Interesting Science Stuff

Discussion in 'Science & Nature' started by Thomas Windom, Mar 6, 2023.

1. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

My friend's son-in-law was recently diagnosed with prostate cancer; he's around 50 and they aren't treating it. He was told that it was slow-growing and that they will monitor it, but no treatment. That just seems so weird.

Don Alaska likes this.
  2. Thomas Windom

Thomas Windom Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Yeah, it would give me the creeps knowing for sure I had a cancer slowly growing in my body. Not sure what I would do.

Don Alaska and Beth Gallagher like this.
  3. Thomas Windom

Registered

First experimental wormhole…

”By deploying a novel computing scheme, revealed in the journal Quantum Science and Technology, which harnesses the basic laws of physics, a small object can be reconstituted across space without any particles crossing. Among other things, it provides a "smoking gun" for the existence of a physical reality underpinning our most accurate description of the world.”

”Plans are now in progress, in collaboration with leading U.K. quantum experts in Bristol, Oxford and York, to physically build this otherworldly-sounding wormhole in the lab.”

https://phys.org/news/2023-03-counterportation-quantum-breakthrough-paves-world-first.html

4. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

Didn't they see the newer version of The Fly?

5. Thomas Windom

Registered

Nancy Hart likes this.
  6. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

What's your opinion on freezing dead people than bring them back to life (if possible) when there's a cure for the disease they had.

This Berlin-based startup aims to bring you back from the dead.
    Using pioneering medical techniques, German scientists hope to one day find a way to restart the heart, awaken the mind, and ''resurrect'' those who were once gone.
    A team of German doctors is pushing the boundaries of what was long thought to be impossible - they're attempting to cheat death, bringing humans back to life.
    Tomorrow Biostasis, a Berlin-based company, is leading the charge to challenge death itself. With liquid nitrogen as their alchemy ingredient, they have already frozen over ten deceased humans in the hope of someday reversing mortality and restoring life.

My only question is why???
    Unless you're Einstein or some other genius that could contribute something to better mankind that nobody else can do why???

Don Alaska likes this.
  7. Thomas Windom

Registered

I used to do a lot of electron microscopy and it was easy to see cellular level damage from unsuccessful preservation. Vitrification is a valid means of reducing or eliminating damage due to ice crystal formation when freezing living tissue. Because the samples for microscopy were so small, we could avoid ice crystal growth by near instantaneous freezing. That’s impossible with current technology for something the size of a human so perfusion with cryoprotectant and subsequent vitrification if about the only reasonable approach.

Having said all that, it appears (I had to search because didn’t know) no large animals have been successfully revived, or maybe it hasn’t even been attempted. Mouse embryos have been revived with some success. ( https://www.jstage.jst.go.jp/article/expanim/61/2/61_2_139/_article/-char/ja/ ) What is surprising to me is that some very small organisms have been revived apparently with largely intact memories. The search is below so, who knows, maybe some day but it doesn’t look like we’re there yet, in terms of successful revivals.

https://scholar.google.com/scholar?hl=en&as_sdt=0,21&q=successful+revival+of+vitrified+animals&btnG=

One final thought is that, if a person is sick enough that their ailment kills them and then they’re frozen, I’d say their odds of being successfully revived would be slim. They’d be “revived” to a state of death. If the person still had some life remaining and this was done before dying, then the odds would probably be significantly better.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2023
    Tony Page likes this.
  8. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

I understand technically we're not there yet, however if we could revive people back to life after death should we? Is there going to be enough food, housing etc.? How is the new life paid for, especially if their funds run out due to the expense of the cryogenics process.
    Seems to me that this process is only for the very rich.

Marie Mallery likes this.
  9. Thomas Windom

Registered

I have no doubt of that. They are the only ones WORTH reviving! Insert sarcasm emoji here.

Tony Page likes this.
  10. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

My memory may not be correct but I remember reading the Russians dug up a small dinosaur that was buried in Siberia, it was intact, preserved, when they defrosted it, it survived for a short while. There may have been filmed footage of this event.

11. Thomas Windom

Registered

If you have a reference on that, I’d like to read it. Under natural conditions, ice crystal formation should have led to catastrophic cell and tissue damage. DNA however might have survived just fine. It might have been possible then to use that DNA to attempt recreate the animal. (Shades of Jurassic Park!).

Tony Page likes this.
  12. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

You're probably right my memory is not that great or it might have been a hoax probably about 30 years ago I read that. All I can find was they found tiny worms that were 42,000 years old. Here's what I found about dinosaurs:
    Other than birds, however, there is no scientific evidence that any dinosaurs, such as Tyrannosaurus, Velociraptor, Apatosaurus, Stegosaurus, or Triceratops, are still alive. These, and all other non-avian dinosaurs became extinct at least 65 million years ago at the end of the Cretaceous Period.

13. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I can't imagine why a person would want to be brought back to life, especially if a significant amount of time had passed. The world would be different, probably all their friends and family gone, etc.

I remember that old commercial, "It's not nice to fool mother nature." There's a certain amount of truth to that.

Tony Page likes this.
  14. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

Truthfully I think it's a waste of money and Manpower.

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  15. Thomas Windom

Registered

Anybody here see that science fiction series “Altered Carbon”? They had people they referred to as “Meths” a derivative of Methuselah because they were essentially immortal. They referred to physical bodies as sleeves because you wore them as long as you needed and then simply transferred your consciousness into a new one when the old one wore out. What was interesting was, in their desire to experience novelty, they increasingly indulged in base, morally bankrupt behavior and some actually thought of themselves as gods. Obviously the wealth they accumulated over centuries was phenomenal. It’s a graphic show so not for the faint of heart. I liked the first season, the dark, brooding main character and Kristin Lehman is a favorite actress of mine. Second season, meh.

Tony Page likes this.