Interesting Animal Photos

Discussion in 'Pets & Critters' started by Tony Page, Jul 25, 2021.

1. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

Here's Twinzy, A Half-Sider Budgie, Half-Siders Are Budgies With A Condition Called "Chimerism" Which, In Genetics, Means That It's The Result Of Non-Identical Twins Fusing Together Early In Their Development To Become One!

637b37d3b18aa_ak5p2vk92bv81__700.jpg

2. Dwight Ward

Dwight Ward Veteran Member
    Registered

Bee A Ute T Full bird. A chimera is a being made of different pieces. It's apt. I've never heard of that particular genetic miracle. Does the green side's half brain argue with the blue side's half brain? Do they try to fly in different directions?

Last edited: Nov 30, 2022
  3. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

Those are all good questions, is everything split down the middle? I guess so but it's just very odd.

4. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

The Chimera--according to Greek mythology--was a monstrous fire-breathing hybrid creature, composed of different animal parts from Lycia, Asia Minor. It is usually depicted as a lion, with the head of a goat protruding from its back, and a tail that might end with a snake's head.

[​IMG]

While the common definition of actual chimeras in humans is an individual who has received a transplant of genetically and immunologically different tissue, there are other known cases of human chimera, being defined as people with two sets of DNA.

1-A fetus can absorb its twin. This can occur with fraternal twins, if one embryo dies very early in pregnancy, and some of its cells are "absorbed" by the other twin. The remaining fetus will have two sets of cells, its own original set, plus the one from its twin.

2-More commonly, people may exhibit so-called microchimerism—when a small fraction of their cells are from someone else. This can happen when a woman becomes pregnant, and a small number of cells from the fetus migrate into her blood and travel to different organs. A 2015 study suggested that this happens in almost all pregnant women, at least temporarily. In some cases, fetal cells may stay in a woman's body for years...even for life.

5. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

That explains it that's why half of me feels good and the other half feels terrible it's those damn microchiminism. Haha ---- I wonder if this affects the organs that are contaminated.
    Strange but interesting.

Marie Mallery and John Brunner like this.
  6. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

Correct we do this with plants species also. I took plant science in Hort class and the basic difference in humans and plants are plants have cell walls humans have bones.
    I wonder if they really did mate one specie with another in ancient times. I We know they did to get the mule, who is part horse and part donkey, right?
    Chimera could be although the specie of donk and horse are both of the equine, so maybe not?

Tony Page likes this.
  7. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

I had a bird called a mule it could not be bred but back in my earlier days it was considered the best commercial singing bird. It was a cross between a canary and the European goldfinch.
    Even with his cage covered as soon as the sun came up it would start singing it was like the Caruso of birds, I didn't like it waking me up but I did enjoy the songs. I'm sure they're wild birds that could give it competition, like the Mockingbird I enjoy listening to it also.

Marie Mallery likes this.
  8. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

I bet it had a nice tune, one part sang base the other tenor,;)

Mary Stetler and Tony Page like this.
  9. John Brunner

Takes the edge off of being labeled schizophrenic, don't it?

I'm gonna wander a little off-topic for this fascinating subject, then come back to it:

Here is an article on 10 documented chimeric humans, to include the case of a woman who temporarily lost custody of her children because a DNA test "proved" that she was not their mother...but she was. The court sent a witness to first-hand observe the birth of her most recent child (she was pregnant with her 3rd at the time), and to observe the samples being taken for a court-ordered test. Tests once again concluded that she was not the mother. A cervical smear later matched the two as mother and child. This was in 2009 here in the states.

Regarding that parakeet: Chimera coloring happens when multiple fertilized eggs merge in the womb. This means that chimera animals have two sets of DNA. Sometimes they even have both male and female organs and two blood types (link.) There are pics of chimeric critters on that site, to include your keet. Here are a couple of others:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Even though the condition more obviously manifests itself in critters, we don't really think much of unusual coloring. But when some humans have more that one set of DNA, it resonates more...it's almost a blurring of identity.

10. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

Amazing, imagine if it can be controlled you can have designer pets.
    How about using it in a murder mystery novel it's not my DNA that killed her/him it was the other one.
    Wonder if there's ever been half man half woman?

John Brunner and Marie Mallery like this.
  11. John Brunner

Here's an excerpt from one of those 10 Chimeras I linked to:

"Chris long had a bone marrow transplantation to save his life. Three months later, his blood DNA had changed, but this is a normal and the goal of the procedure. But after four years, he discovered his lips and cheeks also contain DNA from his donor, even all his semen start to belong to his donor. He said, “I thought it was pretty incredible that I can disappear and someone else appears.

Your idea has possibilities...

Last edited: Dec 1, 2022
    Marie Mallery and Tony Page like this.
  12. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

A Black Heron Using Its Wings Like An Umbrella, Creating Shade To Attract Fish, A Behavior Known As Canopy Feeding.
    __700.jpg

13. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

The Indian giant squirrel or Malabar giant squirrel (Ratufa indica) is a large multi-colored tree squirrel species endemic to forests and woodlands in India.

8_facts-310.jpg

14. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

Hope people don't start bringing them over as pets and then changing their minds and setting them free like they did with pythons.

15. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

The Appaloosa Is An American Horse Breed Known For Its Distinctive And Colorful Leopard Complex-Spotted Coat. Each Horse's Color Pattern Is Genetically The Result Of Various Overlay Patterns On One Of Several Recognized Base Coat Colors. This Particular Appaloosa Is Sporting A Peacock-Leopard Coat.

7__700.jpg