1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Instant Coffee, Yes Or No?

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Yvonne Smith, Jun 5, 2021.

1. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I wonder if you could cold-brew the cocoa mixture. When I was in Bolivia in the boonies, they simply roasted the coffee beans, ground them up, and put them in cold water for a day or two--very high ratio of coffee to water--about 20%--then they diluted the syrup to the strength they wanted. No refrigeration, but it seemed to keep just fine for a long time.

2. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

That's interesting. That's similar to what @Bobby Cole's ex-MIL did by brewing a thick batch to make her own concentrate.

I've wondered how long I could store brewed chicory at room temp. As it is, I brew 6 cups and put it in the fridge for safe keeping. When I amend my pot of coffee with it, it cools the coffee down to the point I have to heat it back up in the microwave. If I thought I could let it sit overnight safely, I could set up the coffee pot the night before and avoid the chilling effect...but I have an aversion to food poisoning.

Regarding your question: I read the comments on Amazon's page for the instant chicory Yvonne and I have been drinking, and lots of people make it with cold water as a cold drink. I saw no such comments with the cacao/cocoa powder or that hybrid drink. I wonder if the cocoa powder would even dissolve in cold water.

Don Alaska and Bobby Cole like this.
  3. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Perhaps you could use hot water on the cocoa/cacao and add it to the cold-brewed coffee, or do some other combination of processes. I think you could safely leave your brew overnight, as the pH of the brew is probably acidic enough to inhibit any bacterial growth. I guess there should be some testing of this however. I have no idea how acidic the chicory brew would be.

Bobby Cole and John Brunner like this.
  4. Tom Galty

Tom Galty Veteran Member
    Registered

Always instant.

John Brunner likes this.
  5. John Brunner

How about your tea, Tom? Bag or loose?

6. Tom Galty

Tom Galty Veteran Member
    Registered

Can not stand tea

Beth Gallagher and John Brunner like this.
  7. John Brunner

See what I get for making assumptions?

I have a cuppa every afternoon...made from loose tea. Coffee is my morning beverage.

Tom Galty likes this.
  8. Ed Wilson

Ed Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

For the one cup a day for breakfast, instant is less work.

9. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Supreme Member
    Registered

Since cool weather I'm drinking coffee again, after a few years of tea only. Always instant. Inherited a couple of stove top percolators and briefly tried them a few years ago. Too much trouble.

When I drink coffee, I drink it all day long. Even making instant got to be too much trouble. So I dragged my father's 32 oz thermos out of the closet last month and have been filling it with instant, including powdered Dollar Store coffee creamer. It doesn't get old in the thermos.

In fact right now I'm drinking a cup from the thermos that was made last night. It's still hot and tastes like it was just made. It's a new routine.

10. Julia Curtis

Julia Curtis Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I use Nescafe Rich myself,but geeze I wouldn't mind trying that kind.

Nancy Hart and Yvonne Smith like this.
  11. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

I have been alternating between the Nu Kaf cocoa and the Chicoraya with my added cocoa, and I really enjoy both of them. Sometimes, I add some of the mushroom powder for the added health benefits and acacia powder for the prebiotics, and sometimes, I just make it straight.

Well, tonight, I discovered a new brand that has the dandelion root as well as chicory mixed with malted barley, and it comes in several flavors.
    I am getting the sample packet to try and see which flavors I prefer and then will order a larger packet if I decide I like this new kind.
    The sample packet has regular, vanilla, caramel, and pumpkin spice. They are all instant, so I only have to heat up the hot water which is simpler than having to actually brew it like the Teeccino.

IMG_5779.jpeg

Don Alaska likes this.
  12. Jan Ahlmann

Jan Ahlmann Well-Known Member
    Registered

Nope, no instant for me. When I first get up, I brew a cup in my Keurig. After I walk Daisy Dog, I make myself a latte. The espresso machine, a Breville Bambino Plus was my Christmas present to me last year and for my birthday in June I bought a electric grinder. There are three coffee roasters within a few miles of my house. Funny thing is, I didn't even start drinking coffee until I was 27!

Don Alaska and Yvonne Smith like this.
  13. Vada Bloom

Vada Bloom Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Tasters Choice is the best instant imo. I usually use pods though. I have a coffee maker like a Keurig but a different brand and it’s very easy and efficient.

14. Yvonne Smith

We had the keurig coffee maker, but both Bobby and I have large mugs (his is over 20 oz) and the k-cups only make about 12 at the most, so he had to make 2 of the 10 oz size to get his mug of coffee.
    In the morning, he uses the percolator and makes a whole pot, so that lasts him longer, then he just brews a mug at a time after that.
    I make one cup in the morning and then use instant , either coffee or the chicory blend.

Don Alaska and Jan Ahlmann like this.
  15. Yvonne Smith

My new Nummy instant coffee substitute arrived yesterday, and I have been trying out the samples that i bought. I tried the plain one first, just to see what the product itself actually tastes like, with no flavoring.
    The flavor is more like Postum, which is okay, but I like the regular chicory flavor better.
    Today, I am trying the caramel, and it is good, but still tastes like Postum. It also takes more of this than the Chicoraya to get the same amount of flavor.
    I will use up the samples, but I am not going to order a full-size package of this brand.

Don Alaska likes this.