backwards while the guy holding the shotgun remains stationary.

Jenna Parnellson and Don Alaska like this.